1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please register or sign in to get full access to the forum.

Steam discussions need moderators

Discussion in 'General Game Talk' started by Watermelob, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Watermelob

Watermelob Private E-2 (3) Member

Because there are a lot of threads like "the price is too high" or "this game is a copy of pocket tanks/scorched earth". It would be great if there were rules to stop these threads. http://steamcommunity.com/app/326460/discussions/0/611701360832601985/ There are 6 price complaints and 7 comparations to other games. Also there are 2 threads made to stop people from posting even more repeated threads, but I don't think they will completely stop that.

2. Mallard King

Mallard King Corporal (5) Member

Ahh the steam community at its finest, yeah i agree there should be some mods or something on the steam discussions as this it gonna be happening a lot for a long time. Though i do feel kyle needs the interact with the steam community more as now this is not the only community hub for SSL.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    Towel and Taylor like this.
  3. Towel

Towel look mom i have a custom title Former Moderator

[​IMG]

I mean, he's not wrong.

arvidh, 15Galaxy15, Awesume and 2 others like this.
  4. Staple

Staple General of the Army (25) Member

are people not entitled to their opinions

[​IMG]

this dude here is perfectly logical and, more or less, correct

5. referee11

referee11 First Lieutenant (16) Member

Ehhhh, I go both ways on this.
    1) I'm for mods. There are SOOO many threads asking the same question, or having the same concern. People should read through the discussions BEFORE they post, like we do here (mostly). That is just common sense for a forum, which shows most Steamers haven't been in forums before. A mod could combine the threads, and make it, well, less repetitive.
    2) I'm against mods. It is true people should read the discussions before a new thread is posted. However, if this were to occur, no repetitive threads would be made, and the need for mods would be far less.
    So, basically, if people actually use common forum protocol, we could advance by without the need for mods. But, if they don't, bring em in to combine threads. May I be clear, no post should be deleted. Just threads need to be combined.

6. Towel

It doesn't need mods, it needs and official word from Kyle himself stickied regarding those concerns.

RumMumMario and Staple like this.
  7. referee11

Oh, trust me, it will go FAR beyond that. Because people don't view the discussions before they make a question, they'd never see it.
    Also, check out the official Terraria forums. All of the questions there have been formerly answered by Reddit, like, 2 months ago, and they STILL get repetitive questions which were answered before. It all starts with viewing the discussions before you make one.

8. Staple

and then you realize you only have 1 game on steam, i have 30+, and towwl has 180

Batgirl likes this.
  9. referee11

How does this prove that other people look at discussions before they post? This is a universal problem for all forums, Steam or not.

jgalloway64 likes this.
  10. RumMumMario

RumMumMario Lieutenant General (23) Member

You're overreacting with this. What's the matter? Is it that horrifying and catastrophic to have people complain/compare with other games?
    Nonetheless, games, or any things can't get any better without criticism.

Comparing one game to another isn't even a bad thing anyway, I'd hate to say this but please quit being an obstinate fanboy, please.

Staple and cacadun like this.
  11. cacadun

cacadun Unconfirmed Member

I said this to him long time ago, and he understood it like an insult.. But yea..
    Should we turn off negative reviews, I mean they only harm the popularity of the game?!

12. Nightwing

Nightwing Staff Sergeant (8) Member

so your solution is to fight fire with fire? Wouldve been more effective to pm a moderator.

13. referee11

Once again, I'm not complaining about criticism. I just don't like there are 30 threads saying the same question. If a mod came and combined the threads, it would at least make the discussions not look like a total trashpile. I don't even want posts deleted, I just want them combined. Then, if for some reason I ever wanna view those threads, it would be an easier tooltip. Maybe they could be inserted into a folder or something, idk, but something's gotta be done.
    Also, the posts above were about viewing discussions before you post so we wouldn't be here in the first place. Still nothing about criticism up there.

14. Staple

the problem is kchamp isnt responding to the community forums and giving them the answer they need and want. meanwhile, you and watermelob are trying to be representatives here, instead, youre making yourselves look pretty stupid and giving the game a bad rap. no one appointed you as the moderator of the steam forums, so please, just stop. they do have some valid point. if you werent a complete fanboy with just 1 game on steam then maybe, then maybe, just maybe, we wont have this problem

again, i blame your inexperience with steam and your blind devotion

/rant over

15. Towel

People aren't going to read a READ THIS BEFORE POSTING post by a random person with absolutely not authority or knowledge of the game behind the scenes. People on the Steam forums likely aren't going to go all the way over to Reddit to check for an answer before asking their question. People are likely to read a READ THIS BEFORE POSTING post from the developer himself.

