1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please register or sign in to get full access to the forum.

in game mods

Discussion in 'General Game Talk' started by aZtec Chief, May 28, 2014.

1. aZtec Chief

aZtec Chief Sergeant Major (12) Member

I have brought a proposition to the table about not having mods in game in a last thread. While this was a great deal for some i still stand by my dicision

As i did not want to get off topic with "Towl's thread of Evaluation" this topic will explain my reasons i think there shouldnt be in game mods.

1)Rudeness. this behavior has been observed again and again nothing can be done about it. whatever walks of life the this person came from, we dont know. Some are just stright out, for no reason, ill manared. for this option, there is a mute button. I have mentiond here on the forums that i mute ppl right when they start talking, except for my team (coordinate attacks) everyone here can do just that but may choose not use the mute and for that you bare witness to the rudness of other players.

2)Fowl Langague. again mute. kchamp even added a chat filter that minimizes the swearing. The server takes care of that for you. Its really neat

3) Team Kill. there is not deffinate soulution to this. Even when muted they can still cause you to lose. Know who you play with, i got a personal enemy list which i find and open up every time i play shellshock

4) Inappropriate Names. This can easily be taken care of by the host of the game. If you only wish to join and not create your own game you have no right to complain about anything. i.e. wind, turns, players who enter...

5) Public Accounts. We all know, besides new comers, who to look out for. If its about noobs not knowing who or what the public accounts are that has you worried, whats it to you? Its not affecting your game in any way.

I just dont think SSL should slap ppl on the wrist trying to correct them. This movement or campaign against unwanted players for a flash game is kinda silly. Someone put an example of COD how ppl still get banned even if they pay, what will affect you more to be banned on COD or SSL? There is really no contest. One could care less about this flash game when there's a whole lot of better games out there. kChamp made this game for us to enjoy, he wants us to play, not be banned.

If for some reason you guys still feel the need for mods here is my suggestion how one should be picked

1. have the highest days in a row

2. high xp

3. liked by everyone in the forums

Speaking about forums, it should be someone who isnt mod yet. Mods in forums should step aside and let somone else have a chance to be mod as well.

DT_, darklegion741, Taylor and 2 others like this.
  2. banna

banna ★The Sheriff★ Moderator

I can't agree more.

Taylor likes this.
  3. spartan654

spartan654 Staff Sergeant (8) Member

I am spartan and i approve of this message.

4. Taylor

Taylor Brigadier General (21) Former Moderator

Lots of flash games have in game mods and if the right ones are chose it would be very beneficial.
    Although I really like idea of selecting non mods as in game ones, a cool possible idea would be to make some of the current forum mods game mods instead if they are active enough. This because we have so many and some would be better used as in game mods cause they are on game seems all the time.

Erile likes this.
  5. Erile

Erile First Sergeant (11) Member

There are tons of different ways to have in-game mods or staff. In-game mods can be public or secret. They can enforce/check for very specific things (like hacking or cheating), or they can look after everything including behavior. Enforcement can be in-game or out-of-game. You can also have in-game staff which simply provide evidence of things, but have no moderation powers at all. There are also things to consider like who manages them, which could be challenging for a game with one person mainly in charge.

Personally, the games with the most successful in-game mods I have seen have those mods as actual staff members who are completely secret. Its much harder to abuse your power when you are employed and you can't go around bragging about it.

Another important thing to consider is that in some places, aspects of the behavior broadly described above as "rudeness" can actually be illegal (such as hate speech or cyber-bullying). So with games like this, there can end up being pressure on the developer(s) by governments to deal with those issues to not be in violation of local laws. And if you don't believe me, just remember that Facebook implemented far more privacy controls in a rush some years back because Canada threatened to block all of Facebook from the entire country if they didn't comply. ;)

Taylor and Black Widow like this.
  6. darklegion741

darklegion741 Sergeant Major of the Army (14) Member

I believe that forum mods should also be in-game mods. The reason:
    1)They have more experience at dealing with any problems than any other forumers.
    2)They are all respected, valued and responsible forum members.
    3)So far, none of them have abused their powers yet. This may not be the case, should we employ non forum moderators.
    4)All of the forum moderators are active, punctual and true to their jobs.
    5)Forum moderators are very aware of the roles and resposibilities of being a moderator. They have never disappointed us and try their absolute best to make the forums a nicer place to be.

For those reasons, I believe current moderators should progress into in-game moderators.

7. RumMumMario

RumMumMario Lieutenant General (23) Member

We're not even sure if kChamp is going to make them or not. He only said he might work on it soon, and I'm pretty sure he'd make a new thread about it. If he hadn't, then it means a simple 'no'. We don't need threads about mods anymore.

