1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please register or sign in to get full access to the forum.

Blunderbuss

Discussion in 'General Game Talk' started by Csumbi, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Csumbi

Csumbi Corporal (5) Member

I just discovered that Blunderbuss can blast through bumpers. Is this new? And can Blunderbuss make damage through shield?

2. CZXV

CZXV Unconfirmed Member

Blunderbuss can go through anything, except hitting targets. It'll also go through a shield, but no damage.

3. Csumbi

Oh ok, thanks the answer :D

4. banna

banna ★The Sheriff★ Moderator

Um, i'm pretty sure that i saw Blunderbuss bouncing of bumper before.

5. CZXV

CZXV Unconfirmed Member

My mistake...
    upload_2014-6-7_5-49-18.png

6. Csumbi

Well, I tried it, and it go through it.

So it bounce of the shield

7. banna

Maybe depends on how close u are to the bumper, idk....
    The one that his Bluder bounced of the bumper was *******, but i will not bother to tag him, he prolly won't remember anything, lol.

8. Ken

Ken Sergeant (7) Member

Id like to know if there is a trick to maximizing damage? Ive tried low power / high power ... Ive tried firing from point blank range to try to get more of the "shots" to hit...and at best I usually only hit 2 or three times... for not very much damage...

jgalloway64 likes this.
  9. banna

Well i did up to 170+ with it in 3 v 3 game once without 2x, it's up to the enemy tanks line up, however u can deal easily 120 damage with it on flat ground, using angle "0" or "180" within close range to the enemy tanks.

10. Taylor

Taylor Brigadier General (21) Former Moderator

Once in a while at full blast into small hill between us I can get 70 or rare 125.

jgalloway64 likes this.
  11. F1r3tar

F1r3tar Corporal (5) Member

Seems like a bug, since no weapon should penetrate through a shield or bumper.

12. Erile

Erile First Sergeant (11) Member

There are actually more weapons than that that go through bumpers (like the anvil that falls from the sky). It is just part of the variability in the game. That is basically the point of blunderbuss.

F1r3tar likes this.
  13. Nymby

Nymby Private E-1 (2) Member

Blunderbuss can do decent damage against someone on a steep slope, if you're lucky. Try to aim where the top bullet will be just under the tank, it works like a chain reaction. Of course the weapon is random.

AutoScreenRecorder_06_Jun.gif

Also, on flat ground like Banna said. You can do 100,180; or 100,0; you can line their tank up to be about halfway in your power bar.

Blunderbuss_flat.gif

KingKyd likes this.
  14. darklegion741

darklegion741 Sergeant Major of the Army (14) Member

Actually, Anvil will bounce off a bumper. The actual Anvil is very small (as you may have noticed it always fails unless it's a direct hit) so it may appear to pass through the bumper. If the very centre of the Anvil touches the bumper, you can wave goodbye to your shot.

@Ken Blunderbuss will travel straight, regardless of the power used.

xXxTnTxXx likes this.
  15. Erile

From my experience, the damage Anvil causes actually hurts anything that it lands on within 90% of the horizontal surface of the anvil. So the actual anvil is not very small. The reason it often fails to do damage is because the damage is limited to a very small vertical range around where the shot ended up. So the explosion is like a very wide but very short rectangle or oval.

I actually have had the large anvil from the sky go 100% through a bumper before.

16. KingKyd

KingKyd Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

I am guessing some of you are having trouble understanding how Blunderbuss' physics work. I'll explain it for you in excruciatingly unnecessary detail.

Blunderbuss won't go through shields, it will bounce off of shields. It also will hit bumpers. What some of you may have seen is the weapon being fired closely to a bumper. When this happens, sometimes weapons will go through it. I've done it with Blunderbuss, TurretMob, LightStrike, even BFG-9000 will do it. Laser does it half the time, regardless of where the bumper is placed. It's a bug where the game just doesn't have enough time to understand that the weapon(s) should bounce off of the bumper and thus go straight through, having just fired it and/or the weapon moves quickly. You'll notice the same thing occasionally occurs with the rebound walls where there is a miniscule amount of terrain on the end, and the weapon ends up hitting the underground rebound wall instead of the terrain and fires backward.

