1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please register or sign in to get full access to the forum.

Tournaments Progress

Discussion in 'Announcements & Updates' started by kChamp, Dec 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kChamp

kChamp Developer Developer

It's been a while since I checked in here. Just wanted to update you all that tournaments are coming along smoothly. Here's a preliminary image of a generated bracket:

[​IMG]

I anticipate completing this monster of a project in a couple weeks.

Back to work!

2. Holy2334

Holy2334 Sergeant Major of the Army (14) Member

I like this. Keep up the good work Kyle! :D

3. MeowrPower

MeowrPower Sergeant Major of the Army (14) Member

Now to get 16 people online at once..... >.>

4. Batgirl

Batgirl Major General (22) Member

What we need is auto-disqualification for inactive maybe for 48 hours local time of the player and forfeit button for the tournament

5. Candor

Candor Forum Peasant Moderator

Round robin would, and should be an alternative option as well, not only because you can start them with less people but it also is a more well rounded competition, mainly due to the fact that everyone faces everyone, and someone can not win due to a good stride.

theorem and Google567 like this.
  6. RumMumMario

RumMumMario General of the Army (25) Member

Just give everyone in SSL2 a copy already. People that are Lv20+ are obviously going to accept the offer and is a guarantee that they will at least launch the game.

Giving away copies one by one does nothing. We need a vast, instant giveaway done in a short period of time.

I understand that you will be losing money by doing this and it sucks to have to do this after spending millions of hours working on a game but at this point there is no hope in our sight. Sometimes sacrifices pay off as double.

Hells Fury likes this.
  7. Mr Synikal

Mr Synikal Sergeant Major of the Army (14) Member

Agreed. I would support anything to get the game back in action. Kyle has to focus on this immensely or all this effort of his will be a complete fail.

RumMumMario and SubZero like this.
  8. Google567

Google567 Trolls Beware ^o^ Former Moderator

Will be nice to have more than 1 vs 1 eventually cause it can get pretty boring with just that.
    Aside from that it will all be determined on 1 game I'm assuming and whatever weapons/crit luck you get. So more variety and options to different tournament setups could please everyone in terms of each users preferences. Of course having worth while rewards would be nice to have eventually as well.

Great work Kyle and nice to see progress.

I'm totally behind Candor's Idea cause that would be more fair for everyone involved(at least in a 1 vs 1 setup). Best out of 3's too would work well too cause it did in many of Dec's tournaments, cause anyone can have a lucky game.

9. SubZero

SubZero Master Sergeant (10) Member

Would be great if there was diffrent size's of tournaments, and diffrent gear wagers or prizes for the winner. Would also be great if you could host your own with diffrent option such as bounder, portal, and x2 spawn rates, level diffrence and unlocked weapon tiers. Might work better after there is more active players. Glad to see you're alive and busy tho Kyle.

10. Mr Synikal

So far, it seems that this tournament system isn't going to be clan focused unless there is a Clan Mode. Bracket competition is a good idea but if there aren't any modes or filters considered, it looks like this could be a free-for-all tournament for just anyone to join. Something that I wouldn't want to see solely as the only one way to use the system. Rather than being defeated or victorious with any random player, I'd like to see an emphasis on clan competition as well with a Clan Mode. A tracking system of clan defeats or victories would also be a great feature.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    SubZero, Candor and Hells Fury like this.
  11. kChamp

kChamp Developer Developer

Because it's a significant amount of work, the first release of tournaments will be solely 1v1 bracket style. Once that's running smoothly we can add all sorts of customization and teams / round robin / clan stuff / etc.

As far as the low player count, I don't want to make any drastic decisions while it's still in early access. The official launch will help gain some traction and exposure, but I don't want to transition until it's a fully featured game.

12. RumMumMario

If you want to do tournaments, just do all this on forums in HTML style. SSL2 tourneys worked very well that way with very little effort. Spend that energy on something more innovating to the game.

13. Candor

Candor Forum Peasant Moderator

Eh, but it was limited to those who joined the forums. An internal system would allow for more access for those not acquainted with forums or would rather stay within steam.

