1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please register or sign in to get full access to the forum.

Official Wiki

Discussion in 'Announcements & Updates' started by kChamp, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Holy2334

Holy2334 Sergeant Major of the Army (14) Member

That's what I was thinking after reading the three examples Rum used in his post. Like if you were going take all the weapons of SSL2 and throw them into the wiki, it would be the tooltip given in italics and then a description which it looks like you're doing now. Although the weapon tool tips currently don't exist in the game yet, Kyle could just take the lazy way out and just copy paste the descriptions you wrote and use them as tooltips for the weapons in a later update. Especially when there is so many to go through now, having them made already would be nice.

If you are going to go that route, I would try to keep those kinds of descriptions on the short side. Like for stream...

This is perfect as a tool tip that could be added to the game, and the description itself is perfect and should be what the other weapon descriptions should follow. Using the other two examples Rum used in his post....

I would get rid of the "Unless your "match" is a game in ShellShock Live, where you can use a match in your match to match your opponent in your match. This description probably isn't very helpful thus far, so it'll just be left at this:" part and the rest would be fine.

So it would just be:

FLAME: You probably shouldn't play with matches. Flame fires twelve projectiles that burn your victim trice at 1HP damage a piece. It may not be very effective, but it could save your rear-end from getting burned in a bet!

And for MegaDigger I would shorten it off to:

MEGADIGGER: Take the awesome power of Digger, make the weapon even bigger, and pull the trigger. Or, activate the cannon on your tank. [<--- This would be the tooltip] Either way, pending your success in landing Mega-Digger the right way, you'll have four blasts of fury into the ground doing your dirty work on the opposition. [This would be the description]

I hope any of this makes sense.

2. KingKyd

KingKyd Sergeant Major of the Army (14) Member

This will be the last time I am going to respond to you, because the last thing this thread needs is to burst into flames. It's an important one in ShellShock Live history, so I will just say the following:

A. You knew who was doing the weapons section, because I literally pointed it out above in big, bright centered letters where I was at, which is a post you also responded to.
    B. From past encounters, I can tell you don't like me very much, so be it. If I were to do anything, anywhere, that has the slightest hint of my personality mixed in with it, you'd shoot it down.
    C. If you're going to call someone childish and criticize the way they are doing something, then you probably should attempt to fix it yourself when you know very well you have the power to. Otherwise, you're just blowing smoke for the sake of trying to antagonize me. Again, so be it.

It does make sense, and you were thinking exactly what I was thinking. I do say some descriptions could be shortened some, so perhaps I'll work on that tonight. I've been busy with birthday festivities and work so I haven't had much time to add more. I just kind of dislike how the pages are so large, but there's only so much that can be written about these weapons, making the page look empty. Really makes me think that adding in useful strategies for each weapon would help fill out the pages more.

3. Goomba

Goomba Master Sergeant (10) Member

I think there should be an official suggestions portion of the wiki that I can rule over.

4. the wither man

the wither man New Born (1) Member

Hello! I'm new to the community
    I have a question, when you update shell shock live 2 the flash version on facebook?
    Thanks! :)

5. AdmiralObvious

AdmiralObvious New Born (1) Member

That's the "community portal" section basically.

6. Mr Synikal

Mr Synikal Sergeant Major of the Army (14) Member

I don't know much about Wikis but shouldn't this have been completed by kChamp before it was implemented? Or is it expected to have users explain every aspect of the game in detail? It seems he put it on us to do the work. Eh, but what do I know? If no one stepped up to explain information, the thing probably would just sit there with no attention. In that event, it would be another Kyle fail. Is it expected for us to assist in its development even though a Wiki doesn't seem important? I doubt players will take the time to study the science of weapon damage. It's a waste of time in my opinion. Even if it was completed before being implemented, I think most would just look at it a few times and get back to playing the game.

7. RumMumMario

RumMumMario General of the Army (25) Member

^

Remember when he made a wiki before and it just sat there because no one cared? Kyle didn't even mention why he shut it down and why he decided to start a new wiki again on a different site. Stop being a bot and say something Kyle.

8. Goomba

Goomba Master Sergeant (10) Member

In his defense, Kyle had a burst of activity for a bit there. He was updating the game pretty frequently a little while ago, he started the wiki and added templates for everything, he's been more active on the game with playing with playing with people, and he also commented on my weapon skin idea on steam. So it was a slight rise from the dead

Blue Phantom and KingKyd like this.
  9. Blue Phantom

Blue Phantom First Sergeant (11) Member

Mario you do make everything sound like a political debate.

Cool. Did Kyle hire you to do his wiki?

I know how good the Gamepedia is for a wiki because I spend time at the STO pedia a lot. It's way easier to use than Wikia, and sleeker as well.
    I think that it would be a good idea to have a fly-catcher for new pages. It stops anyone from making crap pages, either about their own superskillz or about the founder of their religion (I saw a page in a wikia about exactly that.)

10. LethalMajestic

LethalMajestic New Born (1) Member

It would be cool to see a link to a video of each weapon at use in game in the most efficient manner possible in the descriptions of the weapons. For example "three-ball" would have a link of someone demonstrating how to use the weapon, and only that weapon not 10 others as well...

11. faaarkwit

faaarkwit Staff Sergeant (8) Member

I believe that is how wikis often work, they get their contents from the community.

12. AdmiralObvious

AdmiralObvious New Born (1) Member

Sorry I'm really late on the reply, I had to go on an extended trip with little Internet. No I wasn't hired (as in I'm not paid). I just applied on the "claim a wiki" page and was assigned as the wiki guardian, which basically meant the guy who helps hold things together while there's an extremely small active community.

Blue Phantom likes this.