1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please register or sign in to get full access to the forum.

Sometimes the better way is not about opinion.

Discussion in 'Talk Area' started by IrisHeart, Jun 2, 2016.

?

Do you Agree with what I've said?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. IrisHeart

IrisHeart Private First Class (4) Member

Okay. So recently I got a little bit miffed because I pointed out a blatant misuse of a card in "%100 Orange juice" and I was told " There is no best way to play, everyone has their own opinion". While I agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and their is no such thing as a right opinion, I disagree that it is a matter of opinion in this context. The whole "There is no best way or answer" only applies to variables that are dependent on emotion, for example the best way to live your life is completely dependent on your emotions and thus a matter of opinion, but when variables involve the logic and practicality of something it is NOT a matter of opinion, for example you would not give a person suffering migraines medicine for constipation then tell them "there is no best way to cure it, it's just a matter of opinion". Some people claim that there is no best way to play a game, but that's only because of lack of concrete evidence to there being a best way so they resort to being mentally lazy and claiming the best way is "a matter of opinion". Of course there are exceptions to this where different ways of playing a game produce equally positive results, but none the less there are ways that produce lesser outcomes and it isn't a matter of opinion that it isn't a less effective way of playing.

This guy actually gets it.

NOTE: I FORGOT THE "S" AFTER SOMETIMES

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  2. referee11

referee11 First Lieutenant (16) Member

Well, people use that answer because it's convenient. However, it is the right response most of the time.
    For this example, the law is involved. The law is technically set in stone through laws and amendments, but in reality, law is opinion. There have been court cases for this exact thing. Sometimes they won, sometimes they didn't based on what was found in the drink. As factual as trials, especially ones like this, can be, the judge/jury still use their opinions from what they saw to make a conclusion.
    Well, this is because everyone's body is different. If you are talking with a friend and don't know allergy history or other medical information of that person, you can't be sure what they can and can't take. This is actually correct, but you have to add "...from your doctor" at the end. Again, not all doctors are the same. That's why I personally have multiple doctors. If I am ever in a medical emergency, I want more than one viewpoint on what I should do.
    Fun Fact: Everything doctors tell you to do is opinion. Informed opinion, but still opinion. You could not do what they say and still recover. Or not. Just always better to go with them.
    This occurs because there are multiple ways to play a game. I'm going to use diep.io as an example because it's easy. In diep.io you have two varying sets of upgrades: Generic Upgrades and Tank Upgrades. Generic Upgrades are things like health, damage, speed, etc. Tank Upgrades transform your tank into something more than just a one-nozzle one-projectile shooter. You might ask me what I upgrade for. I tell you "I would go for Octotank with emphasis on health, damage, and speed." You try it out, but that really doesn't work too well for you. You find that being an Overseer with emphasis on penetration and body damage works better for you. That's why it's an opinion in games. There are more ways than one to play. What works for you might not work for someone else. Thus, saying what lineup is best is an opinion. Unless the game is realllllly linear and there is only one way you could possibly play it without any differences (which is like way under <1% of the gaming market right now), that's the right response.

Opinions don't have to be based on emotions. An opinion is just something that isn't set in as fact. I hope I made my point clear enough.

For the lolz, I just wanted to put the official definition of opinion here.

Opinion
    n. a belief, judgment, or way of thinking about something : what someone thinks about a particular thing

Everything I wrote was based off of this definition, as provided by the Merriam-Webster dictionary.

3. IrisHeart

As I said before there are different ways of playing a game to get equally positive results. There are still styles of playing that produce less than par results, you can hold an opinion that it's the most effective, efficient, or logical way of playing the game but it simply is not true.

Yes different doctors will tell you different things. Not all doctors will tell you the same thing. Don't forget that I did acknowledge that there are different ways to get an equally positive result, I never said everything solution is completely linear. Okay maybe the confusion was in that I said "Best way", let me correct myself "Best ways". "There are no best ways to (insert whatever), it's all a matter of opinion", is like saying doctor telling me to bash my skull on a rock after I said I had cancer is equally as effective as an actual cancer treatment.

