1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please register or sign in to get full access to the forum.

ShellShock Live: ProMod

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Cartm4n, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Cartm4n

Cartm4n Private E-1 (2) Member

Hello to all of you.

I love the game and have an idea that I want to suggest for some time now... And I finally created account to post it.

I'm sure that lots of you remember COD 4 MW and its most successful mod: ProMod
    For you who do not know, this is a mod with no perks, no levels, no weapon attachments and such. Everyone is equal, has the same weapon choice and plays competitive and fair, based on pure skill and no one has advantage whatsoever.

Personally, I couldn't care less for levels, upgrades, gears and whatnot in this game.
    In SS I play Level Field and Level Field only. It's the closest it gets to fair and competitive play.
    So I thought that something like ProMod would be an great idea for SS. Why? Because it's the most fair and skill based game type.
    Here are my basic ideas and suggestions that I'm sure a lot of people will support. If this gets more interest we can and will discuss details.

--> No upgrades

--> No gears

--> No armor

--> No items

--> SINGLE SHOT only. Very important for tactics

--> Levels are not shown (this doesn't really affect the gameplay, but...)

--> Health crates could fall but rarely

--> 8 to 10 weapons MAX. Balanced and not OP weapons. Weapon choice in this game is just.... ridiculous. There is no way to master them all. I bet no one even wants to do that because there are too many of them.

--> Everyone starts with the same default set of weapons for this mod. Weapon sets do NOT change, you learn to play with those and master them.

WEAPONS are the most important part of this mod:
    They should be picked carefully. As I'm level 16, I do not have experience with most of the weapons, so I was hoping better and more experienced players could help with this one.

This si pretty much everything.

If you like the idea, please share it and spread it around. I really hope it will get enough attention to come true.

If you have more questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you for your time.

2. banna

banna ★The Sheriff★ Moderator

This mod already exists and called "level field" mod, people just hardly use it because it gives bad xp multiplier.

Penguin and Scarlet like this.
  3. Tavi

Tavi First Sergeant (11) Member

"There is no way to master them all"
    Uh, no, quite easy to master them all tbh.

Pretty much just named Level Field anyway.
    Want true skill-based matches? Play Marksman.

4. Cartm4n

Wow, you both missed the point and didn't even read the whole thing.

RumMumMario and Goomba like this.
  5. RumMumMario

RumMumMario Lieutenant General (23) Member

Actually, half of the weapons in this game are quite literally reskins or spinoff of other existing weapons. It's pretty easy. All in all, I've thought of this idea many times. Even though the game requires little to time to be great at it, this mod will be something.

...Only if the XP multiplier is not shit.

Tavi and Taylor like this.
  6. Cartm4n

Oh. As I said, I didn't yet get a chance to try a many of them. Just the number of weapons kind of "scared" me hah.

Nice to see some support :) after all, the game just started to rise

7. Tavi

I did read, thx.
    "Set Weapons"
    A decent thought that I had nothing against nor for and simply didn't comment on.

If you absolutely wish an in-depth response, fine.

Give everyone:
    -Battering Ram
    -Boomerang
    -Shadow
    -Sub-Sniper/Arrow
    -Torpedos
    -Creek/Blaze
    -Bouncy Ball*
    -Pinpoint
    -Glock (Or any gun-type weapon)
    -Desert**
    {Edit: -Hover Ball}

Could have it programmed to alternate sets. Randomized between a specific list of allowed weapons then everyone is given this set, or not.

Nothing overpowered, everyone gets 1 of each if I understand correctly, so better make them count.
    Weapons that require knowledge of the individual weapon and are actually worth 'mastering' as well as having no luck-based weapons (Chancer, Shooting Star, Molehill, Bees, Scavs, etc) or Auto-Aim weapons (Dead Weight, Smart Sniper, Fighter Jet, etc), with a few simple, normal trajectory weaps thrown in.
    Something legitimately requiring skill.