RumMumMario likes this.
  16. Hellbound_Ksu

Hellbound_Ksu Private E-1 (2) Member

Why don't you just set it so only moderators can create and comment on threads? I have been on steam enough to know that you can do that, so why not do that for a few days, and shock the spammers for a few days.

Don't yell at me, just trying to help.

17. Towel

That's censorship. That's a bad idea.

18. Hellbound_Ksu

Yes,
    But what if it works? I'm just throwing ideas, you dont have to use them.

19. Penguin

Penguin Captain (17) Member

don t know when peoples will realize that a game cost money,or better i don t know how much it cost make a game like ssl but i think 15 it s a correct price beacause kyle worked very much on this game and he is still working (and however i think it doesn t have only a time cost),i also saw other prices of steam games and some games cost more than 100 dollars!But like many of you said kyle should do a message for steam players(i would probably say stfu if i were in him xD)obviously i mean he would be more active and talk with players to make a positive enviroment.however i prefer 1000 times pay sistem of ssl steam than ssl2,i think i(and many other peoples) spent much more than 15 dollars in tc

20. Hellbound_Ksu

It doesn't take much to make a game if you are a lone programmer, just the cost to make the engine (If its the first game, it will cost, but if the second, not much needs to be changed) but the main cost is TIME. Its his choice for price, but if he had to take time from work, and he is using his money to pay for bills, he needs to make the price just high enough to have some profit.

21. Staple

no this is not worth 15 dollars, its only worth 15 for fanatics like some of the people on the forums
    if the game is good enough to be worth 15 dollars and is as good as some other games can be for 15, then it can be worth that much. as it is, its not, at least not for me

22. Hellbound_Ksu

Yeah, i'm not trying to disrespect the game but I actually think it should be F2P expect unless players want to become premium, which then they could pay a small fee, as a way to make revenue.

23. RumMumMario

RumMumMario Lieutenant General (23) Member

Are you trying to suggest a micro transaction system to be implemented? Because if you are, I'll let you know that the game will die, and shall stay trapped in the world of flash games without any hopes of advancement.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The game costs money. You don't say?

It is a common sense that everyone must work hard and spend money/take risk in order to sell things. Regardless of his effort, regardless of how hard it was to make the game, if the quality sucks then too bad for ya.
    We all know he deserves some cash considering he's developed this game by himself, including graphics. But that doesn't mean it's guaranteed that the game will be fascinating for everyone. It's a competitive business especially for an unoriginal game like this, and some people here don't seem to understand that. There are many other games with the same price, with much better quality, with much more effort put into it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're having a hard time understanding what I'm trying to say, it's like selling movie tickets. Yeah, action/CGI movies normally cost around $300,000,000 which is like trillion times more than what kChamp has spent on such a bitty-tiny game. But hey, have you ever seen a movie ticket that costed $50? No, because nobody in the right mind would spend that much money on a movie, when there are other great movies with great actors that cost $7.

But us fans buy it because we love the way the director made that movie so we get this illusion: the game is perfectly worth the price.

To be honest, if you're - including the fanboys around here - still going to write sh*t and continue overly protecting the game, I don't think you should even be on Steam or participate in such threads. It's pointless and idiotic, I can't even believe I'm writing a wall-of-text for someone who never gets it.

24. muffinasdf

muffinasdf Master Sergeant (10) Member

omg you scare me with that comment if there was not negative reviews about a game how would anyone know how good or bad it is? o.o
    H1Z1 it is loaded with hackers at the moment how would anyone know how the game is? o_O
    to this game it might be a good idea because it's a work in progress and some people are impatient and that's a shame but it's pre-release so most people will ignore them

Hellbound_Ksu likes this.
  25. Mallard King

Mallard King Corporal (5) Member

Honest i feel a lot of people purposely remain ignorant to the glaring issues surrounding the game or are just unwilling to voice their critique due to the massive backlash awaiting any opinion that does not match everyone else. people are so quick to defend kchamp with the usual arguments of "this game is early acess" or "kchamp is only one person" but would this thread even exist if Kchamp had the PR skills to regularly interact with both this community and the steam community and address our concerns especially for the type of game this is? Absolutely not, yes I do understand he is one person and he is very busy with development and such but that does not excuse the many different responsibility's that come with selling a product. If he cannot make time to do such things he clearly started selling his product much to early to begin with. Being a early access game does not excuse the game from other peoples critique as at the end of the day we are still being charged money for a product and people are gonna question if this one product out of the hundreds of steam games is worth the money.