1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please register or sign in to get full access to the forum.

Future of the Game

Discussion in 'General Game Talk' started by Towel, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Dryykon

Dryykon Second Lieutenant (15) Member

Looking at my Wishlist (for a quick comparison of games) Final Fantasy VIII is $16, Counter Strike: Global Offensive is $15. Games with similar quality to Sid Meier's Civilization V are $30+.

With that in mind, people buy things on Steam when they go on Sale. I have bought (or a friend has bought me) all of my games when they were less than $10. I am holding off on every purchase (well... because I have to at this time... but also because I want to) because I know there will come a day when I can buy the same thing for less.

To build a player base, players are needed. More people will buy the game if it is at a cheaper price. Plain and simple.

Ex: Warband populations spike (until we kill them and they rage quit multiplayer for the singleplayer... which is a problem in of itself) after each and every Steam sale, typically depending on how low the cost is.

Therefore... in the beginning... while trying to build server populations... sales are str0nK.

2. EskimoEd

EskimoEd Corporal (5) Member

*sees the $1 popcorn*

GET YOUR $15 DOLLAR POPCORN HERE! IT IS THE SAME AS THE $1 *COUGH FREE COUGH* POPCORN, BUT THESE ARE 3D AND MORE FUN TO LOOK AT!!

Who wants some!?

3. RumMumMario

RumMumMario Lieutenant General (23) Member

If people like you continue doing this then kChamp will shut down SSL2 for real.

It's the cost of two weapon packs including tons of missions, enhanced tank upgrades, organized weaponry, full-screen available, etc. While you'd have to pay at least $100 to get only all weapons in SSL2.

4. emilio1973

emilio1973 First Sergeant (11) Member

He can shut it down I will surtnly not cry for thet, cos ther out are other tank games for free like world of tanks!!

5. Watermelob

Watermelob Private E-2 (3) Member

That gave me an idea, why not make a demo version? It would be same as the guest accounts in the original SSL, but also no missions and less weapons.

Credipede and Batgirl like this.
  6. Credipede

Credipede Forum Administrator Administrator

ShellShock Live 1 and 2 can't be downloaded, but both have tons of plays on different websites. According to Kyle, combined they have more than 40 million plays.

Batgirl likes this.
  7. Towel

Towel look mom i have a custom title Former Moderator

Does that account for the 20 million plays from the people of this forum?

8. Credipede

Credipede Forum Administrator Administrator

The $14.99 popcorn has better quality in the current state. New improvements and features, as example caramel taste, will be added as the time goes. I think it's worth it.

Watermelob likes this.
  9. Watermelob

Caramel popcorn ftw

10. Towel

Peaked at 64 players at once. They grow up so fast :')

11. RumMumMario

I just bought the game and I had my jaws dropped when I played it on full screen.

Seriously, it's 101% worth it.

referee11 likes this.
  12. referee11

referee11 First Lieutenant (16) Member

And that's coming from a guy who is relatively hard to surprise. ^^

Batgirl likes this.
  13. RumMumMario

For real though, I wish I could become a Santa Claus and drop off $15 to everybody's house.

Batgirl and referee11 like this.
  14. referee11

...Unfortunately, that Santa appears to be Agent. Even though she is doing it from the willingness of her heart, that is still a lot of money. $_$

Batgirl likes this.
  15. Watermelob

Same proble, here, I love everything about the game, even the "connecting" screen.

JohannZim likes this.
  16. Evil King

Evil King Corporal (5) Member

Game's good in short and the $15 is worth the money for me but for those who didn't tried out shellshocklive 1 or 2, it would be hard to throw money on this game.
    As for multiplayer ,people just aren't there.Maybe its just because its new game but in the future there may be a chance that there're less players in multiplayer because the more expensive the game is,the less people buy it.
    Myself,during gameplay tends to play singleplayer rather than to play multiplayer as I get more faster xp than multiplayer and the AIs are shooting much more faster than the real time players.
    So the future of SSL can be decided upon its value,gameplay,developer and community.

*IF THE REVIEW OF THIS GAME IS BELOW 70% POSITIVE,THERE'S MUCH MORE CHANCE THAT THIS GAME'S DOOMED.

* Of Steam & in Steam
    + (btw where's new release sale kinda thing?I was hoping it would at least get 10% discount - -;;)

17. RumMumMario

The game lobby hasn't had more rooms than a page since about a week ago. Vaguely means that not many people have purchased it since a week ago. On such massive platform like Steam this isn't a lot at all.