*it's not absolute luck and is the hardest weapon to master, but is absolutely master-able. Though I can see an argument against it and acknowledge this.
    **You want tactics, can be dirty af with this. Though perhaps too dirty?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  8. Cartm4n

Never said I want an in-depth response from you afterwards, but tnx for ideas.

9. MeowrPower

MeowrPower Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

I read it all and I agree with banna, you have basically named 'level field' only difference is you don't see level, so like using level field in a tournament .-.

I honestly do not like this idea cause one of the main things that people play for is the weapon variety, so only having a few that will always be picked isn't the best of ideas it will also mean people will get bored easier.

I know saying this I'm a high level but the thing is I have seen way more low level people join my games just to see a pile of powerful weapons rather than to have a fair 'pro' game.

Also another big flaw is that if it's always the same weapons and you don't have any trac, then you'll see stuff like, if you use such a weapon at x power and y angle you will hit the person turn 1 every time, and if it is anything that explodes then you are stuck in that hole all game cause no trac and no teleport/jet pack to get out. So it'll be a case of whomever goes first wins.

Taylor likes this.
  10. Tavi

No prob

I understand the point, remove chance so everything is purely skill-based. Would be perfect for tournaments imo. Force crates and x2 to not show up so chance is removed completely and a match can be truely competitive.

@meowy, If want chance/normal games then could always play the other game modes, this doesn't really stop that. Points made can be countered by what the set weapons are, which was one of their questions/points. Reason I gave the weapon list I did.
    Example: Use Shadow turn 1, hit near target, not 100% locked in. Turn 2, use your 1 Sniper with a chance of missing or alter angle to use Torp/Creek/Blaze etc, then the completely alternate trajectories of Boomer and Ram that you're required to use eventually, cant use same angle with these, same with a gun-type weap.
    Forcing everyone into changing trajector multiple times over the match.

One problem I do have with this, however, is a single set group of weapons makes it plausible to build a ruler for specifically this mode since there'd be 0 variety, allowing every shot to be marked no matter what weaps are chosen. (Force high wind? remove angle #'s?)

If made decently this could make way for an actual "Ranked" system to be added. Separate from normal matches. (Stars are.. kay, could be much, much better tho. Can't join friends for some silly matches without risking a large drop in stars from a simple, non-competitive match.)

My thoughts have changed since 1st comment. A truely competitive mode would be awesome, and this could build a path for that.
    Also makes leveling just an extra, for fun thing instead of pretty much the main point of playing. (Removing the point of xp farms. *Nudge nudge*)
    Edit: Honestly, if Ranked was added and level had no effect on it, xp doesn't matter. Could give 0x xp and I'd be fine with it.
    [Rant whatever over due to work, may add/edit more later. Thoughts on these points? ]

Tl;Dr - Uh.. just read, or move along.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  11. Cartm4n

Well that's why mods can be chosen. No one plays a mod that they don't want to... Each to their own :)

Actually a really good point. A couple of jet packs could be allowed to prevent this.

First of all I'm glad that you changed your mind.
    And another great point. Angles SHOULD be removed and I suggest wind would blow at random for every move, like on Worms. That was perfect.
    I agree with pretty much everything you wrote.

Keep the good ideas coming!

Tavi likes this.
  12. Penguin

Penguin Captain (17) Member

sorry but I don't see what is the difference btw what you suggested and lvl field mode,plz explain me.I have a mode suggestion as well and it would be more PRO because the mod you suggested isn't pro it is equal for everyone wich is different thing.

My suggestion for a Pro game modes

Unlock: win at least 200 times in that specific game mode

Marksman pro version: after the 8 turns the small target will grow back to the original size but there will be 1 new one,hit both if you want to live,this 2 will become small and if you reach turn 16 there will be 3 that will become small as well(not very very small cuz it would be impossible) targets spawn wouldnt be totaly random but would allow the player to hit em all.

