1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please register or sign in to get full access to the forum.

[POLL] Should SSL Wiki move to Gamepedia?

Discussion in 'General Game Talk' started by RumMumMario, May 28, 2015.

?

Hmm?

1. Yes.

50.0%
  2. No.

42.9%
  3. For the love of god, yes.

7.1%
  4. For the love of god, no.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RumMumMario

RumMumMario Lieutenant General (23) Member

Let's face it. The current wiki sucks. You can't add media files for visual aids (unless Kyle enables it decades later), limited formatting styles, visually boring and flat, etc...

It is not only that it lacks convenience, but it looks boring too, especially considering it's a wiki page for a game.

While Gamepedia is a wiki solely made for games. There have been lots and lots of very famous games that have their wiki on their (and that proves its high reputation), and all of them look excellent. Sample page.Wiki for this game might be useless-ish, but making it very boring looking will restrain users from viewing it more. Gamepedia is really awesome and visually appealing. It's even fun to just look at it.

Gamepedia is free. Do you think we should create SSL wiki on there before people waste their times on making pages? If so, I'll go and make it. (or moderators if people prefer it that way)

Opinions?

Taylor likes this.
  2. UberFayt

UberFayt New Born (1) Member

This game needs all the appeal it can get, so I think it would be highly beneficial to go with gamepedia.

3. JohannZim

JohannZim Sergeant Major of the Army (14) Member

I dont even know gamepedia.

[​IMG]

4. RumMumMario

It's basically a wiki website that was developed for the purpose of game wikis. Quite clean. Click Here for a sample website from another game.

5. referee11

referee11 First Lieutenant (16) Member

Again, as mentioned in other threads, we should first debate whether it is suitable for a wiki. In my opinion, there is no need one for one. This isn't like Terraria, which has thousands of items and enemies. If we decide that the game really is suitable for a wiki (which it really isn't now imo), then we can determine if it is worth moving or not.
    Also, just realized you linked a Terraria weapon. +5

6. kChamp

kChamp Developer Developer

Would Gamepedia have any benefit over the current wiki if I enabled uploads? It looks like it's built on MediaWiki also.

7. RumMumMario

Besides the fact that it's visually unappealing, sure.

But I think Gamepedia is a great choice as they provide everything you need in order to make a game wiki. It's also slightly simpler (at least in my opinion) to learn how to create basic charts and stuff for beginners. Honestly in my opinion, gaming wikis should be attractive and neat. Wikia is another option if you prefer that better.
    My current main concern is that the wiki now looks very boring and players will most likely choose to ask others instead of hurting their poor little eyes reading it. If it's built on Mediawiki, then perhaps you could try and make it look, you know, cool? ;p

jgalloway64 likes this.
  8. Erile

Erile First Sergeant (11) Member

I recommend avoiding wikia at all costs. They are well known for the following:
    1) not allowing site moves (even if they own none of the copyrights and the community is 100% in favor of it)
    2) overriding individual copyrights and forcing people to take legal action in order to assert your legal copyright. (in violation of their own user agreements and the creative commons standards)
    3) not allowing control over which mediawiki applications are used on the site, even if they interfere with page operation
    4) massive ads that overrun the pages on many platforms (they refuse to fix or allow you to fix pages where the ad is impinging on the page content and runs over the allowed area)

RumMumMario likes this.