1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please register or sign in to get full access to the forum.

Is a Ruler really cheating ???

Discussion in 'General Game Talk' started by Astro_Break, Jun 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Astro_Break

Astro_Break New Born (1) Member

I first started playing this game around January and I am level 58 and have an alt 32 account. A few weeks after playing I started to use my Index finger as a way to calculate my shot at a 100 power, which lined up perfectly with my screen so that each finger gap was one less angle. I hit my target 90% of the times. I am pretty sure most people here would consider that tactic as a "skill". And this can be done by any player.........all you have to do is get an idea of the distance between each angle shot at a 100 power on your screen, which for me was luckily the size of my index finger (the gap between each angle shot is the same)

About a month ago after watching Ssundee's video on a ruler, I decided to make one. All this did was give a rest to my index finger :p I still played exactly like before. However, before making a physical ruler I was a skilled player, and after simply jotting down my technique on a piece of paper I am considered a cheater ????

I have seen many players type a co-ordinate in the chat to remember it the next time.............how is a ruler any different?? If anyone can consider my original technique as a skill then why is a ruler so frowned upon??

2. Tavi

Tavi First Sergeant (11) Member

Skill to Reliance. Outside information to improve results. Honestly wouldn't find a finger as 'skill' imo, but it requires your own knowledge to do successfully. Literally anyone can use the exact same ruler and use it with identical results from start with 0 practice.

Scarlet and xXTacocubesXx like this.
  3. Penguin

Penguin Captain (17) Member

Ruler is something that can be used really easly in SSL.Mostly because now it is starigth shot to someone and kill him cause most of games are deathmatch.I have a SIMPLE suggestions to make ruler not really OP:

-increase marksman xp: it is a really hard mode and you can't miss one time that you are dead...... it should give way higher xp and in this game mode ruler just can't work
    -increase the "nudge" effect
    -new game setting: bumper and portals often oblige players to shot in different ways and i think you should be able to choose how much of them you want in game(can't choose more bumps in rebound)
    1: bumper frequence of spwan: low,medium,high
    2: portal spawn: low,medium,high
    3: what about more "sky" elements?would be cool
    -new game modes/mod:
    1: rebound mode but with portals
    2: no angle mode
    - give an xp penality to someone that used more than X amount of time a 100 power shot(the xp penality is supposed to be consistent) if you think about that 100 power shots are just too easy and sure to hit and doesn't need to much skills,ALL lvl 80 + players use 100 power 86 angle when they can so they have 100% chance to hit their enemies,I think that it is pretty boring
    that were "simple" ideas to limit ruler using and make ssl a bit different and funnier

4. xXTacocubesXx

xXTacocubesXx Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

I wouldn't even worry about such a question. Of course a ruler would replicate the same results if you were to use your finger. Pretty much every arcing method you can think of can be translated to a ruler. Like Tavi said, the difference is that using a ruler requires little to no practice. It's doing the work for you. You didn't hit that shot, the ruler did. Any other method of aiming will require some degree of practice.

Taylor, Scarlet and Tavi like this.
  5. MeowrPower

MeowrPower Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

Yes, yes it is.

Tavi and Optimus Prime like this.
  6. Mena

Mena Private E-1 (2) Member

Okay, let me set a scenario for you.

People who arc (Full power skyward shots) without actual rulers do not always hit with deadly accuracy. They have learnt to arc through experience and practice. A ruler user meanwhile, uses a tool that is not implemented in the game to aid them with their aiming. They will not miss (usually) and have arced with zero skill and experience. Now you have to ask yourself: Is it really fair that a level 1 can do with ease immediately, what took me weeks or months to perfect, just because that level 1 is using a tool to aim? Is it really fair that the level 1 "out-aims" you in the skill or arcing, simply because he is too lazy to learn how to play the game properly? I know for a fact that I like to take pride in my aiming. People now call me a ruler user but that is not what bothers me. It is the fact that we now play a game where people suspect ruler or aimbot usage, simply because it has become a common thing lately. It really puts me off this game sometimes.

In conclusion, using a ruler is cheating. It is the usage of a tool to help you aim. Similar to an aimbot which would be frowned upon in any other game. Using the finger method or other estimation methods is fine. You are not using any sort of tool that is not implemented in the game.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    Taylor, Owl Pacino and apemanzilla like this.
  7. RumMumMario

RumMumMario Lieutenant General (23) Member

You're relying on something aside from your brain (inb4 smartass replies), therefore it is cheating.

Is it cheating if you use calculators in arithmetic tests? Is it cheating if you use dictionaries for reading comprehension exams? Is it cheating to compete in Mr. Olympia with steroids? Is it cheating to use a rubber bat in baseball?

Enough said.

Owl Pacino likes this.
  8. Astro_Break

Well, after reading the replies here I am going to stop using the ruler and rely on the finger method, but I still think a ruler is OK to use as long as you learned the concept of how the ruler works yourself and not on some video or the internet.

9. Penguin

Penguin Captain (17) Member

man aiming is 95% of SSL gameplay,then how using ruler is not cheating?

you have to play with what game gives you so using angle is not cheating,if game gave you a ruler when you bougth it then it wasn't cheating that is most simple thing in the world. And why do you ask something if you already have your answer and won't change opinion?

apemanzilla likes this.
  10. Astro_Break

It was a rhetorical question, never needed an answer, just wanted to voice my opinion. I love this game and respect it enough to not do something which is considered wrong by the community even if I have a different opinion.

Tavi likes this.