Rebound pro version: your shots must hit 2 times to deal damage,more bumpers spawning(a minimum of 3 each turn)

Points pro version: do at least 50 pts every turn or you will die similar to marksman death.If you got weak weapons don't forget that there are boxes that give points,for example if you have dead riser you can shot it and take a crate so you would do 35 damage + points.Maybe each crate should give a minimum of 15 points so even weak weapons can be used.You have also to finish with 2500 points in a 30 turn game or,even if you has more points of your opponent,you still lose.

I think that this pro version must have achivements that aren't grindy like 90% of current SSL ones but have to prove the skill of the player,the rewards must be awsome
    achivements:

-eagle eye: reach 3 times round 20 in pro marksman mode
    reward: sniper madness: it is not a normal shot,because you have to shot 5 times!This weapon need extreme skill but can be extremly powerfull,each sniper shot does 40 damage far range and if you aimed all 5 rigth you are pro and you won for this.

-it's confusing: hit 10 times someone with a weapon that bounced on 5 different bumpers,the shot must do 30 damage so the extreme lucky galting gun shot will not count.
    Reward: weapon: rebounder: a normal weapon that does 30 damage medium blast range,everytime it bounce on a bumper it will do + 30 damage!Up to 5 times.Upgrade increase damage.

-no knock out,point victory!: reach 5 times 3500 points in points pro version,belive me it is possible.
    reward: weapon: Opportunist: a normal weapon that does 60 damage,but when you hit a crate you get x3 times the normal amount of points and armor

sorry i know this 3 weapons wouldn't come cuz them don't do straigth damage and originality is banned from SSL,and yhea kyle wouldn't even read this xd

Taylor, Tavi and Goomba like this.
  13. Tavi

Equal terms; nothing based off luck.
    Play based soley on skill. If you make a mistake it's your fault, not your weapon's. If you lose, no one to blame but yourself.

Level Field just shortens the list of usable weaps and removes stats, doesn't remove luck-based weaps nor allow equal ground by everyone given the exact same weapons.

14. Penguin

it is still not pro in my point of view,even a lvl 10 and 30 could play that mode.Maybe it is just me.However thx for explanation

Tavi likes this.
  15. Tavi

And if they're better than you skill-wise, they'll win.
    Currently there's no way for such a level to win vs higher levels. With this, level doesn't matter. (As it shouldn't)
    Your defining 'pro' the wrong way in this situation tbh.

16. Cartm4n

Couldn't agree more. Straight to the point...

The term PRO doesn't really matter, that's just the name of the mod that made COD4 a competitive masterpiece. What matters is that everyone is equal. For example, a player that is level 5 could beat a level 80 player if he's more skilled and has better tactics. Because both have the same HP and weapons. No armor or ANY additional items or such.

Tavi likes this.
  17. Penguin

well to do at least 2500 points in a 30 turn + everytime do 50 you have to be pro,even with lvl 90 weapons in really hard,even for marksman hitting 2 or 3 stargets isn't that easy if you manage to do that you are pro in my point of view,same for rebound i think both definition of pro are rigth

note: No one explained me,you want this mode changing by lvl field so you are able to choose weapons?If yes NO that would be bad,SSL is variety and yes you also have to use weapons that sucks but if you and you enemy has both that is rigth then.Guys lvl field is already Pro mode (for what you mean with pro)so I don't understand that thread

ps: for your info and culture: lvl field give to all the same weapons but did you know that ALL the weapons given are weapons that are owned even by the lowest lvl in the game?If there is a lvl 1 you won't get any other weapon unlocked with lvl up so this is already the fairest mode ever

here the reason why i don't get this thread

like you see i'm figthing with a lvl 39 in lvl field mode and look:
    upload_2016-7-2_11-22-57.png
    my weapons
    upload_2016-7-2_11-23-17.png
    Most if not all this weapon are unlocked by a lvl 39 so it actually give to everybody weapons that EVERYBODY can use what do you want more?it is fair and that is it

if there is no way to master weapons all the weapons that YOU UNLOCKED WITH TIME then you desserve to lose cause average IQ people can do that with no prob,you should have problems just with first 3 lvls after unlocking quick sand wich is the only weapon a bit harder to use,all other ones are really similar each other

