1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please register or sign in to get full access to the forum.

Where the hell are our chat moderators?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Blue Phantom, Jan 31, 2017.

?

Is this a good idea? ^^

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. ...

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Blue Phantom

Blue Phantom Sergeant (7) Member

So I've been waiting for I don't know how long for Kyle to add chat moderators. I've started to ignore SSLS's lobby-chat.

Even for people who talk crap in-game, the lobby chat is the worst. My idea is to add a reasonable large chunk of people who have the ability to delete posts in the lobby chat and mute somebody from talking there for as long of they see fit.

A name-color for kChamp's name would also be a good idea. There are several people who impersonate him now just for a joke. Maybe his mom's among them.

It'd be like AirMech.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  2. xXTacocubesXx

xXTacocubesXx Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

Personally, I find the chat lobby amusing and it lightens up my day.

RumMumMario, Blue Phantom and Taylor like this.
  3. faaarkwit

faaarkwit Staff Sergeant (8) Member

Never gonna happen. Did not happen in previous versions.

Not that I'm against mods, not at all.

P.S. That blue color you use makes your posts hard to read, sometimes I skip them just because of that.

RumMumMario likes this.
  4. Blue Phantom

Blue Phantom Sergeant (7) Member

Aevoa used to do that, give me a break....

That's no reason for not adding it. You think that people in SSL2 would have said that something like a "Bee Hive" would not have been added in SSLS simply because it was not in SSL1?
    How about no.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  5. Awesume

Awesume Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

Nice Idea but knowing kyle it will take 5 years or more before they get added, and by that time the game will be either dead or super boring that no one wants to play it.

6. faaarkwit

I probably skipped his posts too, then :D
    But seriously, my intention was not ill, that light blue just does not go well with white. Then again, during these 20 something years in the internet have made me a bit of a conservative, I like to think less is more and better. Less there are graphical effects, the better.

Anyways, back on topic.
    Meh, of course it's not a reason to not add it. My point was that as it was not added to pevious versions, it is not very likely to be part of this version.
    Eye candy, that's what we get. Lots and lots of eye candy.
    I'm all for moderators, although I pity those who would have that burden, such a cess pool the lobby is.

7. KingKyd

KingKyd Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

The problem is with something like this, is Kyle is someone that would prefer a problem to sort itself out rather than appoint people to do it for him. Reason being, the potential for abuse is way too high. Hence the report button and the occasional ban for abusive players, everything is either done by him or by players of equal power.

For those of you that were here to witness it, think about three years ago when it was time to add more moderators to the forum. Not many of them left around, are there?

Adding moderators in the game, with SSL Steam having the largest player base of any SSL iteration by a large margin, means the ability to run rampant with bans and silencing is more possible than ever. There will always be someone acting up that the moderators cannot catch, and there will always be advertisers for aimbots as well as aimbot users. In order for this to work, an advanced back-end report system would have to be created to be handled on a case-by-case basis, to help stop confusion of user names. Considering any person can change their Steam name and avatar at any given time, it would be easy to bait someone into getting banned otherwise by not having it setup this way.

Fortunately, I have some time on my hands and an intelligent, experienced mind in things like moderation, so I will explain how to set this up properly.

1. Utilize a server or server partition specifically used to handle reports of players. There will most likely be a flood of them, so don't skimp out on the space used to handle reports.
    2. Have a server back-end GUI only moderators can access that includes the following: Multi-tab browser to handle multiple reports at once; Easy-access compressed list of reported players including their display and Steam user names; List sort feature with filter criteria including things like sorting by most reported, newest reports, oldest reports, and what type of report (will get into this momentarily).
    3. Add the report button to the chat lobby interface that gives a list of the players within the chat lobby you're in as well as a search function for display and user names for multiple user selection.
    4. Expand on the report function to include different report criteria such as illegal advertisement, rude/offensive behavior, crude language, suspected hacking/modding, and glitch exploitation. Also include a notation box where users can further explain their issue(s) with the player as well as the option to send the last 50 messages of the chat log with a tickbox (both for game lobbies and public chat lobbies.)
    5. Have existing moderators scout potential new moderators to add to the team as well as administrators that can de-mod at any given time. Having only U.S. or UK-based moderators as well as strictly English-speaking moderators would not be a good idea. At least one moderator per every major language should be appointed or at least scouted for.
    6. Add a moderator-exclusive inbox feature for discussion of how to handle uncommon reports and other things.
    7. Add the ability to forward a report to the inbox of another moderator that speaks a different language or has more insight on how to handle the situation appropriately.
    8. Add the ability for moderators to spectate games, both discreetly and with user notification by use of tickbox.
    9. Include a moderator-exclusive public chat or notation area where moderators can speak to everyone at once about a situation, an extended absence, or whatever else.
    10. Have administrators monitor the moderators' progress and frequency of silencing/banning for evaluation of whether to de-mod, add/remove abilities for, or even promote to administrator if necessary. Saying "we have enough mods" when you have a decent margin only logging in for one hour per week isn't a bright idea, so monitoring play time is also a good idea. I'd say at least a minimum of five hours per week in-game would be appropriate.

This would drastically improve the user experience in the game in my book. Yes, it is rather easy to ignore these things, but it's a lot easier to grow the consumer base for an aimbot or encourage offensive behavior when it's borderline risk-free in most situations, as observed by a new user. On the flip side of this, a game's reputation can be hurt by having newcomers see the bad players run rampant with little hope of getting something done about it. We could only benefit from a built-in moderation system for SSL Steam, especially before the official 1.0 version launches.

Would anyone like to expand on or modify this?

Tugdil, xXTacocubesXx, Taylor and 3 others like this.
  8. faaarkwit

I thought I'd stay away from posting on this forum anymore but damn you! :D

Stupid English hinders me explaining myself but I'll try. The back-end GUI needs to have some kind of assigning feature, so that mods themselves can mark reports/issues/whatchamacallits for themselves being under consideration, or that some kind of överlörd of mods can assign certain mods to certain cases.
    So frustrating when you have an idea clear in your head but just can't spit it out in understandable form.

KingKyd and Taylor like this.
  9. KingKyd

KingKyd Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

I completely understand what you say. A notation feature for marking certain reports as false, severe, under evaluation, and other things, plus the ability for administrators (the overlords you refer to) to give certain tasks to certain moderators based on experience or language or whatever else. A great addition, good sir.

10. Awesume

Awesume Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

Now to have kyle read this....

xXTacocubesXx and KingKyd like this.
  11. Holy2334

Holy2334 Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

The bigger question is, does he even care?

It just sounds like too much work to put in and maintain for something that isn't a major part of the game. Especially when those who don't like the stuff being said in lobby chat can mute, turn filters on or just turn chat off in general.

The two major things people seem to be complaining about this game, is the cheating that's going on and the fact that they can't even play the damn game. Both of these things he seems to be working on and figuring out hopefully.

At this point if you want Kyle to look at anything you're better off using the steam discussion boards. That's the place that everybody on steam is familiar with, and by far is way more active than here.