1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please register or sign in to get full access to the forum.

WE NEED AN IN GAME SSL GUIDE

Discussion in 'General Game Talk' started by Penguin, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Penguin

Penguin Captain (17) Member

Hi,lately i have saw so many people(low lvls) that don't have any idea of how the game works....for example they asked me how i have done to land an arc shot with high wind(wich is only a small math concept)and they thougth i was a mega ultra pro and that they would never be that good.I think that people must have the opportunity to learn this game without having to play 50 h like most of us did.That guid would be in game and it would teach you:
    -xp system(xp mult)
    -modes
    -game settings
    -how to aim an arc shot with wind or none
    -how to earn gears
    -skill rating work
    -how every weap works(something similar to ssl2 ones)
    -skill shot concept
    upload_2016-4-9_15-11-38.png look up the conversation,he tought that beating an high lvl he would lvl up fast with xp,people doesn't have the minimum idea of how SSL works and we need some ways to make thems learn the game(however i kicked him cause this people are anoying)
    edit: i remeber that kyle wanted to make an ssl wiki,this idea failed cause in the past game had much more important things in the works,but now there are way more people,game gained complexity and average IQ of new player is lower than 6 months ago so i think that now this idea should be good.But this wiki should be in game cause if it isn't no low lvl are going to see this

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  2. referee11

referee11 First Lieutenant (16) Member

XP Mult is obvious, and even low levels understand it. Simple multiplication.
    Modes explain themselves once you play.
    What game setting isn't obviously pointed out? They seem basic and simple to me.
    If it told you how to play the game, it would be boring. Let people play their own way. Except rulers, but that's for another thread which has already been made.
    It clearly says "Click the gear!" the first time you get one. Cannot be more self-explanitory than that.
    Skill rating is literally a useless number. There is no true significance to it at all. If you value that number, which goes up/down by about 10 every game depending on the result, something's wrong. Should have never been added in the first place.
    If it told you how the weapons work, what would the point be. Part of the fun is discovering the weapons yourself.
    Why do we need any of this exactly? Focus on the weapons, clans, shop, and bug fixes, not this. This literally takes all the fun out of playing.

3. Penguin

1: people don't understand the xp mult (you do but you are high lvl) and belive me most don't,i saw too much times in 1 vs 1 people that use team shot istead single shot wich is free xp mult
    2:modes explanation isn't that great
    3:i think that with all this stack games people don't understand the game(even if this game is SO easy to understand
    4:did you saw screenshot of this thread?i don't think that this guy understood the game totaly,beating me or a lvl 1 would give same xp maybe i would give a bit more just for the armor

4. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Sergeant Major (12) Member

We dont need this.
    Plp should figure out the game for themselves.
    About the stacking games, plp do that cuz monkey see monkey do.

jbalwin and referee11 like this.
  5. Penguin

you answered that,monkey see monkey do.that is what i mean most of people in SSL are monkeys so we should help this monkeys in some ways :/

6. Cleopatra

It dosnt help. Ive tried to explain it to a few but it just dosnt sink in.
    How about just avoid the stackgames and let the fools think they are gaining xp, theire loss anyway.

7. Penguin

well we have to see the game with Kchamp eyes,belive me i get fun seeing this people wasting time but it isn't good for the game itself.And yhea just like you did a tried to say that his game doesn't works so i thougth that they would hear something that is in game.

8. referee11

You've misinterpreted the phrase. "Monkey see monkey do" means people do things because they saw it from someone else. "Monkey" is a degrading insult. There is a big difference between the two.
    So wait a second, people don't know basic multiplication? I refuse to believe people don't know multiplication when you're 12. Unless this new generation is completely brainless, that's a bunch of lies. I was learning tough geometry with proofs at 12... so something's up here.
    The mode explanation is perfectly clear. "Shoot a target to stay alive, Score more points than your opponent, All shots must bounce off of lazers to do damage..." How are these not clear instructions. Again, unless this new generation is brainless, we don't need more instruction than what is there.
    As Cleo said, they just imitate it because they are spoon-fed lies. If people say that it works, they're gonna do it. Hence "monkey see monkey do". It's up to the players, not the game, to realize their errors.
    What level was this person? You gotta let them learn themselves, which is exactly why we don't need this.

