1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please register or sign in to get full access to the forum.

[S] New weapon system ideas. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Game Talk' started by kChamp, May 9, 2015.

?

What do you think of the new system I described?

1. Good

59.5%
  2. Bad

40.5%
  1. MeowrPower

MeowrPower Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

Okay my opinion, I hate it.

Since i'm used to having a choice that could be the main thing.
    But I want to fully upgrade all weps and when im getting mini pinger instead of pinger and other hard to upgrade weps like that and getting lower versions it frustrates me and also after putting effort into upgrading specific weps and now I have even less of a chance of using them

Edit: Also it is giving me weapon tiers I have not unlocked yet

2. Taylor

Taylor Brigadier General (21) Former Moderator

Woo its already started lets continue ...

• Leveling weapons takes an eternity now
    • Game some how lost the fun appeal. On SSL2 at least you have some confidence.
    • When a game starts you can foretell the out come ahead of time
    • Leveling as a player I'm undecided on. I mean you get a good amount of xp still but you spend way more time on game now.
    • I feel really bad for those players that didn't upgrade many weapons that far or reach 80. Its going to be a long ride for them.
    • Maxing Luck is essential now to have a good chance at winning.
    I'll edit later.

49erfan7 likes this.
  3. Towel

Towel look mom i have a custom title Former Moderator

It seems like most all of the complaints about the new system are about the leveling being slowed, and that is a very valid point. It's probably the best idea to lower the XP requirements for most, if not all, of the weapon unlocks. And for pure player leveling, look into adding more bonuses at round completion. Have bonuses for things like assists and clutch plays and comebacks. That could add a whole new layer to the game.

Also, it felt before that a lot of weapons were made just as filler to complete the tier system. I say do away with them. Weapons like mini-pinger and mini-V have no place in this system now that all weapons are independent.

The system in it's current state is broken because the game was originally designed for the tab based system. Now it's time to go back to SSL's roots of each weapon being independent. Reverting is not the only option, don't fear change.

MeowrPower and Taylor like this.
  4. referee11

referee11 First Lieutenant (16) Member

I'm sorta meh about this whole thing. I personally would feel cheated if we went back to the old leveling system, because I gained all of those levels only to lose them potentially 24 hours later. At least there are some levels for those who have a tremendous amount of xp have to go through, even if they are spontaneously spread out.
    Also, the weapon leveling... that's gotta be fixed. Now, you can hardly get any particular weapon. It's just gotta be fixed.

5. astrofluxy

astrofluxy Corporal (5) Member

Thats why i play SSL2 again. Its the same just better... for now. I hope this gets re-changed.

6. MeowrPower

MeowrPower Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

When you get a weapon from a box it gives you the max level weather you have it unlocked or not, Like I got a blunderbuss and am nowhere near even unlocking flintlock :p

Taylor likes this.
  7. Credipede

Credipede Forum Administrator Administrator

I don't really understand how this slows down weapon leveling by much. Weapons are still leveled even if you shoot the lower version of a weapon. As example a Double-Splitter will still progress when shooting a normal Splitter. Also, some lower weapons are still a better choice in some situations than the higher weapons.

About the bugs, well... with a new system, new bugs appear, that's normal. I'm sure Kyle will fix those bugs soon.

8. Towel

To be fair it doesn't slow the leveling completely, but it does slow down a considerable amount. Now instead of using only double splitter to get to super splitter, you have to put up with normal splitters as well. Those numbers should be compensated for.

I mean, it's not like the leveling requirements weren't ridiculous to begin with anyways, even before all those weapons got nerfed.

Taylor likes this.
  9. kChamp

kChamp Developer Developer

I've updated the leveling speed to be faster now that the new system is in place.

49erfan7 likes this.
  10. Taylor

Well on the old system the leveling was fine. I hope this works ...

11. Holy2334

Holy2334 Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

It's because the lower tier weapons give a lower damage output when you use them which slows down leveling a bit.

Mr Synikal likes this.
  12. referee11

My question is: What was wrong with the tabs, exactly? I have not won a single game in this system because you need maxed luck to win. Seriously, this game is almost TOO balanced now. There is a reason why there are no utopias, and trying to make this game one will not work. There will always be rich and always be poor, as Communism proved in the days of Mao Zedong. Go back to the old system.

13. Dryykon

Dryykon Second Lieutenant (15) Member

Far be it that actual skill determines who will win.

Towel likes this.
  14. Credipede

This is not meant to be insulting, but it may be that your skill was not as good as the skill of the other player.

Usual SSLS system: Unbalanced, the player with the higher level (with more upgraded weapons) wins, it's impossible to win against a player which has Level 80 if you're Level 40.
    With the current "new" old SSL2 weapon system: Balanced, the player with the higher skill wins, it's possible to win against a player which has Level 80 if you're Level 40.

