1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please register or sign in to get full access to the forum.

I'm sick

Discussion in 'General Game Talk' started by TankFrank, Dec 28, 2014.

1. referee11

referee11 First Lieutenant (16) Member

k, thanks. Lol, I thought there was a difference. But yay, I didnt waste an hour replying to this thread :D

Yes, RumzMumzMario, I agree exactly. It is a slightly more moderate solution than KingKyd laid out, which was to "put them on [his] permanent ban list." And your grammar was fine :D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2014
  2. Candor

Candor Forum Peasant Moderator

As I said before, there is a time to use it, it should only be thought of as a last resort... as it would be thought of in real war... if it help you even the playing field, or even give you an advantage.

( @referee11 Lets not clutter with double posts, I will merge your previous posts.)

3. KingKyd

KingKyd Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

You're not "giving up" if you don't suicide, you're accepting your loss and moving on. The logic behind what I said is very simple:

You suicide on somebody, you're taking XP from them they earned by defeating you, as well as showing you can't handle losing to them due to ego.

You don't suicide on somebody, you're showing respect to them by granting them the XP they rightfully earned as well as accept your loss like a man.

This game is not World War II, despite having tanks. It's more like Fencing: Show respect, and have respect shown to you.

What he meant is you are posting one time for every person you reply to instead of posting once and replying to everyone so the thread doesn't get cluttered.

Pro-tip: Open your response to the thread in one tab, open the thread in another tab to browse it, and copy/paste quotes into the first tab to make one post. You'll make the mods' job to merge posts and the browsing experience for all users easier.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  4. Candor

(This thread has turned into a damn argument lol... take it down a notch peeps. Lets just discuss this instead of arguing about it... everyone has their opinions.)

In a game like this, which is based upon luck more than skill, you can see why people suicide, and in my opinion it isn't disrespectful if you are facing someone that got lucky with weapons and take advantage of this strategy.

A lot of the time you will see low levels and ones that don't pay to win suicide because its the only way... (funny coming from me cuz I have literally everything bought...)

Chivalry/Sportsmanship exists in sports and games where everyone is equal, aside from skill. Where the only factor is skill.

This game however is not all about skill, and sometimes you need more to win.

To tell the truth, even looking at the concept irl, what drives one to do such a thing? is it respectful? is it fair? maybe not, or maybe it is, but its the fight till the last dying breath so that maybe their brothers and sisters will win the battle and see the light of day.

5. KingKyd

Actually yeah I do see why people suicide in a game primarily based on luck: They never want to admit defeat. Sometimes, you just have to play the cards that you're dealt and when they're bad, fold and play another day; not try to cheat to still win it when you know you're going down anyway to ruin the experience for others. Doesn't matter if there is luck or not, if you are going to lose you should accept it, not ruin someone else's experience and make them dislike you.

So you adhere to suicide being disrespectful and unfair, but still support it? Sounds like what you're saying.

6. Candor

what I am saying is that it can be taken as disrespect by someone who has 4 nukes and 3 firestorms because they didn't get to use it lol. But I don't think it is disrespectful.
    People want to win, it is simple as that, its the reason people don't like others suicide, and the same reason people suicide.

jgalloway64 likes this.
  7. KingKyd

I take it as disrespect in any situation, because it simply is a disrespectful gesture for all of the reasons I've named above. If you can't accept your loss like a man and move on, then you shouldn't be playing games online to begin with.

But I've argued my opinion enough here. Hopping out before more people that don't think before they speak attack me.

Candor likes this.
  8. Erile

Erile First Sergeant (11) Member

Mine was in response to 15Galaxy15's specific question, which was basically: why do it when it doesn't help your team? Hence my answer :) I wasn't referring to strategic reasons for doing so, just the most common reason players do it, which is to spite others sadly.

JohannZim likes this.
  9. referee11

referee11 First Lieutenant (16) Member

All of the sudden, I don't think this thread is gonna last over the night XD

10. 15Galaxy15

15Galaxy15 First Sergeant (11) Member

You get XP when you suicide, but what about us? We want to use our weapons, level them up and get our XP. You wouldn't like if I suicided on you and you couldn't use your weapons. That is what I am saying. And, of course, dont help you team. This is my opinion.

referee11 likes this.
  11. Tavi

Tavi First Sergeant (11) Member

The reasons I see stated here are disrespect and tactic vs respect and admitting defeat to a stronger opponent.
    If the opponent was not deserving however, say has a prick attitude or fights dirty constantly, why should they deserve the extra xp?
    Fighting someone who uses 20 shields and even more Crates while badmouthing you the entire round, I don't see how they deserve anything.

In a normal, clean match I see no point in suicides. It is disrespectful in the majority of situations. Can be as tactical as you want, still disrespectful.
    (Certain games where everyone's just messing around and it has no negative intent may be excused due to no1 giving a fk.)

Extra points:
    -Obey the rules of the host. If you don't want to get kicked for suiciding, don't suicide, or join a different game... otherwise deal with the punishment if you don't listen.
    -Suiciding isn't always used as a tactic to win. Not all who complain about suicides care about winning either, they may just want a clean, respectful fight.
    -This is a game. All-in-all, win or lose, it doesn't matter.