jbalwin and Cleopatra like this.
  9. Penguin

man i m not saying they can do multiplication but they don't even know that that exist!when i was a noob in ssl2 i took a while to understand that there was an xp mult!i'm not saying they can't do 2 x 3 but they don't know how it works(if they even know that xp mult exist)
    and i understood cleo monkeys do what monkeys do,and i replied saying that we should help this monkeys.....i think that my english is good enougth to understand this concept(and that monkey is an insult as well lol)

10. referee11

Well, I don't believe people don't know that XP earned in game X XP multiplier = Total XP. I just don't believe that these guys don't know that basic math. If they don't wanna do it out, use a calculator which you conveniently have on your very own computer!:mad:
    1. Intentionally insulting a group of people never goes well. It would have been better if you lied and said you didn't know the expression. Now, you openly insult a large group of people in the game. Even if they do things you don't like, that doesn't mean they are stupid or bad people. They just the lies of some other guy and spread it around. There is no reason to insult them.
    2. These people have to learn themselves. We've tried to help, and they don't listen. They're on their own now. If you don't believe us, try yourself. Have fun with that, btw.

Cleopatra likes this.
  11. Cleopatra

Not even ment as a insult, just a figure of speach.
    But if they cant figure it out for themselves maybe this isnt the right game for them to play.

Mr Synikal and referee11 like this.
  12. Penguin

well i didn't started to say the word monkey in this thread.......i don't know why if someone else use that word it s ok but if i use that it's wrong,i used monkey word to explain to cleo my point using the same word she used(yhea i know it's same concept of monkey xD) but i used that just to continue the example.I could have used istead of monkey"hte copy and pasters" but the meaning would have been the same.However i ll reapeat for last time i'm not saying that they don't know maths!plz try to understand istead staying on your point without thinking 5 sec,i m saying that some of new players don't even know the existence of xp mult,or which game settings changes it.I repeat again some 1 vs 1 low lvls keep team shot istead single shot,wich gives free xp mult but they don't even know that.They could learn it in just 5 secs istead after so many games wasting lot's of xp
    edit:i think that you are staying with your points cause you see the game with high lvl eyes,i mean it's obvious after years of ssl that you know xp mult but,for a TOTALY new player,that discover that game for first time,it isn't that easy without ANY help or any decent tutorial.Thats why i think that a guide would be good.I don't think that when your first came in ssl you immediatly knew all xp mult changes ecc.
    You have to calculate one more thing,we are ssl2 veterans and we moved in steam.That means 2 things
    -we already know the game
    -we are dedicated
    a brand new player wouldn't dedicate so much at start in SSL like we did,that why he should understand the game as much as possible at the start

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  13. Cleopatra

14. Penguin

I understand that expression,i know even in my language we use to say that for someone who copy action of other people

15. Cleopatra

Dosnt seem like u do since u bring it up as i used it to insult anyone in every post.

16. Penguin

in this one i just used that word like you did making an example.I think that,even using an expression,you still insulted thems :/(you still compared this people as monkeys so it's still an insult in my point of view,even if it is a language expression the rule is = for everybody..) btw that we're going off topic.

17. Tavi

Tavi First Sergeant (11) Member

Tbh when the game released I actually thought the 'Challenges' section was just 1 large tutorial. ^^;;

Edit: P.S. plz stop the bickering. If someone new needs help, just help, or link them to here. ez

referee11 likes this.
  18. referee11

If they can't read a giant box on the right side of the screen, how did they make it through the checkout to get this game in the first place? Doesn't seem logical to me. Plus, they can just experiement themselves to find out what raises it and what doesn't. That shouldn't be explained. Also, it's tough for me to follow your point because I have to assume they're as dumb as you make them seem, which is certainly an exaggeration on your part. Please don't tell me this is more "high levels are smart, low levels are stupid" stuff. That doesn't fly with me.
    No, I'm pretty sure that's what you're doing... I assume that they have a brain, go to school, and learn stuff. You act as if they are helpless, stupid, and unobservant. These new people are smarter than what you've displayed here. 1 low level doesn't represent the group. Most low levels either learn the game (or use rulers -.-) very quickly, quicker than you think apparently. These are people that just need a little time to sort this stuff out themselves. Spoonfeeding them information does nothing to help them at all. At least consider them human beings with a competant education, please.