As for hitting Blunderbuss correctly, there is no real "correct" way to do it, considering just how many ways you could really use this weapon. Since it is range-effected, if your acquired target is further away you will deal much more damage. The downside is, the weapon will spread apart more, causing less pellets to hit the tank. What seems to be most effective is firing it in a moderately downward-facing direction, like 340°, or 200° alternated respectively, with your opponent being just slightly above the direct line of fire within the aiming circle. Doing this will cause Blunderbuss to hit most, if not all of its pellets, dealing (at level 5) between 10 to 12 damage a piece. Nine pellets at 12 damage equals 108 total damage.

The way this works is the first pellet explodes on the enemy tank, slightly lowering it. This allows the next pellet to do it, then the third, fourth, and so on. This chain reaction, as Nymby put it, causes a lot of damage in a very quick amount of time; so if you're playing in an all-shot or team-shot game where everyone on your team is aiming for that person, you'll be able to get your shot in much quicker and turn the tide of the match in your favor, without having to worry about your teammates' weapons ruining your shot. Plus, you just put the person in a bit of a rut. In this respect, Blunderbuss is a highly useful weapon.

Hope that clears some stuff up for everyone.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  17. TankFrank

TankFrank Command Sergeant Major (13) Former Moderator

:eek::eek::eek:

---------------

P.S. Thank you so much for your explanation! It may seem weird but I was still abit unaware of how blunderbuss works. :oops:

jpcas, KingKyd and jgalloway64 like this.
  18. darklegion741

I have had it bounce off the bumper before, due to the misunderstanding that it goes through bumpers. If you have ever played SSL1 then you would notice Chunker seems to go through land. The actual shot is smaller than it seems.

I was talking about Anvil being a small radius weapon. Perhaps I was exaggerating a little. What I really was trying to point out, Anvil should affect 100% of the land it flattens. Though we have all learned from experience that it not. It needs to be fixed.

KingKyd likes this.
  19. KingKyd

If anyone's confused about why the Anvil won't bounce off of bumpers, I'll explain that too since that's also a topic here.

In Flash coding, you can code physical objects (an object that collides with other objects) as well as attach a sprite to it (the texture that appears to be the object). This is basic game design, as we all know. However, often, some developers will forget to change the size of the physical object (or do it intentionally based on what they're attempting to achieve) and attach a sprite to the physical object that's much larger, thus creating an object that's much smaller than it actually appears to be.

When you do this, you will notice that the object won't collide with other objects unless the moving object's center touches the inanimate object. This is why Anvil appears to go through bumpers sometimes.

This is also the case for the large grenade in Grenade Storm, MoonBall, Chunker, and other weapons. As for kChamp's design of these weapons, I think he's too lazy to care and just doesn't change the physical object's size. I mean, have you noticed how hilariously glitched the "big'n" in Grenade Storm looks as it lands?

[​IMG]

jpcas, jgalloway64 and darklegion741 like this.
  20. ApprenticeOfGames

ApprenticeOfGames Staff Sergeant (8) Member

Anvil also can't get boxes which is the same as a couple of weapon namely lightning.

21. KingKyd

Anvil can get boxes, it's just that, as I explained on the previous page, the physical object for it is so small that it will rarely hit and grab the box.

You are right about Lightning though (at least the lightning itself), for the strike is not a physical object. It is a sprite that creates a blast radius at the bottom, so it cannot grab boxes.

jpcas, jgalloway64 and darklegion741 like this.
  22. darklegion741

The same goes for Satellite and every other weapon. The actual shot must touch the box before retrieving any items from the crate.

jpcas and jgalloway64 like this.
  23. Erile

Actually, I was not kidding when I said 100% through a bumper, but I am only talking about SSL2. I am not talking about the shot, but I am talking about the dropped anvil, which I have had pass 100% through a bumper, including the middle. This has made me suspect that anvil works similar to lightning and satellite.

jgalloway64 likes this.
  24. Erile

An update, I figured out a test to see if anvil has a particle at the center or not. I went into the firing range and put the wind to maximum and fired an anvil in one spot. The falling anvil does drift with the wind, so it must have a particle in it somewhere.

jgalloway64 likes this.
  25. Tavi

Tavi First Sergeant (11) Member

Not sure how it went from Blunderbuss to Anvil, both can bounce off spawned bumpers and Anvil can get boxes. Anvil's actual hit area when falling is so much smaller than it looks, and landing it's only the middle 50-ish% that will actually do damage.

jgalloway64 likes this.