14. Hells Fury

Hells Fury Second Lieutenant (15) Member

To be honest, I don't know what to call this anymore, but it doesn't feel like early access anymore. Sorry to say, but it's just a dead game under an "early access" alias. The official launch should have been months ago, when in reality it's still months away.

I, and a few others I've talked to, think it's time you actually went through with the official launch. We can all agree there's enough content in the game already for a full release the way it is now, and it's basically the only way to turn the game from the barren wasteland it is now into what we want it to be. Plenty of Devs release seemingly "unfinished" games and add on updates that contain new modes, missions, items, features etc. all the time, and there's really no need for you to be any different. There are 5 modes already, various themes and weapons, 80 missions, items to level, a shop to explore, clans to join, etc. That's more than enough for an official release, and you still haven't added tournaments, map creator, clan battles, custom weps (maybe?), more modes (possibly?) etc. There's just so much more you could do with this game, but with the way things are going now none of it means anything if there aren't enough players and supporters to back the game up.

To be honest, I'd rather play an officially launched game that willl have a much bigger playerbase than it does now, along with huge updates like those, than a game with all of those already implemented and the only updates being bug fixes, buffs and nerfs, and some more shop items here and there. It really does make playing the game more exciting and worthwhile in the end.

Oehler, Staple, Candor and 2 others like this.
  15. Mr Synikal

The game is "tanking" because of what seems to be very little attention to its development. Players want to see significant change to see the game growing to its full potential. We are not getting the quality updates as often as we should that show the growth nearing an official release. Many players that I've known for a long time have left because of boredom and devote their time playing other games on Steam. There's just no excitement for them anymore on SSLS and that's not good for the game's following or the community.

I understand that some updates require a lot of time, thinking, planning, imagination, etc. but throughout the process, the show of simple bug fixes aren't going to keep them around. There needs to be more of an attraction to the game and a greater effort that brings us together to enjoy the game. It's all about content and in these past 9 months of early access, the subtle developmental changes that have occurred is seemingly drawing players away. Kyle needs to kick it in gear and bring quality changes if this game is actually going to be successful.

SubZero and Hells Fury like this.
  16. RumMumMario

I have to disagree on this. If there actually was plenty of content in the game then the negative-reviewers won't bring that up. The problem is that he doesn't want to spend time working on things that actually do good for the game. We have tons of clever suggestion threads that can vastly make an improvement to the game, many of which should not be too difficult.

@kChamp
    Man I'll be a hundred percent honest here, who thought tournaments was a good idea for a literally decomposing game with veeery little players alive?? Clans as well should be the last thing to be taken in to consideration. The community - the same people - may have requested the addition of tourneys but as a developer you should be coming up with better decisions man. Look at the suggestion section, the threads, all those things. You've pulled this far enough so don't give us any excuses - we even had few members creating a very neat, summary thread of what should be done for the game!! I don't care how long it would take for you to make one really qualitative aspect. It's a lot better than what we're getting so far. Your weapon collision thing was a good one. Why abandon?

If you got time to spend on this tough project then why won't you do something else that's actually productive for the game's growth? Also if you haven't already, check the negative review section of the game. A lot of people here try to evade this evident fact that a large portion of the "new faces" are not satisfied with how the game is, but this is the reality, please face it. The game is NOT GOOD and nobody is happy with it.

Seriously, this is a huge concern and you're taking it so lightly.

17. SubZero

SubZero Master Sergeant (10) Member

Trust me the few people that read this understand this game is under devlopment and isn't finished. Only thing slowing down production is people that read post like these. I'm sure Kyle has it figuared out, lets sit back and watch the next 3 months.

Holy2334 and Black Widow like this.
  18. Holy2334

This for the most part. Kyle doesn't want a big player base yet and just needs enough people to test out the new stuff that is added in the game. Its better this way to still have the potential amount of players there when the game is fully finished with lots of things to do, than to burn out that potential on a game that's not ncecesarly ready yet.

Google567 likes this.
  19. Hells Fury

Hells Fury Second Lieutenant (15) Member

Out of the reviews I've seen, the negative reviews I've seen have been complaining about a lack of a playerbase, waiting time for matches, level gaps etc. I probably haven't noticed the ones about lack of content, but even so at this point the game has enough content to keep a new player base busy as he works on more updates with bigger developments to the game.