It's as if you completely ignored my last sentence though.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  4. referee11

I intentionally disregarded that last sentence. Most times, the only games which aren't balanced to the point where there are multiple ways to win are poorly constructed games. An example (sorta) is Terraria. It has sort of good balance, but Mage is way worse than Range or Melee, but it is still possible to win the game with it. I really don't know what game you'd be referring to which doesn't have multiple ways to win and lacks all choice. Even if there is one choice, one, it becomes opinion. Normally, you'd get at least a different cutscene if you made a choice. Then, you can say "I think the game is better when you chose b) because there are massive explosions and it's super cool.", and that is an opinion. So, I really don't know what game would fit the "normal" description, since the games with choice are apparently outliers.
    When this is said within context, the bashing the rock on your head is considered to not be an option. There is more than one type of cancer, and more than one way to really treat most of those cancers. If you're talking to a friend, how are they supposed to know which one is best? People react differently to everything. They can't say one is better because they don't even know what's going on, but "I don't know" doesn't work, either. Why? If you are on an island with that person and all the methods for treatment are there, but you are sick and on the verge of death, "I don't know" isn't a valid answer. Even in a non-hyperbolic sense, "I don't know" isn't an answer that works. If the person is a doctor, which your statement implies, there is even less from for "I don't know". I'm your patient, give me something. "I don't know, good luck" isn't gonna help me at all. Besides, doctors exist so that "I don't know" doesn't exist in a situation like that. The doctor will know, but an average person won't. It's an opinion. It's one of the few things us humans do right in terms of grammar: opinion vs fact.

5. Tavi

Tavi First Sergeant (11) Member

Best way to play a Medic is offensively on the front lines.
    Best placement of a turret is behind a wall where it has no line of sight to anything.
    Best way to throw a grenade is towards your teammates.
    Best person to rely on is a gambler.
    Best way to golf is with a putter 24/7.
    Best way to rage is to politely slap people.
    Best way to play ToS is to randomly click buttons and disregard chat.
    Best way to play Rocket League is to always chase the ball.
    Best way to Chess is to send King to frontlines.
    Best way to determine the correct choice in any situation is to argue loudly and infer about one's mother.

Not everything is opinions and facts. ))

IrisHeart likes this.
  6. referee11

In my view, these are all opinions. I'll go one-by-one.
    The first three are opinions. These are all things trolls commonly do. Obviously, they find enjoyment from it. If they have more fun doing that than playing the game the normal way, it is an opinion. It is a different belief in how to play the game.
    Relying on a gambler is an opinion. If you're a gambler or have friends who became gamblers, a person could think that gamblers are reliable. Thus, it's an opinion.
    Playing with a putter is an opinion. It is possible that a person might be bad with irons and whatnot, but they might be pro with putters. Even if they aren't, if they find more enjoyment playing golf with the putter than traditional methods, it becomes an opinion.
    The slapping one could be someone who is mad, but doesn't want to hurt people too bad. In that case, that would be an opinion. They think that's the best way to do it.
    I'm not sure what ToS is, but I'm just going to say it fits in with the first three mentioned.
    Hey, I like to chase the ball in Rocket League. ;_; I find it more enjoyable because my computer is trash and I can't do multiplayer. If you don't chase the ball against AIs, you can get stuck on loops. In my opinion, it is the best way to play for what I can do. Would probably do it in multiplayer anyways.
    Sending the King to the frontlines is an opinion. If you don't like chess and you want to win it ASAP, you do that. Thus, it is a different viewpoint of playing the game.
    As for the last one, people actually do that, a lot. It's a different viewpoint on how to interact.

Why are these opinions? According to the definition of opinion I provided in a post or two ago, simply a contradiction in something results in opinions; Side A and Side B. As part of Side A, you may think something is true, but if you look at Side B, you may see they think that that is false. You can fit in any of these in this formula.
    EX: Side A thinks the best thing to do is to not rely on a gambler, while Side B thinks the best thing to do is to rely on a gambler.
    It doesn't matter how large Side A or B is. If there is one disagreement, one contradiction, it becomes opinion. How stupid or nonsensical something is to one side is irrelevant. If there is that person who believes in something else, it becomes opinion. In society, it's important to look on multiple sides of an issue and see what both have to say. If you don't, you could be brainwashed by the side and manipulated into doing things you might not do. North Korea is an example of that. They only get North Korean news and everything is regulated by the government. For this reason, it's important to know these are opinions, and not states of fact or just garbage to toss away.