SSL may not do too well, actually, as Towel said... Maybe it's too fast to make a judgment about it... I don't know, just what I think about the game's current state.

18. referee11

Honestly, I couldn't be happier of what I've been seeing. However, the lack of users in multiplayer will be a major issue in the future. After you complete a mission, you can't gain any xp from it again. Multiplayer is your only option. However, people keep making 3v3s or 4v4s. Although the are the longest, coolest games, you CAN'T make them if others are going to have a hard time getting in, or getting xp from other resources.
    I've made games 10 times. Once, Johann joined, Watermelob joined, and some other player joined. The other 7 times? I waited 20+ minutes, and not a single person joined the whole time.
    I think we should put a movement together to stop the larger games from preventing the gainage of xp from outsiders, like me, who only ever see them full.

19. EskimoEd

Think about this for a moment. The game with the highest prize pool in the history of gaming is Free to play. Meaning, professional gamers do not even pay to play. WHen Dota2 was still in beta it cost less than this game.

I understand that Kyle needs to make money etc, but as someone else posted - 60million plays vs the one pager rooms at the moment, something must certainly be wrong.
    What attracted people to SSL1 was because it was free and fun to play.
    SSL2 more people started focusing on buying packs and getting prestige weapons. Packs gave an edge to the buyer which the f2p player did not have. They had to get better at the game and get prestige weapons. a balance was found, but still slightly slanted to the buyers side.

and I agree with Sheriressu that
    But there are other brands of caramel popcorn as well which only costs , say, $4.99.

tl;dr: game is too expensive for a tank shooter.
    Just my 2cents.

20. Staple

Staple General of the Army (25) Member

this is a very satisfying and true tl;dr

RumMumMario likes this.
  21. RumMumMario

This is extremely bogus.

SSL2 has been focusing in weapon packs? So did SSL1. Only about a slight difference exists in between SSL2 and 1 regarding the P2W system.
    Also, prestige weapons are free. Besides, SSL2 is fun to play for a lot of people, too. In my opinion SSL2 MAY be better than SSL1 as there are much more free weapons - several weapons can compete with WP - unlike SSL1, which only gives you 25 level-up weapons and starter weapons.

Your post sounds like you made a vague comparison of the two without actually playing it.
    SSL2 is free, too. lol.
    They may taste the same, but the $14.99 caramel popcorn uses 100% natural ingredients and made by a trustworthy company. But at this stage of development it should cost somewhere around 10 bucks or a little less, to sell SSL's name.
    If you haven't even read or checked anything then why are you trying to contribute to the thread with such ignorant information?

22. Towel

Most of this I've probably already said, but I'm going to say it anyways.

If SSL Steam is released at a price of $15, it will fail. It's just a basic tank shooter with some polish and mutliplayer. You can get games that offer more for cheaper/the same price. The only people who are going to buy the game at $15 are crazy people like us. You could argue that it is indeed worth the $15, but most Steam consumers aren't that willing to put down $15 for a tank shooter. You can tell that pretty easily just from the lack of people playing.

This could be a good thing though. If only the people who really like the game, only the people willing to fork over such a ridiculous amount of money for this kind of game, Kyle has in his hands essentially the best team of game testers for the development period. You don't want too many "outsiders" to be playing the game in an unfinished state like this.

The best move would probably be to keep the price at $15 for the entire duration of Early Access, and to lower the price to something more reasonable for the full release for all of the new players to come try out the game.

Pricing the game at $15 at release would really just be Kyle shooting himself in the foot. Nobody would play the game, he wouldn't make much a profit, and the entire game would be a failure. If Kyle wants to sell more copies and make more money, the only logical move would be to lower the price.

emilio1973 and Staple like this.
  23. referee11

Welp, I'm gonna go out on a limb which is only sprouting.
    Lemme highlight some of the concerns stated in the last couple of posts.

Not 100% true. When it is officially released, it might be advertised more than it is now. Also, it will be complete. Currently, it's in a shamble-like state. We are gluing the pieces together now. Maybe we would get more if it was $10, but we would still get 3-4 pages of games. Honestly, that is enough. I would change "will" to "might". Of all of the ones I am highlighting, I am agreeing with that the most. The edit is crucial, though.

