1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please register or sign in to get full access to the forum.

Weapon Experience Allocation

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by >> <<, Feb 28, 2016.

1. >> <<

>> << Private E-1 (2) Member

Currently, XP gained by a fully upgraded weapon is wasted since the weapon can still gain XP after being fully upgraded.

This creates problems in that not only do players have to wait an extra while for all their fully upgraded weapons to accumulate XP at the round, but also have to risk losses due to using weaker weapons in hopes of upgrading that weapon. It is also somewhat pointless to display XP that a weapon has in total after it has reached its maximum upgrade, as it cannot do anything with that extra XP.

My suggestion is that the XP a fully upgraded weapon earns at the end of the round is divided between the other weapons used in that round. The fully upgraded weapon would also stop showing up at the end of rounds. The all weapons panel (not the weapon unlock grid) would also stop displaying the XP of a fully upgraded weapon in order to accommodate XP distribution.

The division of XP among other weapons can be shown in two scenarios:

The first of which is when an already fully upgraded weapon, or weapons, are used in a round. Where X represents the sum of the XP that those fully upgraded earned during that match, and W represents the number of non-fully-upgraded weapons used during that match, each non-fully-upgraded weapon would receive X/W XP, in addition to the XP that they each earned themselves during that match.

The second scenario is when a weapon reaches its full upgrade as XP is being distributed. In this case, let Y represent the sum of XP that the weapon(s) that reach their full upgrade gain past its full upgrade amount and W represent the number of non-fully-upgraded weapons used during that match. Each non-fully-upgraded weapon would then receive Y/W XP in addition to the amount of XP that each of them earn during that match.

Now lets put this into a real scenario. (Where all variables are positive integers)

In this round,
    Grenade Storm gains E XP.
    Seven-Bounce gains F XP
    Mega-Digger requires A XP points until it upgrades into Excavation. However, in this round, it has gained A+B XP.
    Heavy Roller requires C XP points until it upgrades into Groller. However, in this round, it has gained
    C+D XP.
    There are W other non-fully-upgraded weapons.

Hence, Each non-fully-upgraded weapon would gain (B+D+E+F)/W additional XP along with the XP that it earned itself during this round.

Since this suggestion does not affect the interaction between players ,and the weapons given to players at the beginning of the round and through out are random, and also that this suggestion is unaffected by settings nor items, I think that this would be a major quality of life improvement that would be extremely difficult (if not impossible) to exploit.
    Thank you for reading.

Tugdil and xXTacocubesXx like this.
  2. referee11

referee11 First Lieutenant (16) Member

Why should we change the new system? You earn XP for using a weapon a certain amount of times. This isn't even an issue until you are over lvl 80. Even then, you have so many weapons it doesn't even matter. We should stick the the current system. Extra XP is extra XP for that weapon, enough said.

3. >> <<

New system? Current system? What are you referring to, and if referring to anything, what is the "old system?"

The waste of XP from fully upgraded weapons remains an issue when you are level 80, because by then you will have a large portion of the weapons fully upgraded, and it is even more so an issue at level 80+ because of this compared to lower levels. It doesn't matter even if you were to have infinite weapons because there can only be so many used in one round. And it is highly likely that at least one, or if you're talking about level 80s, a lot more than one of your weapons will be fully upgraded.

Extra XP for fully upgraded weapons is wasted XP. You are quite literally saying that people who want to fill multiple glasses with water (which is an overwhelmingly high percentage of people in this case), should be satisfied with letting the first glass overflow with the second glass's volume of water and leave the second one completely empty.

Maybe provide a valid reason as to why or why not, before directly heading for yes or no.

Tugdil likes this.
  4. referee11

First off, the system I was referring to is our current system. Got to caught up in hypothetical scenarios.
    Next, I said this doesn't become a problem until lvl 80, meaning that's when it gets more pressing. I agree with that.
    Lastly, this game is all about the work and grind. This game doesn't want to reward people with more stuff because they use an extremely maxed OP weapon (Must I list them? FireStorm, MegaNuke, Dual Needler, etc.). I would have EVERY weapon maxed already if this was the case. Even if it was spread around, it would still be worthless. It would all just fill up anyways. Just play a ton of games and get the weapons you need to get. That's why the achievements are so high. If this was put in, you wouldn't need to work hardly at all. If this gets put in, I will literally quit the game because there is 0 challenge. He already lowered the leveling restrictions AND weapon restrictions. Why dos this need to be added on top of that? When you become a higher level, you'll see just how cheap and unfufilling this system would be.

5. >> <<

Weapons are picked at the beginning of a match randomly. You don't get to choose to freely use the strong weapons such as Firestorm, Mega Nuke, and so on to level up your other weapons. Not to mention that, I HIGHLY doubt that you're only going to have "OP" weapons and the weapon that you want to level. XP DISTRIBUTION, not XP transfer.
    If grinding was what players wanted, kChamp wouldn't be changing the levelling system at all.

Tugdil likes this.
  6. Goomba

Goomba Sergeant First Class (9) Member

Or just make a certain XP goal for each weapon unlock a golden skin for that weapon and there you go. Rewarded for perseverance and you can show off your bling.