20. Blue Phantom

Blue Phantom Master Sergeant (10) Member

Main problem with this game is the lack of players. With the recent add of those new things in the gear shop
    and the large amount of weapons, I think what SSLS Needs now is more players. With that, I believe that the few other problems will be irrelevant (What I think)

21. Google567

Will be nice when the game has a bigger player base, it will put to rest so many problems that day to day bombard a lot of us hopefully.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  22. RumMumMario

Crap you're right, should've checked. I still think the game is very repetitive but whatever.
    The solution is simple; just give everyone a free copy in SSL2. Quickest, easiest and most effective.

But then again Kyle won't talk to us at all about this unless the whole community dives into a gigantic chaos. If our suggestions don't work and you can't do it, tell us. Maybe if the developer was able to spend five damn minutes to engage and elaborate with the community in certain ways 80% of the dramas would've been resolved easily, or even never happened in the first place. The toxicity - no offense, not directed towards anyone so don't quote me on this - of the community does have to do with the developer if we look at it this way, eh? :/

23. Holy2334

Ya but, guys he already made his statement:

If he wanted more players he would've done so already and it wouldn't be a problem. If that wouldn't get the players that he needs, then all of the drastic action things you guys said would follow. Right now though just isn't the time to worry about that. The big focus is providing the game with enough stuff to do so that when those people join they don't leave for a while. There is no need to worry, he still has his cards that are yet to be played, and he'll play them when necessary.

Also as far as games being in early access for awhile, Nuclear Throne just had it's official release just a few days ago, and that game has been around for a long while (And would make a nice gift for me on xmas)

Awesume and Google567 like this.
  24. RumMumMario

So now we have people who think that:
    • We need more players right now, we have enough contents.
    • We need more contents first, he can take his time.
    Well I don't know which side to take, it's extremely tough to because both have a point and I agree with both. I'll just remain neutral I guess. But the fact that he needs to open his mouth a bit more on forums won't change.
    A little off topic here but NT developers have been working extremely hard, weekly updating the game for 2-3 years to actually become successful, I think they're working on console version right now. Makes me feel hopeless when I compare NT to SSL, a little bit. Let's see what he will do with his little game.

25. Google567

• Off topic.
    Hard to disagree that the toxicity of the community has played a big role for players that actually stay around a little after buying.
    You not only got ego's and attitudes that seem to be consuming some but also towards players individually, clans, or even the fact no one is giving them attention.

I know there are a lot of reasons why many have slowly stopped playing this game but more and more the last couple months I have been given every reason other than to play with friends/cause I really like the game in all to play less because its simply not worth putting up with certain players at certain times of the day.
    Luckily I can work around certain times playing other games I own or other things I have to work on but a bigger fan base would make this easier for a lot dealing with similar circumstances. I feel a lot are doing the same just to try and avoid a lot of stuff which who can hardly blame them. I mean playing offline is mighty handy at times but its nice to play with your friends though.

Its odd too that there seems to be the need for in-game moderation to at least make up for Kyle's focus not being there. I mean people can and will say anything they want in-game without any sort of repercussion. A mute only goes so far and it was funny Kyle asked if there was a way to improve it. It works fine its just its easy to work around for people to get their messages to whoever they want. I'd almost compare it to this forum in its current state just without mods at the moment.

Better yet its fascinating to watch people fighting over what should be done or what they want done in relation to what we dealed with on SSL1 and SSL2 previously.
    Some reason many are expecting a different outcome in terms of development progress and updates.

I've run out of popcorn for all the things I've seen or experienced personally in-game and on this forum related to so many various things.
    This is only Beta though and I've been on this forum how long so I expect to continue to see this good entertainment flowing every day I log on otherwise it would be completely different than what I've grown accustomed to seeing from people here. Certainly it has made it less boring around here for my friends and I.

On a side note, your doing just fine Kyle. Never really had a problem with communication or anything personally.

The real problem is this group of people we call a community haha.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    Holy2334, xXTacocubesXx and smb718 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.