1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please register or sign in to get full access to the forum.

Adding a DLC to SSL steam

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by astrofluxy, Jan 16, 2016.

1. astrofluxy

astrofluxy Corporal (5) Member

Seriously now... SSL steam comes with very nice graphics, a nice gameplay and surely a lot of new stuff. But absolutely no one plays it except for some high levels. And we all know the problem: No low level has a decent opportunity to level up or grow up fast enough. I know a lot of you hate payment stuff especially if the base concept of the game was a different one. But we have to add a starter DLC for at least some chances! I don't care if this DLC just raises you up to level 30 instantly or giving you some weapons for the start or double XP, but something needs to be done. Weapon ideas are available at the Weapon suggestion thread and the base idea is available too. Just please: Make it happen! Or add some more >GOOD< weapons into the lower levels.

regards ~

2. RumMumMario

RumMumMario Lieutenant General (23) Member

No, DLC is definitely not a good idea. Absolutely not, this game is already bad at its current state and it will just turn the game into another DLC fest; pay + grind to win game. He should only make DLC for soundtracks or something. As for weapons, high levels can buy them too and it's impossible to set who can buy which DLC based on a user's in-game level.

I don't know why we can't just have 90% of the weapons do similar damage or scramble the good weapons around with low-tier ones. That is the simplest yet most efficient solution. DLC will just backfire.

3. Goomba

Goomba Sergeant First Class (9) Member

I agree, DLC should be limited to soundtrack, ingame backgrounds, full tank part sets, etc. Maaaaybe purchaseable mission sets.

No purchaseable weapons, XP boosts, gear boosts, tank upgrades or anything... However, DLC weapon skins, hint hint nudge nudge Kyle.

xXxTnTxXx, Taylor and Awesume like this.
  4. RumMumMario

I think skins should be purchasable through the community market and have them in your inventory. Most games with skins function like that and it's more organized.

GooodHerb and Holy2334 like this.
  5. astrofluxy

Before you disagree with that, i want you to see the game from my perspective.

I started early but never really played it. I might be an early adopter but still i'm level 23. I gave this game many chances after every update and every after it, but nothing in the balance nor in gameplay changed. I am sitting here and write ideas about many solutions, actually created rant threads what i usually don't do and prefer a game with payment walls instead of SSL2. The problem is obvious enough: Kyle WON'T change the balance in SSL Steam and i'm pretty sure about it he never will... instead, higher levels will receive even more strong weapons while we low levels still have to hope to land a hit before we die. What else would you suggest? I think it doesn't matter how we turn or flip it, either adding something that gives a player the opportunity to improve or leave him grinding even more.

No, SSL steam is not fun until you have some weapons that deal some damage. Different to other games SSL steam is really the first game i have played that can't grow in community if it doesn't offer at least one payment option, and yes, i'm very sure about it.

Howsoever, i leave it to you. Either continue playing like this and let the game bleed out until the last cents are squeezed out or add something that actually changes something. Plus it would help Kyle to keep the servers up. Would love to know how many purchases have been made in the past 3 month. Kyle? Answer m8?

6. Goomba

I see it from all perspectives.
    While I agree that the balance won't be changed because it's simply too much to change. Paying is not an option either, or else the game caters to the wealthier people. Paying for high level weapons may deter people from the game, and ultimately lower ratings on reviews. It's happened time and time again.

DLC in a game like this should be focused around aesthetics, or else the balance will get even more chaotic. High level weapons are rewarded upon experience; how much time and effort a person is willing to put into a game. Experience should not be paid for.

I do agree with you that there needs to be more balance to gameplay, but buying things to counter high levels doesn't quite work. It'd be the same as just giving a weapon that does decent damage out at level 11 or something.
    All variables that effect the outcome of a game should never be associated with purchasable content in my personal opinion.

Taylor likes this.
  7. RumMumMario

Yes it does lol. So it doesn't matter if we bomb Paris dozen more times because it already was bombed once?

8. astrofluxy

Add more starter weapons then. Would also mean that high levels get it but low levels can get some decent hits... imo Adding Phantom, Proximity Shot, instant replay, mini tank and wild one would be enough for the first i think... at least i made some great hits with them in SSL2. So yeah.

Goomba likes this.
  9. xXTacocubesXx

xXTacocubesXx Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

kChamp promised SSL veterans would be remembered and rewarded for their dedication, which is more or less exactly how he said it. We haven't gotten anything so far in terms of veteran rewards. So if at all, he'll leave those sorts of things towards the end of development.

Right now kChamp is working for a more streamlined and intuitive look for the game. He's currently focusing on aesthetics rather than adding more content. He says most of us won't see these changes as important for holding a player base. The new lobby is a definite improvement over the old one in my opinion. But at this point, I can only see the new UI as a faster and more intuitive way to see how hollow the game really is.

Hopefully in the months to come, that'll change when he adds stuff like more rewards/ weapons/ improved game mechanics/ etc. So I suppose it doesn't matter what order he does things as long as we get everything we want in the end. So right now, I think we should wait a little longer before complaining to kChamp that these updates are useless and he needs to do something else.

