1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please register or sign in to get full access to the forum.

Is steam worth it Again?

Discussion in 'Questions & Answers' started by paul1999, Mar 4, 2016.

1. paul1999

paul1999 Master Sergeant (10) Member

So... Hi everyone... I'm Paul1999. I guess some of you know me but due to the massive swarm of Steam players joining the forums, a little background. I'm paul1999 nice to meet you.

NOW. I have a chromebook. If you don't know what it is, it is a computer entirely run by ChromeOS. It is 99% in-compatible with steam, but I've hacked it and completely changed the entirety of the computer. I got steam and was able to play SSLS. I enjoyed it, got to like level 50 or 60 maybe even 70. Now I'm 84 because of the xp buff, but that's irrelevant. Anyways, it took a lot of time to hack and even risked the safety of my computer, but I did it perfectly. My question is. Should I do it again? I am currently playing on SSL2 because, well I love that game. Great memories, still have a few friends there. But now I need reasons to either go to Steam or not. Please give me a lot of reasons why or why not to hack my computer and get there. Thanks :)
    EDIT: The last time I was there, I remember everyone leaving because honestly it wasn't meeting expectations. What I need is for you guys to explain to me what's changed and why I should go back Thanks :)

PS Been gone for a year so Hi everyone who I know and adore <3

2. Happyfirecat4

Happyfirecat4 New Born (1) Member

Welcome back! I admittedly don't know you because I bought the game during the "Dark ages" about 5 and a half months ago, but you seem like a nice person.

I'm not too knowledgable about this stuff, but I've done some reading on the forums so I have a general idea about what's been going on recently. After some big twitch celebrities started playing the game and it got more popular, the owner started releasing updates more frequently to keep the players around. In my opinion, the lobby looks a lot more polished and is definitely an improvement from when I first played. I can't tell you what's new since you played, so your better off asking somebody else. A few notable ones recently though, is a tournament mode, three settings of wind you can put into the game that adds more complexity to shooting, rebound gamemode where all shots must bounce off a bumper to deal damage, a "One Weapon" modification where you only get one weapon at a time, daily spinner for gears, and some EXP rebalancing.

Obviously I'm not going to tell you to go ruin your computer. It's your computer, so it's your desicion. If you think you can do it safely, go for it.

Here's another solution: Get a computer that runs steam.
    :p

Awesume and Taylor like this.
  3. Awesume

Awesume Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

You have more friends on steam, daily spin (free gears), Some new weps (most are on ssl2), Better graphics. other then wat Happy said not much else.
    I just want to know, you have to hack each time you want to go on steam?

4. Penguin

Penguin Captain (17) Member

so like you did i stoped to play for some time,now i came back and there is finally a decent amount of player,there is cool new stuff (weps,new box types,mods ecc) and now lvling up became way easier cause of xp buff.Other great thngs that kyle added is a very good reward for wind games that actually breaks the old boring games,there is also a mode that gives you just one weapon each turn and it gives great xp bonus as well. for sure ssl steam beacame way better than what it was like 2 months ago(kyle is finnaly active with update,next one will come in 3 days and it will add a totaly new game mode!) so i think that is worth it to move.

Awesume likes this.
  5. paul1999

Probably gonna hack it in like a month, but thanks for the input! And I really wish I could get another computer that is compatible with steam, unfortunately that's a wee bit expensive if I might say ;)
    Hey Awesume I mean You make a good point thanks love
    Due to all the updates that are happening I may actually hack my computer because it's actually being cared for now. When I started the steam it was fun for a while, then it just was not updated whatsoever, but kChamp is doing much better now!

Penguin, Awesume and Happyfirecat4 like this.
  6. ComplexOri

ComplexOri Sergeant (7) Member

Hey Paul, welcome back! I hope your career as a lawyer is getting closer:)

7. paul1999

Ori!!! Hey well I actually changed my career choice to Nuclear Engineering! It's a lot more rigorous and is more relative to the subjects I adore (Math and Science). Glad to see you still here :)

ComplexOri and Taylor like this.
  8. JohannZim

JohannZim Sergeant Major of the Army (14) Member

You should ask yourself why not move to steam (having to pay for the game?). Apart from that its just an improved version of ssl2 which means everything is better (cause it was improved obviously). Welcome back ;)

SubZero likes this.
  9. Hells Fury

Hells Fury Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

A lot of the old faces are still there, so it's not completely full of strangers. And its not as hard to find a game anymore. Frequent updates are also a thing now. Plus I need a new noob to play ❤

10. apemanzilla

apemanzilla Staff Sergeant (8) Member

I just want to say that there's absolutely no hacking required if you have an x86 Chromebook. You can use ChrUbuntu to install Linux on your Chromebook, and from there, install Steam and then SSLS. If you have an ARM Chromebook, it is technically still possible through the likes of qemu, but it won't be worth it at all.

11. paul1999

Oh look it's my Pegan Idol Johann <3 I know it's an improved version of SSL2, but I just need to way the goods against the bads because I'm risking the health of my computer a bit doing this ;)
    Nah bra I'd still beat you ;)
    It's not "Hacking" just I consider it hacking because you're practically re-writing the code in the computer and changing the entire thing, also while riskingn the health of my computer, so that's why I call it hacking ;) I install ChrUbuntu, it just takes hours of waiting and can go wrong at any time, possibly ruining my computer, but I've done it before, I just need to make sure it's worth the risks. Which from here on out I think I'm most likely coming back because I'm really liking how it's turned out.

Happyfirecat4, Awesume and Taylor like this.
  12. paul1999

Well I guess here we go! Wish me luck :)