1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please register or sign in to get full access to the forum.

Official Wiki

Discussion in 'Announcements & Updates' started by kChamp, Apr 17, 2017.

1. kChamp

kChamp Developer Developer

Hey guys!

I haven't posted here in a while, but I wanted you to be the first to know that I'm setting up an official wiki for the game.

https://shellshocklive.gamepedia.com

If you want to help contribute to get things set up and populated before releasing to the public, feel free! I've already done a lot of work myself and set up a framework for certain page types.

Kyle

2. KingKyd

KingKyd Sergeant Major of the Army (14) Member

I will be sure to provide the appropriate information on what racially-insensitive slurs and profane vocabulary to expect based on which match type you're beating your opponents in.

But on a serious note, if there was a section strictly based on strategies and techniques for specific match types and the best situations to use certain weapons in, I would be more than welcome to devoting some free time to writing in a lot of the knowledge I have accrued in nearly four years of playing ShellShock Live. Everyone knows just how hardcore I got towards the end of SSL2 for browser, so I have a lot of information to share. Perhaps a "Guide to Arsenal Efficiency" section would suit well. Or, I can add in information for every weapon in the Weapons section.

No, I'm serious. That's like 350+ sections I'm willing to put my time into.

EDIT: My username on Gamepedia will be "Hwcollins" so if the site adds footnotes for edits, that's me.

EDIT 2: I am actually working on descriptions and basic information for weapons right now, but not adding anything like proper techniques like stated above. If anyone could tell me how to add new sections in the Weapon Attributes area, let me know. "Range-Affected: Yes/No" and "Wind-Affected: Yes/No" sections would be useful for weapons that reduce in damage when fired at close range and are susceptible to wind effects.

Also, I am not exactly sure how to calculate Explosion Radius, so if anyone could help me out there it'd be much appreciated.

EDIT 3: Also going to need some insight on how to delete sections on pages. Weapons that do not go to Tier 4 still have Tier 4 description sections.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    AdmiralObvious and Taylor like this.
  3. Holy2334

Holy2334 Sergeant Major of the Army (14) Member

Where do I start? :eek:

4. RumMumMario

RumMumMario General of the Army (25) Member

I think you're 5000 updates away from actually needing a wiki.
    Okay bud, relax.

5. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Corporal (5) Member

I added very basic descriptions for about 9 weapons total(Sniper, Sub-Sniper, SmartSnipe, Satellite, UFO, Dead Weight, Dead Riser, Jumper, Triple-Jumper, Chunklet, Chunker)

(Basic descriptions- proper colour codes, correct damage, weapon names)

EDIT:
    I added some stuff to the tank parts, I need more information on levels unlocked etc.

Anyone feel free to erase all of it and make someone new, just trying to help :(

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    AdmiralObvious likes this.
  6. Holy2334

He just needed to get the wiki started while we fill out the rest.

AdmiralObvious and Optimus Prime like this.
  7. KingKyd

I am providing information on where I have edited so people don't think I just gave up, leaving sections incomplete. Unless you're editing it too, it's a lot more effort and detail than what you're giving.

If and when I get to those, I'll most likely keep your information and see if it needs anything additional. Thank you for adding in the extras as well.

On a side note, if anyone can edit this, I feel like it is but a matter of time until someone comes in and ruins everything. Just earlier I accidentally deleted the code for the WeaponDetail template. That ruins weapons pages very quick. Provided there are history edits to revert, but moderation of some sort may need to be in order here.

8. Holy2334

I noticed that there isn't anything on the wiki devoted to the campaign. Is there anybody willing to make a template for that to be filled in?

AdmiralObvious and Optimus Prime like this.
  9. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Corporal (5) Member

I added all of the challenges, feel free to add to them and fill in rewards aswell

10. Bookworm52

Bookworm52 New Born (1) Member

My question is: are we just going to say "up to 162", or should we detail the damage composition, like 14*8+1*50?

11. KingKyd

I believe that is a bit more than necessary to put in the WeaponDetail box, as people probably are not interested to read mathematics when they play this game. I added the details of the damage each projectile does to the descriptions, to give them a bit more use. Otherwise, it's just goofy comments that are made to entertain the user. That isn't very useful.

Like stated previously, it could be useful to also add effective/suggestive strategies to each description. If that would be fine with everyone else, I can provide that. A proper section dedicated just to that would probably be in order. I would format everything in a more appealing manner if I had more knowledge about how Gamepedia coding works. Maybe I will play around with it some later.

12. Tyrannis

Tyrannis New Born (1) Member

13. RumMumMario

Whoever's doing weapon descriptions, they sound like advertisements.

Less praising, more concise information.

14. Blue Phantom

Blue Phantom Sergeant First Class (9) Member

Gamepedia, heck yes!

I gotta start writing there. I wonder when someone will start putting their own beliefs about the game there. I sure hope not...

Relax.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  15. KingKyd

This is very useful! Thank you.

You know very well I'm the one doing them. The information is plentiful, but it should also be entertaining to read. Again, unless you're contributing, I don't think you have a lot of room to complain.

I see this happening eventually, if no moderation precautions are taken.

