1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please register or sign in to get full access to the forum.

Drag and Drop Custom Lobby

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Qpozcvuu, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Qpozcvuu

Qpozcvuu Unconfirmed Member

New visuals, old lobby. Drag and drop customization. What's not to love?

[​IMG]

For example:

[​IMG]

Also, as @xXTacocubesXx mentioned, there could be purchasable lobby backdrops from the gear shop.

[​IMG]

There... could even be an upload your own image op... option...
    I mean, you're the only one that's going to be seeing YOUR lobby, so who cares. *hiss*

[​IMG]

The visual aid is created on a canvas much smaller than what your game's resolution would be. This means you would have plenty of space to put things.
    Here is what it would look like on a small resolution. Lot's of space:

[​IMG]

Also, thanks @Goomba and @SubZero

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2016
    Hells Fury, Credipede, kChamp and 7 others like this.
  2. referee11

referee11 First Lieutenant (16) Member

My only issue with this is we'd have to undo all of kChamp's work to do this. I mean, it may not be well-liked, but it is one of the bigger updates we've had. I like the idea, but it really does appear kChamp is set on the Rocket League ripoff design. :/

SubZero and Taylor like this.
  3. xXTacocubesXx

xXTacocubesXx Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

Do you think kChamp could more or less use the new lobby design as a foundation for Aevoa's drag and drop idea?

Also thanks @Aevoa for the mention. Those backdrops look cool

Taylor likes this.
  4. Mr Synikal

Mr Synikal Sergeant Major (12) Member

Interesting concept, Aevoa. I favor customization knowing we're not stuck with any visual formats we would not appreciate. Each user could frame it to their liking. I still like the old lobby the way it was but perhaps if it was simplified, maybe it would have survived being used with any future applications if it was reconfigured correctly. The backdrops are a great idea. I wish we could do that for game backgrounds too. Nice work as always.

Nightwing, SubZero and Taylor like this.
  5. Taylor

Taylor Brigadier General (21) Former Moderator

I grew accustomed to the layout we had from startup till the current one we have now.

While the new one Kyle is planning should look pretty cool with a live scene playing out in front of us and the possibility of being able to buy various live scenes via the gear shop, I realized something viewing this thread.

I think if we use Tap's idea combined with Taco's (which could include purchasing live scenes in the gear shop as well) we could have a lobby which is unqiue to SSL and provide something to attract people to the game.
    I can't see how introducing these ideas would disappoint a consumer but provide more customization.

I would hope it wouldn't be abused though to bring negative light to the game through screenshots which could happen if someone was allowed to put anything as thier backdrop.
    Perhaps just have it purchasable ones but with various ones to choose from.(Possible with consistent additions to the shop on a routine basis.)

6. SubZero

SubZero Sergeant First Class (9) Member

Very nice Aevoa, If you put a close out option you could actualy have even more thing's to drag and drop.
    Great idea and artwork.

7. RumMumMario

RumMumMario Lieutenant General (23) Member

The color and style seems a little non-SSL like, but overall a nice idea that can be useful.

8. SubZero

Wow, seeing as how you're not a developer You did an epic job on artwork, i don' think anyone should or can complian tbh.

9. Holy2334

Holy2334 Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

I'll be that guy :p It's good, but I have 3 concerns....
    1. Seeing how the current layout is done to make transitioning to console a bit easier, how would this work on a console? Note: Although having the menu screens different is an option, things are a bit more easier if they are all under the same format.
    2. How would the other boxes move if you attempt to move one into the other's space? Like, would the second box you aren't moving adjust to make room for where you want to put the box you have?
    3. Because (2.) If I grabbed one of the boxes and just go ham on moving my mouse all over the place holding down the box, would the game get too confused and crash or have a lag spike?
    With that being said Design is fun :D Programming is not :(

10. referee11

referee11 First Lieutenant (16) Member

There should be an invisible grid in which you place the items. It would assist with lining things up, which would be tougher to do without a grid. The lines on the grid don't have to be huge; they could be small for maximum ability to customize. Windows does the same thing with icons unless you disable that feature. I just think people would want to line up everything, and having a grid makes it easier that not.

Taylor likes this.
  11. kChamp

kChamp Developer Developer

Your mock-ups look good Aevoa, clean design. One of the benefits of the current new lobby is that it's easily navigated by controller. This allows the game to be released on console as well to increase the audience. I want to avoid making a UI which is mouse/keyboard exclusive. I'll be releasing more tweaks to the lobby in the next few days which should help.

Holy2334, Credipede, Taylor and 2 others like this.
  12. SubZero

It's currently not easyer to navigate with a controller, i can see how it kinda looks like a menu on multiplayer games for consoles but atm a ps4 controller, idk about steam or xbox controllers, is pretty much unplayable atm. a very annoying but rather small problem is that square is the select key and not x. I'm sure you know about this but if not tell me and i'll go into the multiple problems with the controller or just add an option to change buttons to do whatever people are acustom to.

13. Holy2334

Holy2334 Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

There is an option to change the controller controls through steam. If SSL is the only game you play using the controller for I recommend that you change it through there.

14. SubZero

I use a controller for alota games on steam. You cannot change the controls for ssls through steam i've tried. Thanks for trying to help tho. Steam controller maybe, but ps4 no.