7. Candor

Candor Forum Peasant Moderator

There aren't many things that aren't subjective.

referee11 likes this.
  8. Tavi

That moment someone puts a lot of thought into a reply to your randomness comment.

I don't think that shooting a nuke at my foot is smart, fun, or a good idea. Yet I do it. Fact is it was a poor idea indeed. What I did is an opinion?

9. Candor

Ask the guy who made a teamkilling clan...

jpcas likes this.
  10. MeowrPower

MeowrPower Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

@Google567 called it :p

Peoples opinions are peoples opinions, everyone will find a way to argue if it's there, especially if you point out something obvious that makes them wrong. Peoples opinions give life to the internet however good, bad, idiotic or learned.

So in my opinion, let people believe what they want, smart people will be smart the dumb people will be dumb

I had a point with this originally but meh it is what it is o.o

Tavi, Taylor and Candor like this.
  11. Candor

12. IrisHeart

"Of course there are exceptions to this where different ways of playing a game produce equally positive results, but none the less there are ways that produce lesser outcomes and it isn't a matter of opinion that it isn't a less effective way of playing."

Referee, You are continually agreeing with this statement, yet continually ignoring it and even interpreting it as the exact opposite of what it is,

13. IrisHeart

I'd love to play OJ with ya sometime.

Candor likes this.
  14. referee11

The thing which makes me disregard is the "exceptions" part. Games which have choice are not exceptions. If there's any choice, the best way to play is an opinion. If there is any way to play differently, like that team killing clan in SSLS, the best way to play becomes an opinion. Games without choice are games that fail. If you could give me some games that you consider not exceptions (normal), that'd be awesome.
    Lesser outcomes for choices matter none. If a person likes the lesser outcomes, it's still an opinion. If there is an awesome death cutscene in a game, but the rest of the game is trash, you'd obviously try to get that cutscene as much as possible through any means.

15. Tavi

If a person dislikes the lesser outcomes and knows it's not the best option but chooses the lesser outcome option nonetheless then states it's the best way, knowing full well that it is not.

_____
    Sure, 'Best' is subjective, but when your target is a specific outcome (let's say victory) then shooting your own teammate will not lead to that outcome (specific, niche circumstances where it will.. blahblahblah.. we're not talking about these circumstances atm). Fact.
    The best way to >Win< isn't with choices that push for certain defeat. Fact.

'Nupe, it's opinion <insert story on how it's opinion>'

Maybe this statement? The most enjoyable way isn't necessarily the best way.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    IrisHeart likes this.
  16. referee11

I disagree. For that person, the "worse" outcome might be the better one for them personally. They have different objectives than you or other people who agree with you. Trolls in games exist because their goal is to be a hinderance to the team. That's their goal. It's a different way of playing than the commonly accepted methods, but you have to accept some people will prefer to play that way. Hackers are slightly different. Hackers have the same goal in mind (most times) as the common person who plays, but they want victory to be as easy as possible. It's their preference to play with cheats.
    This falls into what I wrote above. That person's goal is different from yours. While you may not reach your goal because of that person, that person will reach their goal. Conflicting goals or beliefs are exactly what opinions are. You may not be happy that your goal has not been reached due to that person, but they're probably laughing like there's no tomorrow.
    'Tis my job in life.

17. Tavi

Since you're kinda ignoring my point, what if I reword it to how it was meant to be interpreted...

If I dislike the lesser outcomes and know it's not the best option but I choose the lesser outcome option nonetheless (100% negative results, nothing better in any way. Not amusing, not funny, not positive for me. Point here is absolute certainty. No 'maybe it was better for me,' it wasn't.) then I state it's the best way, knowing full well that it's not. I bloody well know it's not the best option, yet I said it was. It's not even my actual opinion, just words. We're not talking about anyone else or their objectives or goals, we're talking about what I chose. No mights or maybes, no conflicts in personal opinion, it was all me.

It's still my opinion that it was indeed the best option?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  18. Candor

Let's close this thread before it becomes an argument lol...

19. IrisHeart

Yes we define success in different ways, but let's say I define success as doing the most damage possible to my team and I think shooting off the map is the best way to do this, undeniably that would not be the best way and you cannot simply say that it is the best way if I define it that way, because damage is objective.

Tavi likes this.
  20. Tavi

A mature discussion is not an argument.

21. IrisHeart

It's a debate. It only becomes an argument when personal attacks start being thrown.