7. referee11

I know weapons spawn randomly. I always get at LEAST one of these weapons in every game. That's why they are there.
    Grinding is just part of the game. Once you reach 75, you will feel that. Just look at the distances between the levels. Constantly growing and growing, 20K, 30K, 40K, up to around 90K. If you don't think this game is about grinding in the top levels, you may wanna rethink that...
    Distribution doesn't change the total amount of xp. If I get 2500 extra XP, it is all just there. If I need 100,000 xp to max every weapon I have unleveled, transfer or distribution, 100,000 xp is what I need to get. There is 0 difference between transfer and distribution in the longrun. Also, the two words have almost identical definitions. It would be easier to understand if you used words with a bigger difference in definition. Both words share "transportation" as a synonym, meaning they are too close in definition to be easily differed. #grammarpolice
    To add onto this idea, any weapon with that skin shot from your tank gets a gold tinge to show that it is special. No damage boost, just coolness. I like this idea more than the distribution/transfer/whatever you want to call it.

8. >> <<

Grinding is not only tedious and unpopular to many players, but poses potential danger to the development of games that do not have a lot of content constantly being added in.

If you look and compare games involving grinding such as League of Legends, Warframe, Spiral Knights and Maplestory, you will find out that of the 4, only 3 of them currently have general online popularity (League, Warframe, and Maplestory). This is because those 3 have a large development team and are able to constantly pour in content. Spiral Knights, on the other hand, is equally if not more grind-based than the others. Due to its small development team, it lacks continuous content input, and hence its player base has greatly diminished due to there being nothing to do except grind. You could argue that all of the above are F2P, but what remains constant is that a lack of continuous inputs of content plus grinding will not result in good things happening to the game's popularity, which you can even assume without the example of Spiral Knights. As popularity decreases, so will steam ratings, and as a result, downloads will follow.

I think you need to realize that kChamp is already trying to decrease the amount of grinding, and the development for this game is from him alone, so he cannot risk losing popularity at such an early stage of the game (we all know of what happened to Starforge, where player expectations greatly surpassed what the company was capable of). He is only human, and should not be chained to his work just so his personal quality of life can increase. Two dimensional is only a few variables and a few models away from three dimensional.

This suggestion was created as a proposal for another way that kChamp could decrease grinding without having to further reduce the XP requirements. But of course, if I'm wrong about him wanting to decrease grinding, it is in his power to ignore this. This is a suggestion, after all.

And also, transfer does not account for the possibility of multiple outputs in the way that distribution does by granting each output a divided amount of what would have been transferred. #buteverythingchangedwhenthegrammarnationattacked

Regarding the idea of weapon skins, it is a very nice idea, but each weapon line would likely require its own color set ( being cosmetic, it is also not likely to be released until later stages of development). I don't think a golden diety nor a golden solar flare will fool anyone.

Tugdil likes this.
  9. referee11

This game was as grindy as anything until the new people came. After the level switch, I jumped from 74 to 83. That's how big the difference between the levels was. By cutting it short, I just flew up level-wise. Grinding for weapon XP has ALWAYS been part of the game. No one complained about this on SSL2, where you actually had to level up a weapon 5 times for it to reach its max potential. It's a part of this game. I like it. It gives you reason to keep playing if you're a perfectionist. If you're not a perfectionist, just play the game an hour or two a day over a long span of time. Besides, most of the weapons you have to upgrade aren't even that good... I wouldn't call Shot, Palm, or Rain good weapons. This is a "use the best you got" game. And I hope that's the way it stays.
    Why would I compare it to these games? I'm comparing it to the browser versions of itself. Same developer, just flash. Those are P2W (kinda, I won without ever paying anything), but that doesn't affect the leveling system. The leveling system has improved since then, but it can show the same grindiness that is in the game. The game needs SOMETHING to hold onto the players with. Doing your method takes that thing away. Leveling has gone down, so weapon xp has to be more of a longterm burden. Besides, he's lowered it three times already alone, and I think that's enough. This game was never meant to be "easy". If it's easy, you're pobably not having the experience kChamp wanted you to have. I also think it is unfair to compare this game with those because each of those games have different developers with different genres from this and different goals for their game. Relating these games isn't an even comparison.
    Yes, kChamp is cutting down the grindiness. But there has to be SOME left. Eliminating ALL grinding is bad. There is minimal grinding for levels 1-75 at this point, so grinding there got overly removed. Weapons need to not be too easy to level up or this game gets too easy, as mentioned before. Now, this game has other issues: Damage balance, potential moderators, etc. I think those are more pressing than this would be, especially with all the updates aimed at it recently. kChamp has also worked his butt off to keep this game afloat. There was at two points a whole month between updates and the ETA didn't matter. Now, he is actually following through. As long as he continues being this kChamp and not the old kChamp.
    He won't actually see this. Though he has worked his butt on on updates, he hasn't visited the forums since the new wave of people came in. Besides, he doesn't really care about us as a community imo; I think he thinks of us as consumers. Not exactly what you want on a big-scale multiplayer game, but whatever he is doing is working. Maybe not for us, but the game, certainly. If you want kChamp to ever actually see this, copy the content of the original post and email it to him at whatever his SSLS email is. I forget what it is, but I'm pretty sure someone else who sees this will. Or maybe you do. But, yeah, he won't ever see this here in this state.
    I love this joke. xD

Tugdil likes this.
  10. Owl_Spirit27

Owl_Spirit27 Private First Class (4) Member

I like this idea. Maybe if the golden skin for that weapon has been unlocked, it could increase gear spawn rate/base xp rate when you use it. Now there's reason to use it even after it's been maxed out :)

Tugdil, Scarlet and Goomba like this.