Blue Phantom and AdmiralObvious like this.
  16. Holy2334

It looks like there is two people there (Not Kchamp) who is moderating the wiki. One of them works for Gamepedia and the other one is Admiral Obvious from the steam discussion boards. He made a thread there asking for noob help since they are the only ones who can get the information that higher levels can't. But it looks like those are the only other two at the moment.

17. Goomba

Goomba Master Sergeant (10) Member

Well the weapon pages don't follow a traditional Wiki text format. If a person wants information on a weapon or anything, they just want to find the information without having to read through fluff and filler text. Just supply what is necessary information and if there are witty things to be said, there are occasionally "Trivia" sections at the bottoms of articles in other Wikis.

But that's just my two cents

RumMumMario and AdmiralObvious like this.
  18. Credipede

Credipede I'm a human, not an insect. Administrator

Great idea, I'll help with adding more information to the wiki when I'm not busy doing other things.

19. KingKyd

Considering this Wiki can be edited by anyone, I don't think you will be seeing a "traditional Wiki text format" much anywhere. If the Wiki is to be not only useful but recommended and entertaining, it should also provide some substance that is not robotic. Of all the people that will ever play ShellShock Live on Steam, probably 15-20% will visit the Wiki at least once, and 1-2% actually use it. This is for those people.

Delightful. Some semblance of moderation is necessary for a place like this.

20. AdmiralObvious

AdmiralObvious New Born (1) Member

That's me (I just made my forum account here today). I'm pretty much going to make sure the wiki doesn't explode/catch fire and/or bot spam. I was slightly supprised to see how quick edits are coming in too, which is really nice to see.
    I've been paying attention to the wiki, and apparently the automated system has already stopped certian parties from trying to spam the main page a little. So, unless people start messing with other stuff, I probably won't need to worry too much.

I'd personally like some system of standardization, and I don't mind the "ad" type weapon descriptions, assuming the proper description on what the weapon does specifically is also included.

I might need to also protect the weapons template... template, since I'm seeing that thing get edited A LOT by different groups. I can always revert changes, but I don't like how vulnerable it is. Right now, people need to tweak it for pertinent information, but eventually I'm hoping to have it locked to either confirmed members of the wiki, or even going as far as administrator only as a precaution.

Edit: Also, a nice feature of this wiki is the "patrol" feature. It's a pretty great way to make sure someone's proofread someone else's work. I generally read through the revision history, and pretty much all pages are not "patrolled" showing a warning. If you're making a cursory pass over some pages, it'd be nice to hit "page was patrolled". That way I know someone other than the last editor looked at the page, made sure its not gibberish. If anything is wrong, feel free to notify me either via the notice board, or on my wiki account.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Holy2334 likes this.
  21. RumMumMario

Plentiful, sure, concise, no.

FLAME: You probably shouldn't play with matches. Unless your "match" is a game in ShellShock Live, where you can use a match in your match to match your opponent in your match. This description probably isn't very helpful thus far, so it'll just be left at this: Flame fires twelve projectiles that burn your victim trice at 1HP damage a piece. It may not be very effective, but it could save your rear-end from getting burned in a bet!

STREAM: You would be hard-pressed not to equate this weapon to a normal human bodily function, but the jokes stop there. Stream can deal serious damage with the right touch, with twenty projectiles dealing 4HP damage a piece.

MEGADIGGER: Take the awesome power of Digger, make the weapon even bigger, and pull the trigger. Or, activate the cannon on your tank. Either way, pending your success in landing Mega-Digger the right way, you'll have four blasts of fury into the ground doing your dirty work on the opposition.

Italics are the unnecessary part. Some weapons are written well but these are some examples I came across by. 3/4 of the text is filler.

Most game wikis as well as Wikipedia are editable by anyone but they still manage to maintain a traditional format. It doesn't have to be some insanely rich text. When we go to wiki, we go there for information, not entertainment. I get what you're trying to go for but I don't think it will work well because all it's doing is making the reader go "okay I get it".

22. KingKyd

Fine then, you do it. I'll stop editing completely. The pages already are not going to be accessed by a grand amount of people, so the best option is to entertain ourselves a little with it. If the game's own tooltips that used to exist were about as useful as a bag of old potatoes, then I think some of the information on the Wiki should follow the same pattern.

Someone is going to edit it all eventually, so go ahead. I quit. It really seems like this place just isn't what it used to be, because everyone is so cynical and pessimistic to the point that if anyone is having fun anywhere, even while being helpful, they must be shot down. So go ahead, you do it. Fill in over 300 sections with specific information without wanting to bash your skull in.

Optimus Prime likes this.
  23. Credipede

Credipede I'm a human, not an insect. Administrator

Personally, I enjoy reading the filler sentences, they add a bit of spice to the wiki. You shouldn't compare a gamepedia or a wiki about a game to an actual wiki, as example Wikipedia.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    KingKyd likes this.
  24. Staple

Staple General of the Army (25) Member

yo im just saying but a wiki is to inform and give statistical information about stuff, thats the point of it

literally look at most wiki articles

25. RumMumMario

Calm down, Jesus Christ, how sensitive are you? All I did was make a criticism, if you want to keep going with your style, go for it, I don't care. Throughout this whole thread you are acting overly hostile to me while I remained completely civil. I'm sorry that not everybody likes the way you wrote the wiki but you're honestly acting like a child here.