Hells Fury likes this.
  12. buyingtime

buyingtime Second Lieutenant (15) Former Moderator

I have thought about my opinion, and it is in fact not to attack you. I'm not saying I disagree with you in all that you have said either, because I don't agree with suiciding and I don't do it myself. However, I think that FFA games and 1v1 are the times that deem suicide as what you are defining it as. In a 1v1, it's disrespectful to suicide because it is admitting that the other person was a better player and you stole his XP- as 15Galaxy15 said. To suicide in a FFA game makes no sense..

So that would leave Team matches as the only appropriate time, in my opinion. In that situation, it is about the greater good of the team rather than intentionally taking away XP from somebody. In some situations, if a person suicides and damages an enemy enough, they can win the game for the team. And therefore, it is not as much meant as disrespect in that case, but rather meant to be a way to win the game. I'm not saying it's what I would do, or that people can't make room rules, but there are cases when it isn't meant as disrespectful as you say.

13. Sammik

Sammik Private E-2 (3) Member

This is quite an interesting thread to me.

I think it starts with your definition of what is fair play. Here, it is very common to have expectations of players in a 'gentleman's game.' For instance there are the "unwritten rules", such as don't shoot your neighbor in FFA (with exceptions of x2's.), there's the no stacking agreement of both teams, and usually, it's a serious faux pas to use a shield in a game. The suicide action is one that tends to be on the fence with players that I've crossed paths with. I usually don't, simply as a courtesy to other players.

My personal opinion on suicide or kamikaze-ing is that I don't think it's such a big deal. It's not causing any type of actual injury; but suicide is just against the shellshock elite's mores, and that's fine as well.

14. Goldschlarger

Goldschlarger Lieutenant Colonel (19) Member

Iv'e never once seen in any war film or heard of it in real life that a tank sits on top of another tank and blows it's self up to gain the upper hand lmao... Here guys im gonna go drive my tank on top of the enemys one so you guys got one tank less to deal with!!!

15. buyingtime

buyingtime Second Lieutenant (15) Former Moderator

I never seen popcorn or a seagull come out of a tank either.....

JohannZim, Sammik, Awesume and 3 others like this.
  16. Tavi

Tavi First Sergeant (11) Member

Valiant is close enough. :p

17. emilio1973

emilio1973 First Sergeant (11) Member

This tread is rly funy:D.

First: I wud send this dude aFu_Ak47CatAni.gif to all suicides who use this tactic :).

Second: this 3 bombs when explodes, are only for reson when some 1 come to close to your tank and try to eliminate you from game, PERIOD

And fainly : My words when some 1 use this move in my game on me or my team mate are : NEXT KICK NOOB :D:D:D

. SSL2.jpg

jgalloway64 and Raichu like this.
  18. Raichu

Raichu Sergeant Major (12) Member

EMILIO PROOOOOOOOO

jgalloway64 likes this.
  19. 15Galaxy15

15Galaxy15 First Sergeant (11) Member

I loved the cat :p

JohannZim likes this.
  20. TankFrank

TankFrank Command Sergeant Major (13) Former Moderator

Your logic is not simple, yours isn't logic. Try to follow me for a second: if you are in a 3vs3 team death match game and you are almost dead because the enemies picked only on you, while your teammates are fully healthy, then you HAVE NOT LOST the game since your mates are all dead. Can you understand the fact that until all your mates are alive, even if you are dead you are still in-game trying to win the battle? And, as a consequence of that, if you can act in a legal way in order to help your team to achieve the main goal, then there's no reason to not doing that.

I could agree with you that in a 1vs1 match the suicide tactic is ridicoulous since... it's just not a tactic, because it does not give any advantage to you: you lost and that's all. Suiciding does not make you become the winner. But I was obviously not talking about this case since the beginning.

It is certainly true that not everything that is admitted by the game is equally accettable; for example an overuse of items (like an overuse of sheilds) it is admitted but it's largely questionable, since it's not fair to those who cannot afford to use like 10 sheilds for game, and by the way it's kinda ridicoulous to act in this way.

BUT the suicide thing IS fair, since it's an opportunity given by the game both to your team and to the enemy's. It's not something you have to buy and/or something that is only given to few.

In conclusion, the suicide thing in a 2vs2 or 3vs3 death match is definitely not an act that comes from not being able to handle with the loss, rather an attempt to win the game through a legal move that must be dealt with.

cacadun likes this.
  21. Goldschlarger

That's my point, this game should not be compered to real life what so ever!!

22. Erile

Erile First Sergeant (11) Member

Actually, go see Fury (2014), there's some tank self-sacrifice in there. ;)

23. JohannZim

JohannZim Sergeant Major of the Army (14) Member

Suiciding is part of the game... such as itens... but there's a fairplay among elite players like @Sammik said. You have all the right to use whatever you want... but the host also have the right to kick you if he dislikes what you did.

Personally that's what i do. I dont like suicides or itens... so if someone suicides or uses something i dont complain/say anything... i just kick him after... that way he can try joining other room that share his convictions and have fun playing and i can play my room the way i have fun. Everyone gets happy and the game serve its purpose of being fun ;)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  24. Goldschlarger

*sigh* lol was just makeing a point to people who are trying to compare this game to real life war, imo that's just stupid logic!!

25. Holy2334

Holy2334 Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

This was me yesterday.
    >Goes in game
    >Guy commits suicide next to me.
    >Goes to teach him a next lesson
    >Fails suicide
    >Attempts to teach him a lesson again
    >Fails suicide again
    >F*** this (leaves)
    Honestly, I don't get mad at people who do it because I have done it before, but it gets really annoying when they do it constantly.