Fool me twice. Steam is literally games up for the buy. If that is true, why does Steam exist? Are people like Markiplier not "professional" gamers? Serious? That's a laughable proposition. Obviously, this is not true. Also, you have just insulted every Wii, xBox, Nintendo, or other platform user. Careful with what you say; you got it clean with me because I don't even use any of that. I'd push that farther if I didn't feel so indifferent. Now that I've brought it up, someone else will.

Again, laughable comparison. When that game came out, it had already been long advertised on many other platforms. It was popular from even before the start. Were you expecting that SSLS was going to break that? In BETA? REALLY!? SSL2 only has a total of about 500 devoted users, many of which aren't transferring for numerous reasons, and many played one day and quit. Don't compare this game to the success of others: When put on a scatter plot, it is like measuring ring size an the average score on a test. There is no relation.

However, THAT popcorn is three years expired, and it is from a non-trustable source. Compared to all of the popcorn out there, this is so rare in quality you might as well give the money over. If you don't like it, go make your own.

For 2), 3), and 4), I think further questions have been answered by @RumzMumzMario 's last two posts.
    Also, I haven't found any game on Steam even remotely like the quality of this one. There are a few tanks games, but this one beats it. Its rarity is worth the price. Would you pay $100 for a normal rock, or $100 for one fossil of a Velociraptor? This is that Velociraptor fossil.
    Honestly, meet the demands, or roll over. If it stays $15, it stays $15. If you don't think it is worth it, go and buy another game.
    I might be back, depending if things get more ridiculous.
    Hey, because of that argument which will ensue with Rumz and Eskimo, who'd like some of that fantastic $14.99 popcorn?

24. EskimoEd

Did you even read my post? Really? Or can you not fully comprehend what was said?
    Never said prestige weapons is p2w, never said it is a bad thing.
    And sure, I also think SSL2 *might* be better than SSL1 (if the * makes you nervous, perhaps you should not respond to it)

Ignorant information? pssh - Because I have a different view on this matter than you do it makes me ignorant? Sir, get off of your pedestal.
    I have been playing SSL1 since way back when and joined SSL2 when it came out. Never stopped playing the game.
    But I am not willing to pay $15 for a tank game where , at the moment, you can get Bioshock Infinite triple pack for $10.19.

Sorry, I had to add. The professional DOTA2 players did not pay to get the game and now it is one of the biggest games being played, with the biggest prize pool of all e-sports. Sorry that I was not clear enough before.
    And I never proposed that people like Markiplier is not professional. Go read my post again.

? and?

No, I was not expecting SSL steam to break that at all. Honest. Not for $15 that is and certainly not because it is still new etc etc, BUT, I did expect it to be more successful that it currently is.

And this is certain no argument, sir. Merely stating your opinion on a matter and having others instantly bash it, you will still need the formar party to 'lose their cool'. Unfortunately for the viewer/s who would have liked to see such an argument, there will be none, as yet again, this forum is set on their beliefs and no one could tell them otherwise.

I bid you farewell and a rather fantastic time together.
    Good bye.

25. Staple

Staple General of the Army (25) Member

are you just like, blindly rooting for ssl steam

because at this point its like giving medicine to the dead

edit: okay #1, there are lots of high quality games for that price, as ive mentioned, for 15 dollars and cheaper. say youre just a random consumer. you got money. youre browsing the steam store. borderlands 2 is on sale. now, would you rather spend 15 dollars on what seems like a superficial tank game with not that many players, or would you feel safer spending that money on an extremely reputable game such as borderlands 2, for 7.49 since its on sale, or even csgo, for the same price

#2, before you start being a poopy, realize what he does say, is indeed true
    http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

single most played game on steam is dota 2
    dota 2 has the largest prize pool in history regarding competitive e-sports, 6 million dollars
    it is free to play and does not have any p2w aspect

#3 compared to other games, its pretty unheard of. of all the people on my list whos heard of the game, ~100 people, only like 10 have it, and theyre all from this forums. as for the people who randomly stumble upon it, refer to point #1

#4 refer to #1
    edit: #4, shellshock, more or less, doesnt stand out. its just another multiplayer tank game. there are other more reputable multiplayer tank games on steam for cheaper

another edit:
    no, 15 dollars for shellshock is too much, now if it was to change into a lower price after early release, im cool with that

-rant over-

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015