8. chickadee

chickadee Sergeant Major (12) Member

I hope we could at least have a report a player button in the future.

us marine 212, Taylor, Erile and 2 others like this.
  9. ApprenticeOfGames

ApprenticeOfGames Staff Sergeant (8) Member

If we are gonna have ingame mods it would be a popularity contest just like the forums mod one.I am sorry for stating a fact but its true.You don't know how some players are gonna use the role of being an ingame mod.Popularity and activeness mean nothing.Is activeness gonna help a mod who has a different kind of judgement then what's needed no... There would also be bias mods as everyone has people they don;' like and this would affect their modding.Does having huge popularity mean that they would be a good mod no.

jgalloway64, Taylor and banna like this.
  10. Erile

Erile First Sergeant (11) Member

Which is why I pointed out how its easy to have people like that who aren't based on popularity ;)

11. THENEXTOBAMA aka yourmom

THENEXTOBAMA aka yourmom Corporal (5) Member

You cant just choose a mod because they are liked by people, or they have high xp, and most of all are online for a lot of days -_-... If kchamp were to pick a/an in game mod it must be someone he can trust to run his game... although it is true this game isn't the biggest or best game out there, there are many people that enjoy playing and not having people ruin their enjoyment from playing. If there really is a need for in-game mod(s) then kchamp will make them.
    -me

Erile, Taylor and jgalloway64 like this.
  12. KingKyd

KingKyd Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

If the idea of in-game moderators comes to life I would be quite happy. I understand that there are ways to deal with most of the things you stated above, but not every player will do that. It's best to just ensure the best gaming experience for every player to ultimately bring about more business and keep a good game community reputation. Having no moderation at all allows people to do and say as they wish, which while is pretty nice, will make many people hate others for little to no reason and causes issues. Plus, as we've seen recently, there's hackers that do as they please.

Having the moderators be anonymous, or at least given the ability to like with the Deluxe emblem on/off option, would be a great idea. I'm sure most top players would already know who's who no matter which way you cut it, so this would work for the lower level players who don't pay as much attention to the game. Mostly the worst players are the lower levels anyhow, as the bad apples get bored easily after they have "trolled" everyone they can and leave for another game to go find other people to harass. Though, there are a few bad apples that still make their way through processing in any walk of life, anyhow.

To deal with the few bad apples at the top who apparently believe they can do as they please, allow the in-game moderators to assign temporary modship that is anonymous only, and lasts let's say 12/24/48 hours. This way the bad behavior can be observed by an incognito mod and action can be taken against it if necessary. If the person given the temporary modship turns out to not be reliable and is just a friend of that permanent mod, then allow the behavior of the incognito mod to judge whether or not the permanent mod should keep their power.

If this occurs though, then like with the forum moderators, I want to throw my own name in the hat. Sick and tired of ridiculous players, hackers, and bad sportsmanship. Also sick and tired of only being able to write a forum post about it, which while gets people talking, rarely does anything get done about it because of kChamp's tight schedule.

Taylor and jgalloway64 like this.
  13. buyingtime

buyingtime Second Lieutenant (15) Former Moderator

Hmm... Well, I didn't think this conversation would continue, but I suppose I would like to defend my viewpoint again- since somebody wanted the previous posts in the other thread taken out.

I have discussed this matter further with a number or people and there have been many ideas about what an in-game mod should be like, or what they are capable of. Taking care of hackers and public accounts is almost agreed upon by most, but the subject of what people say or have as their game titles is of question. Here are some of the ideas that were mentioned.

1) An in-game mod most importantly would not have the goal of banning somebody. Banning should only be a necessary step if the person has been repeatedly warned and given a chance to improve their inappropriate behavior. While an in-game mod would not want to try and control people and make them fit a certain mold to play this game, there should be some sort of accountability for wrong actions. Every government and business has some sort of punishment system if people are out of line, and rightly so! They don't want people to get out of control and run rampant to cause issues. Like KingKyd said, the ability to do what we want is very nice, but should not allow people to do anything they so please. Therefore, a mod should be able to warn a player that clearly is wrong.

2) There should be a number of mods instead of just 1 or 2. This way, if there is a player that has been warned a few times and continues being disruptive, all the mods can overview the option to ban them and make sure it's not biased. Make it a voting system so that 3/4 or 4/5 mods agree on banning someone for a short period, and for longer periods only if they continue to be a bad influence on the community.

3) Lastly, there are many decisions as to who the mods should be. Mr Anonymous mentioned perhaps having only mods that don't play the game. This would be beneficial in many ways. I know many others that also agree that the forum mods are overloaded and perhaps could be transferred to in-game mods instead. And others want completely new people to be in-game mods. Either way about it, it shouldn't be based on popularity or having a clique of friends being like a dictatorship.

I think in-game mods would be a great benefit for SSL2. Especially since kChamp made a thread about Methods of Growth, this is one way to keep this game clean and keep players around. I also think that mods should be held accountable for every decision they make so they are not totalitarian.

14. chickadee

Talk about a game that needs in-game mods is the original SSL!
    If this game is anything like that one expect no mods...
    And that $%!t still going on..