Even though it makes sense that a player with a higher level wins against a player with lower level, ShellShock Live should be based on skill and not on the level. And even though players with a high level don't get their upgraded weapons on a 100% chance anymore, the advantage is still big enough. You have to consider that players with a high level still often have tons of armor, which is a huge advantage.

TheOnlyGod, 49erfan7 and Black Widow like this.
  15. referee11

Well, I couldn't do anything in the games because I didn't get any weapon which really did over 50. If you max luck, you win now, almost certainly. So, in my perspective, we have three options:
    1) Max luck wins all, with little need for supporting elements.
    2) Max weapons, traction, and gun/armor win all, with little support from gun/armor or luck.
    3) We bomb everything we know, and actually make a unique system (because the tabs are apparently ludicrous, and I am not feeling the benefits of this new system).

16. Towel

I guess you should be happy then, if the option exists to get all the high tiered weapons you originally wanted. There's nothing wrong with making a 4th upgrade path viable. It adds to the balance of the game, giving more potential skill trees to choose from. You're going to have all but one tile maxed anyways once you have 1,000,000 XP, so it shouldn't be that much of a bother.

17. Credipede

It's ridiculous to say that a player with maxed out luck wins against everyone else. If you would have maxed luck, you would have a different upgrade tree which is not maxed out (if you didn't prestige), which makes you more balanced compared to a player with no luck. Also, there is still a chance that a player with maxed out luck will get the weak version of a weapon. And just as a note, maxed out luck won't help you much if you're Level 25.

In my opinion, right now the two best upgrade tree combinations would be Chassis + Gun + Luck (slow, with high damage and high defense) or Track + Gun + Luck (fast, with high damage and low defense). Still, that doesn't mean that luck is a guarantee of winning as a player with Chassis + Track + Gun (fast, with high defense and medium damage) may still win against a player with maxed out luck if he has better skill. However a completly new weapon system would be awesome as well, but the question is: How exactly would such a new weapon system perform? Would it be good? Would it be bad? How to make it better than the other two weapon systems?

18. Candor

Candor Forum Peasant Moderator

I don't think the luck can be very overpowering, It may get more/better weapons/boxes but the other attributes, especially crit will balance that out, most people think to max crit and track and armor, and leave luck because its the least needed one out of the four, the other three are way more crucial to winning.

I believe, for now, this system is probably way more balanced from the one we used to have, I mean, people were outraged by the imbalance and at least this new update helps a bit.

Dryykon likes this.
  19. Epic Ninja

Epic Ninja Private E-1 (2) Member

20. Amaterasu

Amaterasu Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

See my big thing about people saying it's worst now, makes no sense.

No matter what, it makes it more balanced. Reasons:
    • Luck is actually useful now
    • Because luck is useful, it takes away from other trees
    • Before it was as long as you got the "Set" of weapons, you could pick the highest tier. Now it's, even with max luck, you CAN get the highest tier, but must also have to use lower tier weapons.
    I would like to also note that.

Leveling weapons isn't useless AT ALL now. If anything it's better. As you're increasing the pool of high tier weapons you can get.

I would like to also say

I would sometimes play with xvio, but I would NEVER get his shield down to 0 if even half.

Today though, I was able to get his shield down AND half of his health because he wasn't able to use his MAX tier weapons. Though he still beat me, because he did still have a higher weapon pool with better weapons. So this way it makes it way more balanced, in my opinion at least.

TheOnlyGod, Towel and 49erfan7 like this.
  21. Holy2334

Holy2334 Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

Can someone tell me why putting both options in the game can't happen?

22. Credipede

I asked Kyle about this. He would have to balance both options to have the same XP, otherwise people will just play on one system (the one which gives more XP, which of course would be the "old" new one). It may happen that he adds it, it may happen that he doesn't add it. It's not "set in stone".

23. TheOnlyGod

TheOnlyGod Major (18) Former Moderator

The weapon system is probably the trickiest thing to get right in the game. In my opinion I think this weapon system is a positive change. It widens the skill gap allowing lower level players to stand a chance against higher level players. But still allowing higher level players to have no problem against lower level players if they can hit all their shots. I can see why many higher level players are outraged, getting many tier one weapons. I would suspect that many of these players have not touched their luck upgrades and as a result are finding it hard to get good weapons. I am only level 29 and do not know the probability of getting higher tier weapons but with no luck the chance of getting a tier one weapons should be about the same as getting a tier 4 and as luck is increases it should be about 75% to the tier 4 weapons. This system is still not perfect and I'm sure there will be many adjustments, but as a whole I believe this was good update.

24. Taylor

I hope future updates can some how make this enjoyable and actually feel right.

It just feels like something is missing, I just don't know what though ...

I feel as if I won't play the game as much cause it'll take longer then before and not just cause I'm an 82.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
    49erfan7 likes this.
  25. Nightwing

Nightwing Staff Sergeant (8) Member

Well maybe but this is my upgrade tree currently and it works pretty fantastic for me.... tank tree.jpg