1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please register or sign in to get full access to the forum.

Mode: Abyss

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by >> <<, Jul 20, 2016.

?

Does this seem like a fun and balanced game mode?

1. This was my dream game mode all along, my life would be complete if it were implimented.

6.3%
  2. Yes, It seems both fun and balanced.

62.5%
  3. It seems fun, but not well balanced enough.

12.5%
  4. It seems balanced, but it wouldn't be fun.

12.5%
  5. No! It seems neither fun nor balanced

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Atrocious! This suggestion should throw itself back into the abyss where it belongs!

6.3%
  1. >> <<

>> << Private E-1 (2) Member

This game mode plays out as if both teams' tanks were fighting at the bottom of an abyss (hence the name)

The Abyss game mode is identical to the Deathmatch game mode but with the following differences:

• The entire screen is blacked out, including terrain.
    • You can only see within a small circle about 2 tanks in radius surrounding you and your teammates that reveal both each other and a small portion of the surrounding terrain that you and them are on.
    • Enemy tanks are also blacked out
    • Your shots will not be visible nor leave a shot tracer outside of your circle of vision, but it will be visible to the enemy once inside their circles of vision. The explosion will be visible to both teams
    • Tracer items still function normally
    • Damage numbers are not visible, however, your damage dealt and exp earned as well as the damage board at the end of each turn is.
    • Portals and bumpers are visible, and will flash as they normally do when a shot passes through or rebounds off them. They do not have their own circle of vision but you can tell when something hits them.
    • Crates and 2x bonuses are visible. The item collection effect from crates is also blacked out until in the collector (or one of their teammate's) circle of vision.
    • Gears are not blacked out
    • Water type weapon shots will still have the visible water effects at their point of impact.
    • Flame type weapon shots will be visible upon contact with a surface.
    • Chat bubbles are only visible to the allied team, but all messages can be viewed on the chat board.
    • If you OR one of your teammates hits the same target 3 consecutive times, the consecutive hitter will gain an additional 5 XP as well as reveal their target to their team for the next turn.
    • Relative to Deathmatch's 1.2x XP multiplier on default settings with a 1.0x XP map and Rebound's 1.8x XP multiplier on default settings with a 1.0x XP map, Abyss has a 2.0x XP multiplier on default settings with a 1.0x XP map.
    In this game mode, communication with teammates is key: knowing the position of your enemy is vital to emerging victorious. Although you wont be able to see your shot itself nor its damage numbers, the damage board at the end of each turn will reveal to you whether you landed a hit or not. Did your explosion overlap a teammate's explosion, and both did damage? Bingo! The overlapping zone of the explosion is where your target is.

However, players will have to keep track of how much terrain their weapons are destroying, as well as how much is being recovered by each earthquake in order to successfully keep hitting their targets. The fact that enemy tanks can move, and also that you wont know what the terrain is like (especially with random map) until you land some shots or see a gear roll across the surface just adds to the complexity of this game mode and is responsible for its large XP multiplier. Teleport and Telecrates will prove to be extremely useful.

Note: Although it may seem difficult to hit something in the dark, there are some weapons with very large effective ranges that still reveal the exact or near exact location of enemy tanks such as weapons with shots that do not detonate until they hit the target, weapons consisting of many explosions that do not all land or detonate at once, and weapons that direct themselves towards the target.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    apemanzilla, Taylor, Tavi and 3 others like this.
  2. Penguin

Penguin Captain (17) Member

it looks great!I think that maybe you should have something that can tell you (not exactly) where your enemy is place or finding it on a dark map can be really hard!Maybe everytime you hit you get + 5 xp dark skill shot?With x1,6 xp mult 2,3 is too OP.I still think that it can be a great game mode

Tavi and Optimus Prime like this.
  3. Ruleaus

Ruleaus Private E-2 (3) Member

I don't like it. Just sounds like a game of luck and guessing; shooting with your eyes closed until you can get super close to the enemy to see them.

4. MeowrPower

MeowrPower Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

Another note, no chat bubbles, that would mess everything up xD

Tavi and Scarlet like this.
  5. StarrPower

StarrPower New Born (1) Member

Seems fun but to make it better you should add little circles of vision to the pellets of fire related weapons, so that you can at least see what the f are you doing.
    Obviously the light doesn't stay there forever but you could be hiding at the edge of the fricking map and nobody would suspect that, do you know what i'm saying?
    (Also sorry for any bad grammar and stuff. Not primary language + 1 o'clock AM = To much TRIGGERED to sleep)

6. Tavi

Tavi First Sergeant (11) Member

Thought out, written well and sounds fun. +1
    The xp mult is a bit too high though.

7. Soundless

Soundless Corporal (5) Member

I like the idea of the shockwave, but I think it might be better for it to have as an item only usable in this gamemode, and to have a set amount you can use before running out. Otherwise, everyone would use that shockwave to find out the position before firing. :p

If you find anything wrong with what I just said, please tell me so I can understand. I'm a bit oblivious to things that aren't obvious. :p

8. Taylor

Taylor Brigadier General (21) Former Moderator

If this could ever work properly within the parameters of the game it would be truly awesome.
    Nice work writing this up man, looks like a lot of work went into it. :)

Tavi likes this.
  9. Blue Phantom

Blue Phantom Sergeant (7) Member

Exactly. But it wouldn't go everywhere, just a small area. And you can't use it more than once in a turn. The idea is that people will map out the map with waves, and get the game balanced.

10. Soundless

Soundless Corporal (5) Member

Thanks. I feel like an idiot now :/

Blue Phantom likes this.