1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please register or sign in to get full access to the forum.

Weapon Balancing

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by lw1990, Jun 6, 2016.

1. lw1990

lw1990 New Born (1) Member

There needs to be more "special" weapons like Ram Squad or Boomerang that don't follow the normal trajectory. Every new weapon I think should be "alternative" which would help with the ruler problem, especially if they actually do decent damage.

One of the funnest aspects long term of this game is the unique weapons, but don't overdo one trivial thing for a ton of weapons (like is done with "guns"). I'm not sure how many guns there are but it's usually useless as there is no arc possible, and the shells don't bounce.

Suggest new weapons that only do damage if they go underground first (underground weapons). For example an underground digger, which behaves exactly as an above ground digger but is shot underground only. This would make people have to invert their known angles to use underground weps, and makes it a little bit trickier for ruler users. (Also makes the game more dynamic/fun, and adds strategy to being able to hug terrain and shoot underground).

Suggest more weapons that bounce off the sides of the screen like Seagull does even if it doesn't touch the wall bumper.

Suggest adding more weapons that are dynamically affected by wind, like BFG-1000 BFG-9000 are, because they travel slower or faster.

Also reccomend adding the arced laser to steam shellshock like you had in previous shellshock.

Shooting star needs its randomness factor reduced a little.

the base Pinger (first level) also needs randomness factor reduced a little.

Please add holy grenade to steam shellshock, as it was one of the most comedic weapons from earlier shellshock games.

Suggest a new weapon like tadpoles which is called "worms", which is about 10 tiny pinkish worms that eat the ground like Python or Cobra do, but with much less damage. The spread should be just like tadpoles.

Suggest a Kamehameha weapon, from dragon ball z, (like master beam but with a sphere on one end a different yellow color) that arcs slightly but less than normal.

Suggest a slingshot weapon (3 levels or more, with 1 pebble, 2 pebbles, 3 pebbles, 5 pebbles) that exponentially shoots further the more power you give it (not linearly comparable to normal weaponry, it would be like the opposite of boomerang in that max power would shoot very fast and go off screen, and low power would almost go nowhere)

Suggest adding weapons that change their projectile size (and damage) after touching a bumper, or portal, or maybe even a wall bumper, regardless of the game mode. For example a "pong" weapon (the circular pong "ball" from pong games), every time it bounces off a bumper or wall bumper, it would do a little more damage than before to anything it hits, and grow a little in size.

For portals, a new weapon like "wormhole" (similar to black hole) could be amplified in damage or area-of-impact (like grow bigger than it normally would) depending on if it passes through a portal.

Suggest a medium-close-range weapon like Sword or Shank that is instead a hammer (that only does damage at the far end and the handle of the hammer adjusts slightly based on power used) This way its not just dumb "point and fire" like guns or shanks. Not a modern hammer but a big wooden one for comedic effect (like whack-a-mole).

Suggest a piggy-bank weapon that does damage as the pink piggy bank flies and lands on a target, then also spews out coins in a fountain-like pattern, also doing small damage. If the piggy bank projectile encounters a Gears flying crate in its path, the number of coins that spew out should increase by three times. Same thing if the piggy bank hits a target with a Bounty on them, even if they don't die.

My most sincere suggestion is this:
    Please limit the damage of all "basic" weapons to a reasonable amount, ESPECIALLY when used at close range, they should get a reasonable damage penalty. "Trick" weapons should be the most powerful kind, but only when used at long range. If someone can hit someone bouncing off bumpers, or boomeranging someone far away, or ram squading them, etc, then that deserves slightly (SLIGHTLY) higher damage, for example around 80 base, 160 crit (total), as an upper limit at max range.

Piece of cake weapons like frogs or megabuilder (and many others) need a nerf when used close range, there's really no incentive to risk using a tricky weapon as it is because they are usually weak even when you get an amazing hit.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    Penguin and xXTacocubesXx like this.
  2. xXTacocubesXx

xXTacocubesXx Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

I wouldn't think tunneler weps would be hard for ruler users to figure out at all, it's basically the exact same angles except underground.

Weapons such as BFG and Seagull that move slowly in wind are simply double affected by wind, and therefore very simple to figure out in wind if you know the math.

I agree pinger and shooting star sucks, but you don't want to make it to where you can count on every single weapon. There should be some weps that suck.

Holy grenade yes. We need ALL (I wouldn't miss blob or floaters though) the old weps from ssl 1 and 2 to come back.

I think the idea of having weapons that do bonus dmg for hitting bumpers is a great idea. I think it'd be a good idea if the portal gun did bonus dmg for shooting it through a portal.

Scarlet and Penguin like this.
  3. lw1990

lw1990 New Born (1) Member

Yes it is entirely possible to mathematically figure out every shot, but making weapons on average more special-use makes basic rulers less useful, and makes the human brain fun factor that much better. Human brains are pattern finding machines, seeing new weapon behavior, matching the pattern, and applying it, equals fun. If 40% of shellshock's weapons were special (even if mildly so like BFG-weps) then there would have to be an immense effort by someone who wanted to trace every shot, but in contrast only a small learning curve of watching other people successfully use the weapons and using your brain to guesstimate.

EDIT:
    Obviously though, these type of weapons imo should only be unlocked by default after level like 50 at least. Giving them to brand new players might just frustrate them.

4. Penguin

Penguin Captain (17) Member

well i am agree with all you said but you know what?we just need weapons that doesn't do straigth damage if we want originality.Kyle done pretty good so far but with shank and arrow "originality" there is clearly the need to have some "special effects weapons"" such as poison weapons,healing weapons ecc.(i have TONS of ideas about that type of weapon)
    And I m REALLY agree about the weapon increasing damage with bumper,i wanted to suggest that but you know what is said on that forum just stays on that forum(this weapon unlock would perfectly with hit the bumpers x amount of times achivements)

Note: about originality of weapons don't you think that arrow tier is actually very useless?it is just another sniper that's it, while this weapon could have turned in something unique. here my suggestion of last tier for arrow

arrow rain:
    upload_2016-6-6_18-14-31.png

shot an arrow with a flare on it,then like carpet fire many arrows comes(in random formations) dealing area damage.I think that this weapon concept is:
    1: pretty obvious arrow rain is a classic that could fit really good in SSL
    2: a good way to make an original weapon/not a cooler to see sniper

sry that i didn't made complete artwork with restant part but i think it is pretty easy for you to imagine how it would look (GREAT :p) and i'm working on another thread,i know it will be useless but i wanna share that ideas with someone

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    Tavi and Taylor like this.