1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please register or sign in to get full access to the forum.

Lobby Overhaul

Discussion in 'Announcements & Updates' started by kChamp, Jan 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kChamp

kChamp Developer Developer

I'm currently working on redesigning the entire lobby screen. The goal is for it to be clean and simple, while providing all the same features.

The currently lobby is a bit hectic and cluttered. New players (especially those unfamiliar with SSL) are easily confused, and it's not exactly pleasing to the eye.

Here's an early preview of the new lobby:
    [​IMG]

The profile box in the top left consolidates the top bar you're used to. It also gives you a visual of your current tank. Bottom left contains a menu with a few options. Right side of the screen changes based on what you select in the menu. Haven't added the lobby chat yet.

My development focus is on the future of SSL. I realize the current online player count is small, but that's to be expected in a game that is still under development. The updates I choose to work on aren't catered to the current small community, but to the future of the game. Most of you probably don't see this as a high-priority change, but for the average (and new) player, it will make a big difference. The new lobby will also be easily navigated with a controller, which is necessary for an eventual console release.

I plan to clean up the look of the entire game. It needs to be simple and intuitive to gain and hold a player-base.

New lobby ETA: 1/12/16

2. Nightwing

Nightwing Sergeant First Class (9) Member

kewl beans

3. RumMumMario

RumMumMario General of the Army (25) Member

This looks really clean and refreshing. I know you will add more but I feel like that screenshot you provided feels a little too empty. You could add an update log that can be scrolled to fill in some space along with lobby chat though so we'll see how it goes.

Besides that, unique background perhaps? Hills look okay but a little boring.

kChamp likes this.
  4. kChamp

Plans are to have a live background. A subtle blurred battle going on behind the UI.

5. RumMumMario

RumMumMario General of the Army (25) Member

That sounds really sexy, will look forward to that.

6. xXTacocubesXx

xXTacocubesXx Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

That UI looks a million times better! And I like that blurry background battle idea. Some other ideas I have for the future of the lobby interface: Game join request. If you click a game in progress you can request entry and the host of the room will get a small notification of the person(s) trying to join, which shows their name, avatar, and tank level. The host has an option to accept or deny the request, and the player requesting entry will get a notification based on the host's choice. If accepted, the player should get a game invite similar to how it's handled via Steam. Except it's within the game itself, rather than the external Steam interface. Which I think would be a bit more convenient, plus easier for everyone to find a game, especially if you have little to no friends who play this game. This could be difficult to implement, but it's an idea which could help increase the player base.

Bonus: Custom lobby themes/ colors. Personally I'm sick of seing blue all the time. How about orange?

Thanks for staying strong amidst all of us complaining

7. Mr Synikal

Mr Synikal Sergeant Major of the Army (14) Member

Changing the introduction page would provide a more dynamic visual appeal also.
    [​IMG]

ComplexOri, Hells Fury, LL99 and 6 others like this.
  8. kChamp

Yeah, the intro page definitely needs some work too.

9. Mr Synikal

Mr Synikal Sergeant Major of the Army (14) Member

For me, it seems the "Featured" and "Owned" tabs in the Shop are potentially taking up valuable space and are basically useless because this information is already captured in the other tabs. They seem to be causing unnecessary clutter. Simplicity is more organized and easier to relate to. I don't see the need for these particular 2 tabs when we get the same info from the others. Just my 2 cents.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    SubZero likes this.
  10. Taylor

Taylor Trolls Beware ^o^ Former Moderator

This will be interesting to see a Rocket League sorta look to the SSL lobby page.
    Thanks for letting us know your development focus which you'll be working on also.
    It will nice to see what ways you'll clean up the visual look of the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.