1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please register or sign in to get full access to the forum.

The Firing Range Needs More

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jbalwin, May 10, 2016.

1. jbalwin

jbalwin Corporal (5) Member

Am I the only one who will be playing and thinks of this insane scenario that would never happen in game but that I still wanna try my weapons with? Maybe it is just me and my crazy mind, but it seems like everyday I'll think of a certain bumper arrangement or portal formation or even just what certain weapons would look like without being obstructed by the ground just for curiosity's sake that I am dying to try out and see how it would act. I feel like we could implement tons of different ways to alter the firing range to make this a reality.

1. Ability to place bumpers and portals freely

Features:
    • Select bumper/portal size (and curve for bumpers)
    • Be able to move these around with your mouse
    • Place them into custom places to just play around with honestly
    • [Optional] Get rid of the limit of times that a shot can bounce off the bumper (or travel through the portals)
    How this could help
    • Allow players like me to make fun contraptions with the bumpers to see what kind of skill shots can be pulled off
    • Make it so lower level players can test and practice with bumpers/portals for regular games
    • Encourage people to use bumpers/portals in game
    2. Ability to customize the map to test weapons

Features:
    • Let you browse through every weapon in the game rather than just the ones you've unlocked and test them out
    • See how different weapons reacts in different environments of the map (holes, hills, peaks, tunnels, etc.)
    How this could help
    • Encourage players to keep playing to unlock the weapons they test out in the range
    • Help players understand weapons they still don't know how to use
    • Allow players to practice in certain environments and terrain alterations for regular games
    Finally, why we would ever need anything like this in the firing range.

Firing ranges are intended to help players practice and test out weapons they need help or clarification with. While the one that is in place now partly does the job of letting people test weapons, I feel as if it never really helps with practicing or actually understanding these weapons to their full potential. With the ability to change bumpers, portals, terrain, and basics of the map, people would be able to really get to know the weapons for what they are and get to know the game for what it is. While this option doesn't seem very helpful for us higher levels like it would be for newcomers, we can still have fun with it. Imagine the possibilities of different bumpers/portals skill shots we could be able to pull off in the range that we could pull out into the games themselves. Think of the faces that people would make watching you making this across map triple bumper through the portal skill shots!

With all of this said, I feel as if the firing range needs to be expanded into so much more to allow the new players and even old players to learn new things about the game that they never knew before and get better at overall performance

2. Taylor

Taylor Brigadier General (21) Former Moderator

Great post, I like a some your points.
    A more functional firing range would be nice as many don't even know it's there.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  3. paul1999

paul1999 Master Sergeant (10) Member

I agree with almost all of your points. All but the point about being able to use weapons that you haven't unlocked yet. I disagree with this. The point of the game is to get those weapons (for most people, for me and high level players it's for the scoreboard). If they get to use the weapons they're trying to unlock, that nulls a lot of charm in the game. The reason behind a game is to unlock things. Especially in THIS kind of game. You shouldn't be allowed to use a weapon you haven't unlocked yet... It honestly just makes no sense to me. I can't really explain it because I'm dead tired but maybe tomorrow I could go in depth. If anyone supports this ya well you support it good job

Penguin, Awesume and Tavi like this.
  4. RumMumMario

RumMumMario Lieutenant General (23) Member

We could definitely elaborate with some of your points and make Steam Workshop for ShellShock Live. Custom missions is good to begin with, and perhaps weapons or tanks/maps once it gets active.

xXTacocubesXx likes this.
  5. jbalwin

Honestly when it comes to using locked weapons, I don't really have a major opinion about it because I've already seen what they all do and have used them in game even if I haven't unlocked them; therefore, I don't really have a stance on it. All I was thinking was that maybe if we show people a sneak peak of the weapons. it'll encourage them to play more and want to actually unlock them, but yes, I completely agree with the fact that a lot of the charm in the game involves being able to finally use certain high level weapons.

6. Tavi

Tavi First Sergeant (11) Member

Some luck with crates is good enough on that point tbh.
    Rest of points I've wanted since bumpers 1st came to ssl2. So many +1's from me~

7. Scarlet

Scarlet Private E-1 (2) Member

I have a bit to add to this post.
    I think that when using weapons meant to hit multiple targets, the firing range doesn't help at all in practicing the best way of using them. Therefore if we were able to chose to have multiple enemy targets (up to 7 max) then that would help with multiple target practice.
    Also x2 would be cool but not really important.

Tavi likes this.
  8. Penguin

Penguin Captain (17) Member

agree,just agree.Excaept for the unlock every weapon,a low lvl have already chance to see all weapons,he just need to play some games with an high lvl(thing that every lvl probably done a bunch of times) for the rest i'm agree.
    note: add x2 too,i know it's useles but at least I would be the BEST AND STRONGEST somewhere,even if it is a free area with no enemy xD however it would be good to pratice taking x2 and hitting your enemy testing new ways to shot

Optimus Prime likes this.
  9. jbalwin

I really glad this post is getting so much support! I never thought people would agree more! Thank you guys. Hopefully we'll sees these features added soon.

10. Soundless

Soundless Corporal (5) Member

Literally, if you didn't think of this, or at least bring it up, I would've done it, but you had way more ideas and probably put alot more effort into it than I could've. Glad you did, cause I would not have been able to think of the few things that would make the firing range something people WANT to go to. I support this in full, other than letting people use all the weapons. xD

Tavi and Taylor like this.