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
    Tavi likes this.
  18. Tavi

Everything you said is based on luck. Doing 50 damage depends soley on what weapon the game decides to give you, if you're given a Shot, well Rip no matter what you do or how skilled you are.
    I don't know how to explain it better than "Removes luck factor"
    Yes, this game is about variety, so are a lot of games and this does nothing to damage that, there's several other modes to play.
    Currently there is no way to accurately show if someone is more skilled than someone else. Therefore, there's no competition and no way to judge it. Everything is for funsies, which just becomes repetitive after awhile. Nothing to strive for. This game has ability to have a competitive side, why not push for it?

"Choose weapons"
    Not exactly, the point is to have a set list of weapons that everyone is using, and is required to use.
    No "my weaps suck" or "my weaps are great" factor, everyone has the same set-up.
    Level Field is still luck based, just luck based with low-tier weapons and an unleveled tank. (ex. 3 diggers vs 3 shots and a twinkler. Luck.)

19. Penguin

upload_2016-7-2_11-45-52.png
    upload_2016-7-2_11-47-2.png
    upload_2016-7-2_11-50-12.png
    upload_2016-7-2_11-48-38.png

you get the same weapons and all weapons are unlocked by the lowest lvl so he knows the weapons, lvl field is already fine how it is it just CAN'T be more fair than this.(just need x4 xp)
    If this thread is closed that wouldn't be a bad thing

(in my example before he had same weapons,he used bolt and sniper 2 weapons that i have so plz admit that you were wrong and didn't even knew the game mode and still reply/made a thread)

Tavi likes this.
  20. Tavi

Point out the one part I don't go overkill 110% explain..
    It's important which weapons those are. For example, low tiers can still get things like Clover or the like (luck-based weaps) and aim-assist weaps (Roller, dead weight).
    Level Field is heading in the right direction. It's absolutely not there yet though.

21. Penguin

there are only 5 weapons that are luck based in the game........only 5 remove em and that's it and how the hell roller is unfair weapon?
    You will alaways find a way to prove you have reason so it is useless for me to post here

LAST THOUGHT: LVL FIELD IS FAIR MODE YOU GET ALL SAME WEAPONS UPGRADE ECC. ALL WEAPONS ARE OWNED AND UNLOCKED BY EVERYONE AND THERE ARE ONLY 5 WEAPONS THAT ARE PURE LUCK BASED,REMOVE'EM AND YOU ARE FINE.LVL FIELD IS FAIR MODE YOU PROBABLY DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW IT WORKS.........................

tavi: do you know that you get SAME EXACT WEAPONS?cause from your reply it looks like you don't know.........

Tavi likes this.
  22. Tavi

Full luck: Clover, Shooting Star, Moons(shot high), Spaz (blank on the others atm)
    That isn't the only type of luck though.

Semi-luck: Guppies, Rapid Fire, Synclets, Area Strike, Excavation, Pinata, Bees, Travelers, Water Balloon, Tadpoles, Moons(shot low), Rain, Popcorn, Needler, Volcano, Grenade Storm, Deciever, Asteroid Storm, 2012, Fireworks, Snake.. can continue going if I had a weapon list with me.
    Basically, what can you guarantee will do a specific damage or arc and what can you not.

Also, the point of Roller was auto-aim/requires 0 skill. Just a bonus I believe should be removed for a mode like this. That's moreso personal preference, though it's a justified preference.

23. Penguin

moons isn't luck based and you can't really put needler rapid fire guppies tadpoles popcorn as luck based,agree with others so it would be like 10 weaps to remove but i stand on my point just remove those 10 weaps and you are done.Choosing weapon isn't needed

Tavi likes this.
  24. Tavi

Ever had Guppies in Marksman? They all follow a similar reasoning.

25. Penguin

Yhea in marksman it is luck based infact i never use this weapons when target is too small,I was talking in deathmatch terms.The truth is that for each game mode the lvlfield should be different but would need to much work looking how things are going on in SSL.

Tavi likes this.