Regarding DLC's and microtransactions. I agree those should be reserved purely for non-game changing, cosmetic bonus items or collectibles just as a way to show further support for the developer.

BUT. There's also that little situation where someone might ask "Hey, how did you get that cool looking tank?" "Hey, how did you get that cool victory song?" "How did you get your weapons to look like that?"

"Oh, I payed for it."

"Oh.."

In my opinion, it'd be more impressive if you had to earn an achievement or something to unlock that kind of stuff. It's more motivating that way. That way instead of answering "Oh.." He'll answer, "Whoa.. Can you help me unlock that? Friend me on steam!" This would help encourage growth in the community more than making us pay money for them. And I think this could be true for every other game with microtransactions as well. Community over profit.

Even if the only way to get stuff like that was to buy them, kChamp should make us pay them with our 5000 gears that we never get to spend. And no way is he going to make us pay money for gears..

Awesume, Goomba and Taylor like this.
  10. Goomba

Or Shellshock could go the fun and safe route that every other game nowadays is going.... once it gets enough unlockables.
    Have the Loot Crates that people have suggested, they could be bought with gears or with real money.

From Loot Crates, people could get the tank parts, bonus items, collectibles, weapon skins.
    It makes you feel like you're unlocking more this way, while these small aesthetics would be super simple to implement into the game.

It gets even more fun when you have tiers of rarity, and you can get duplicates that you could trade with people.
    Oooh, you have the EE Skin for Shot? I'll trade you my "Acid" Flame Skin, it's rare!

astrofluxy and xXTacocubesXx like this.
  11. Holy2334

Holy2334 Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

You know it's already bad enough Kchamp gets called out on how "Greedy" he is from time to time. Any kind of DLC (Especially Day 1 DLC) would just be shooting yourself in the foot, especially when Kchamp said "No Microtransactions" as a selling point. Just look at the how happy people were when H1Z1 first came out.

Goomba and xXTacocubesXx like this.
  12. RumMumMario

PAYDAY 2's community hate is still increasing since November.

13. astrofluxy

Or a DLC that gives you special skins, this is a good idea too. always wanted to be unique in other games. and add more useful weapons in the lower tiers... and not weapons like guppies which more likely never hit... The Acid flame is definitely worth thinking about :D thought like deceiver could throw a mega nuke but only explodes like regular. Or Firestorm can drop snowballs instead of flame balls :D

Anyways... I have the game anyways so if any changes come i can always play it... but a Skin DLC or skin trading would be nice too... i want a black tank :D

14. MeowrPower

MeowrPower Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

How do you not hit with guppies? o_O

No to weapon DLC, ssl2 got so much stick for being p2w if kyle was to do it to this game then he may as well just quit now .-.

GooodHerb, Taylor and Holy2334 like this.
  15. Taylor

Taylor Brigadier General (21) Former Moderator

Guppies does quite a bit. Shoot most of its tiers do if you know how to shoot it. XD

16. referee11

referee11 First Lieutenant (16) Member

DLC!? Doesn't that make it more like pay-to-win before? More content which can't be unlocked by every user who just gets the game is pretty much that. Also, what DLC is reasonable? There pretty much is no soundtrack. 11 tracks or so totaling under 10 minutes (probably 8 or 9 minutes max) is unrealistic. He hasn't even finished adding weapons into the real game. Heck, we aren't even out of the dreaded early access stage yet. We're not even sure if he's ever actually going to release it with CropDuster Supreme in the way and somewhat less devotion to updates. Skins and other accessories like that should be added into the real game, not added as DLC. Other games have DLC which I disagree with (like Rocket League and FNAF), but those are actually high quality games (not so much for every FNAF game imo, but whatever). This game is not up to that standard. I mean, the damage system isn't perfect, and will probably be rebunked in the future. There are still bugs coming in, and it's been almost a year at this point. The new menu is complete trash, as more than half of my tiny monitor is just empty space. I can hardly read any chat messages or anything without my glasses at this point, and my eyesight hasn't retrogressed. Besides, DLC adds MORE price to the game. It's still absurdly high for what's there. Why would you make any DLC which would push this game over $8?

Also, doesn't it just show we're giving up on him, but we're finding new hope in a new way which isn't beneficial at all to us? This is stuff which should be part of his updates, which do not assist the game much. We have given up on these updates, as we pretty much should at this point, but we are doing the wrong thing. We're begging for DLC to help this game out, which a) makes this even more like a money pit and b) just poops on everything kChamp said in the past. It's getting closer to the time to bail on this game. Rather than pay for cool DLC which should be in normal gameplay, let's do a more rational option: leave. If this game isn't giving you what you want, go back to SSL2 or find a better game to meet your needs. If this game is the Titanic, it has already hit the iceburg and has 80% of itself under water. Due to the situation, this game is unfixable, and will remain unfixable kChamp starts listening to the community and actually makes a decent attempt to fix the gameplay issues. Seriously, it's almost better to find a new game.

xXTacocubesXx and Taylor like this.