1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please register or sign in to get full access to the forum.

Introduction to ShellShock Live - Steam Version

Discussion in 'General Game Talk' started by RumMumMario, Mar 20, 2015.

1. RumMumMario

RumMumMario Lieutenant General (23) Member

Hello ShellShockers!

As most of you already know, the newest ShellShock Live sequel has finally been - beta-ly - released! Woo-hoo! It definitely is an exciting release for all of us. However I still see people who hesitate in buying so!

In this thread, I'm doing a thorough introduction to the ShellShock Live Steam version, and how it differs from the past ShellShock Live series. I'm pretty sure some of you haven't had a good chance to get to know the game
    better so hopefully this thread will help you get a closer attention to the Steam version.

CURRENT VERSION - SSL STEAM BETA v0.7.6 -
    -------------------------------------------------------
    - LOBBY -

[​IMG]

That is the lobby and how it looks so far. In ShellShock Live 1 and 2, you'd get the main screen at first to choose where to go. However in the steam version everything is pretty much filled up in a single lobby. Look how neat it looks!

You may have noticed something, yes, the friends list system. In the Steam version you don't have to create an account. All you need is the Steam account, and your Steam friends will be used as an in-game friend list as well. This is extremely beneficial in many ways compared to the good old SSL2, since Steam allows you to add up to approximately 200 friends you'd no longer have to worry about removing your best in-game buddies, unless you want to add everyone. Another benefit to this is that you get to change your username as many times you want, however you want via Steam settings.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - IN-GAME -

[​IMG]

Can you tell the difference between SSL2 and this? Indeed, the graphics have an incredible advancement and basic appearance have a major change. The bumper is now new and have came back with a new shape to troll us players; circle! These bumpers appear very often in-game, compared to SSL2. Those blackhole-ish thingies are called portals. It's pretty self-explanatory, indeed, when the weapon touches the portal the weapon teleports to the other one. Also, x2 damage buff still exist and appear quite often as well. Hitting tanks with a contact to any of the obstacle awards you a one XP bonus.

The game settings are basically the same thing. Except; no more points mode, no XP bonuses for indiv. shot or wind, max HP is now 600, and a few other little things.

As for the items, there are two new ones; teleporter and EMP blast. Teleporter warps you to any location of the map randomly, and EMP Blast basically screws up your aim apparently (I haven't had a chance to use it). In the Steam version the items level-up as you use them, just like how weapons did in SSL2.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - MISSIONS -

[​IMG]

In the Steam version, we have a 'singleplayer' mode. Missions are quite obvious and probably isn't something that requires a thorough explanation about, but anyways. There are 8 sets of missions and each mission has its unique characteristics. Mainly divided into two types; AI battle and targets. AI battle is where you have to fight against bots - in some missions they stay idle - and target missions are to hit all the targets with the specified weapons you're given. Here's a quick take-a-look at one of the target missions;

http://i.imgur.com/J9jLR2l.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - TANK UPGRADES -

[​IMG]

A skill tree! This looks veeeeeeery familiar but let's forget about what we have in our minds. The idea is basically the same, you get a tank token and you upgrade your tank. Also I've seen some people that have said; +2 and +3 requires more than one tokens. This is false, it gives you additional upgrades for one token. You can also notice that kChamp has replaces the fuel upgrade to a gun upgrade, which increases the chances of your critical strike chance. Well you can still upgrade your fuel from those icons in the traction section, but anyways.

Now you may have noticed the icons that look like RPG
    or maybe its just me. Those function pretty much identical to the perks that we have in SSL2. That short description you see on the left side is an example of one in the luck section.

p.s. So far what I've noticed or assumed is that it is not possible to fully upgrade your tank, as all tanks would be the same at the end which isn't pretty fun. However I may be wrong, nobody has reached Lv80 yet so don't beat me up if I've mistaken right there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    - WEAPONS -

[​IMG]

Now this one is probably what most of you are excited about, am I right? The weapons now have a very unique, organized upgrading-system as well as some other new weapons. Let's take a look at Breaker. In order for me to unlock the next tier, which is the double breaker, I need to collect 1200XP = deal total amount of 1200 damage with any of its previous tiers. So if I want to unlock the BreakerChain, I don't necessarily have to use Super Breaker to increase the XP. I can use Double Breaker and Breaker too. Yes, you are able to switch weapons every now and then, you won't lose the lower tier weapons! Unlike SSL2, the weapon damages don't increase regardless on how many XP you collect with it.

At a quick glance, you don't notice many new weapons in there, do ya? Don't worry, there are at least 25 new weapons implemented. And most importantly, all of these weapons are free. :)

----------------------------------------------------------

How was it? Was I able to describe the difference between the SSL2 and the Steam version?

Now, the main difference between the SSL2 and the Steam version's is that this one does not require you to pay any single cent after purchasing it for $15. In SSL2, you'd have to pay at least $300 to unlock everything and completely conquer it. But in the Steam version, with even MORE aspects, only costs identical to two or three weapon packs in SSL2. If you compare it this way, it is truly incredibly cheap...

Yeah, a HUGE difference! Now get your butt off to Steam and buy it here!

--> http://store.steampowered.com/app/326460/ <--

dis took me liek 2 hours fml

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    Piroutcha, Awesume, Staple and 2 others like this.
  2. cacadun

cacadun Unconfirmed Member

Neat review!, just one quick question.
    Have you bought the Game, or somebody else bought it for you (or gifted it).
    Because if you didn't buy it, you cant really say if its worth 15$ since you didn't give the money.
    Before you start "the attack", I'm not hating the game, or review, even myself will probably purchase it, just noting.

3. RumMumMario

RumMumMario Lieutenant General (23) Member

I worked and made a quick buck to buy the game for my own. Thanks, too!

4. cacadun

In that case this makes this review even more honest and convincing.

RumMumMario likes this.
  5. Staple

Staple General of the Army (25) Member

if you bought it for someone, you cant really say its worth 15$ because you arent playing the game :^)

6. cacadun

Maybe I wrote it wrongly, however I thought buying a game, and gifting a game is two different actions, but now I see if someone bought a game for you, it has te be gifted.