Taylor likes this.
  15. ApprenticeOfGames

ApprenticeOfGames Staff Sergeant (8) Member

I agree with you 100%,although i don't think having people who don't even play the game be ingame mods is a good idea but that aside the main problem is kchamp's way of choosing peple to be ingame mods...

buyingtime likes this.
  16. darklegion741

Perhaps promoting a few forum moderators to in-game moderators may be the right choice. Since we have too many forum moderators at the moment, promoting half of them to in-game moderator will ensure that nobody is overloaded with work. The forum moderators uphold the forum rules, make sure nobody misbehaves. The in-game moderators ensure total compliance with the game rules, wielding the power to ban hackers and public accounts.

All moderators will be put to good use and with equal amounts of work to do.

Taylor and KingKyd like this.
  17. chickadee

Well thanks to sis, I did find the game rules so its possible for in game mods ._.

DOES NOT MEAN I SUPPORT IT D:

ShellShock Live 2 Terms of Service in plain English

Privacy:

- Your information (such as email, username, etc.) will never be shared with a third party without your permission.

Use:

By using ShellShock Live 2, you agree to the following. Any violations may result in limited access to your account, or an account ban.

- Players may not share accounts or passwords with other players.

- No downloading and decompiling the game to reach or modify source code.

- No tampering with network packets sent to/from the server.

- No racist or hateful remarks towards other players.

We reserve the right to suspend or ban any account any any time for any reason.

--

Other than that, enjoy ShellShock Live 2!

Last edited: May 28, 2014
    Erile and Taylor like this.
  18. Black Widow

Black Widow Forum Administrator Administrator

Just realized Kyle made a typo at the very bottom of that.

chickadee likes this.
  19. RumMumMario

RumMumMario Lieutenant General (23) Member

Then we're gonna have a whole bunch of noobs reporting people when they have so much weapon packs and be like "hakz"
    no.

20. darklegion741

My apologies Mario, you always seem very negative and pessimistic. Sorry, no offense taken right?

Maybe add reasons along with the Report function?
    -Swearing and abuse
    -Hacking
    -Inappropriate behaviour

It could still be abused but with some evidence, it could be verified by a moderator. Various measurements will be taken depending on the severity of the offender's action(s).

chickadee likes this.
  21. KingKyd

KingKyd Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

I think in order to not have so many issues with reporting, only allow the notices for mods to take place when multiple reports have been filed. Make something like a member identifier like here on the forum when sending a message, and use it to allow people to pick who is causing what, and after let's say 5 reports of that person have been filed, then mods are alerted about them. They can't all be from the same person, either.

Difficult to code, but a suggestion.

Erile and Taylor like this.
  22. aZtec Chief

as i expected you to. im glad you see that people are what they are, but about the whole consequence thing, what kind of utopia do you live in?there is scandal in government all the time. the recent one is not giving aid to our veterans. other games have ingame mods but kchamp is a smart young man, if he thought it would have been a good idea it would have been done from the get-go

this is the reason i suggested most days in a row. maybe, somehow, someone forgot to log in on day and their count went back to 0. on the side note i added those who are already mod shouldnt be mod again, most of the "popular kids" are already mod in forums

the hacking leader board thing, imo its not that bad. im not defending anyone here. i think there is a double standard, someone here did it, no one threw a fit, now a couple people more do it everyone wants to call them out on their bs. it wont do much good besides be 1st on leader board. prestige weapons only go up to 5. unless kchamp adds more weapons then maybe i can say they got to where they are by cheating.

in the last thread i saw you nominating ppl for in game mods already, then you dont want to talk about them? (im not looking for you to reply, im just saying)

Last edited: May 29, 2014
    banna and jgalloway64 like this.
  23. buyingtime

buyingtime Second Lieutenant (15) Former Moderator

Hmmm... I don't quite get the need for your off-color sarcasm in this post... but okay..

I get what you're saying about governments not being perfect, but there is a sense of accountability there. People don't act recklessly around a police officer because of fear they could be punished. Nobody in their right mind is going to speed around a cop on purpose because something could happen like a warning, ticket or jail time.

And yes, kChamp is a smart man. But he's also the man that thought bumpers and x2 were a good addition. That we should wait 29 weeks for only 6 prestige weps. That we should have a crappy chat that flips every other sentence. So yes, he's a smart guy. Just lacks almost all intuition to put for effort for the important things until enough people complain or mention things.

So, I'm sorry but I respectfully disagree. The most popular games add mods for a reason, and although SSL2 may not be that popular, in-game mods have not hurt the most popular games.

jgalloway64 and Taylor like this.
  24. aZtec Chief

no sarcasm intended, and im sorry if i come off a bit raw.
    of course no one is gonna commit a crime in front of an officer, but that doesnt mean there arnt crooked cops out there. i suggest that if they were to add in game mods, they should not be incognito so we can see and know when a mod is observing
    the x2 and bumpers can get in the way at times. those were added so this game can be more challenging for those who get bored of the repetitiveness.

jgalloway64 likes this.
  25. THENEXTOBAMA aka yourmom

THENEXTOBAMA aka yourmom Corporal (5) Member

cops are not seen by lawbreakers for a reason....people will not act when they know someone is watching