19. Penguin

unobservant is the key word,they do 500 stack games and they don't even notice that thems don't work for xp how can you say that they are observant xD and considerating the HUGE amount of stack games i have the reasons to stay on my point.Really i tougth on your replies but i think that you overrate a bit the new players and you can see that in game.And i don't know why you are accusing me of beeing someone that insult the people when i said that,when i was a noob in ssl2,i didn't even knew the exsistence of xp mult for a pretty long time and ssl steam is way more complex than ssl2,yhea sometimes i think that they are really stupid beacause i had really bad expieriences with those people,but i'm not underrating thems at all,so plz stop to make me look like an american slavist of 1600/1700 that thinks different people are stupid,they just don't have experience and they are REALLY sttuborn,i don't know why you wouldn't like to help this people :/.

20. Awesume

Awesume Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

Hold on a second here everyone.
    I think this idea is great (some points), alot of games have either a basic quest, or tutoral. Which ssl does, but it's missing details.
    1. How to team chat.
    2. That you can use the arrow keys to change the angle.
    3. You can press "Space Bar" to fire.

I think it would be neat to have a saying with each weapon not explaining how it works but like in ssl2, where it gives a simple sentence of what the weapon is like in a real life setting for some.

And for that younger generation, they are not as smart, my cousin is using a calculator in grade 2.

Penguin likes this.
  21. Cleopatra

The same kids has enough knowledge to play far more complicated games than this. I think its a matter of will and not lack of intelligence.

Mr Synikal likes this.
  22. RumMumMario

RumMumMario Lieutenant General (23) Member

Part of the fun when playing a new game is exploring it and discovering the uniqueness of the game that makes it different from other games out there. There are far more complicated games out there that give little to no support to new players but it still maintains its popularity. This is useless and is not needed.
    I blame parents and school. Calculator in grade 2? lmao.

Awesume, Cleopatra and referee11 like this.
  23. referee11

They have nothing to compare it to. If you just do stack games, you can't compare it to games you don't do. This doesn't help your point at all. If you go to one particular restaurant every time you go out to eat, you can't compare it to the food of another. Make sure your arguments don't have holes as big as this. I just flipped it around right back on you. At least have a stable counterargument. o_O
    I see plenty of actually intelligent, kind, funny people who care about the game a lot. I don't know how you see what you see. Wait, I remember: Because some people stack, all the new people are dumb. Quit lumping people together in irrational ways.
    1. You called them monkeys AND openly admitted you insulted them. How in the world am I supposed to take the rest of your argument seriously when you counter things you had said above this?
    2. SSLS is not much more complicated than SSL2. Actually, it isn't even as complicated as SSL2. One common arc, same dynamics... the only things different are the overall polish, the weapon count, tournies, and the main hub. You should go back and compare them yourself. They really aren't that different.
    3. You say you had bad experiences with new people, but you aren't underrating them at all. I have one word in response to that: "Monkeys". C'mon mate.
    4. Being a slaveowner and thinking people are stupid are two different things. Being a slaveowner was racism. Thinking people are stupid can be a factor for racism, but it isn't always. Also, you aren't being racist, you're just being extremely rude and disrespectful to them.
    5. The only way people truly learn is by experiencing things first-hand. That's why schools have (or had) hands-on activities. You learn more about things by doing them, rather than reading them in a textbook. That's how I (sorta) remember how to make wool sweaters. If I had read that in a textbook and hadn't had those memories, I wouldn't have remembered it at all. Pretend the guide is a textbook. You're making it so those details are less meaningful to them, even though they are the same information. It's important they memorize things themselves, rather than have that information spoon-fed to them. This is what I and others talking about.

24. IrisHeart

IrisHeart Private First Class (4) Member

Well I feel like people actually learn better when they have to inquire on things themselves. Mainly because the game is still in beta and there will more than likely be additional functions in the future. If players can't learn to think for themselves instead of using a guide now then they'll sure have a hell of a time playing future versions if there crutch (guide) isn't updated to match said version.

Oh, and maybe not having a guide is a good way to repel the idiots from the game. Natural selection pretty much. Besides, why waste precious time on a guide when kyle could use that time on adding content and bug fixes.

referee11 likes this.
  25. Owl_Spirit27

Owl_Spirit27 Private First Class (4) Member

If by guide you mean a brief in-game manual explaining some of the key features (but not spoiling too much), then I'm all for it :)

GooodHerb and Penguin like this.