1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please register or sign in to get full access to the forum.

Reasonable Progression

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Argonwolf, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Argonwolf

Argonwolf New Born (1) Member

I know this has probably been said before but hear me out, please.

I am as hardcore as a casual gamer can get. I play games like SSL (steam version) as much as I can when time allows. But the thing about this game is that it is extraordinarily difficult to make reasonable progress through the levels. Even though I spend hours a day playing these games (I played both flash SSLs too), I never feel like I'm getting very far in the leveling up. As many weapons as there are, and almost certainly will be in the future, is it too much to ask to make progression a little gentler? All 3 games have been super grindy when it comes to leveling, and only a hardcore player who pours in hundreds of hours can expect to enjoy decent weapons. I'm not just saying this as a noob; I'm a fairly average, possibly even slightly above average player. I'd love to be able to enjoy all the weapons other people get to with a reasonable amount of effort. When the time it takes to earn the level 80 weapon would earn you thousands of dollars at a minimum wage job, you're making leveling too difficult.

I'm not suggesting that higher-level players get screwed out of rewards for their efforts. But perhaps you could make the progression slightly more linear and less exponential? It would prevent players like me from getting trapped in the advancement curve because we can't stand to play for 20 hours just to earn one weapon. And there are other benefits for higher-level players you could add such as additional upgrade opportunities.

Just my thoughts, and if you got this far thanks for reading.

2. Taylor

Taylor Brigadier General (21) Former Moderator

Thank you for posting this.
    It was a very good read and liked many of your points.

3. Argonwolf

Thank you, I can only hope the developer thinks so as well. I love Shellshock Live so much I hate to see it stagnating.

Taylor likes this.
  4. xXTacocubesXx

xXTacocubesXx Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

It's funny because a while ago, kChamp put out a huge update that greatly reduced the amount of xp required to reach lvl 80. But now it still takes forever to make much progress. Especially from 81-100. It's just depressing, honestly. There's already a few who have reached lvl 100 or are very close. It's my hope as well that I can reach that goal as well. But then again, these are hardcore players. I see little point in trying to reach that goal if I'm not having that much fun doing it. Mostly, it's just me and a buddy staring at a screen for hours, mindlessly shooting projectiles and volleys at each other *sigh*. But recently, kChamp put out a new tournaments mode, which I was pretty impressed with despite the bugs, lack of features, and only 100hp. I have a good feeling with added improvements, overhauls, and fixes, this tourney mode could help make the game a lot more enjoyable. I agree with you something should be done (again) about the leveling system. It could be buffed again, but then this raises the situation of "Oh you got to level 100? Betcha couldn't do it before the xp update!" But remember, we're still in beta so we all shouldn't have to take such matters too seriously. Perhaps instead, we could have more rewards and fun things happen in-between level-ups. That could be a good idea, just gotta figure out what to do with it. Making leveling up easier and faster sounds great. But wouldn't it be so cool if the average playtime to lvl 100 for ssl steam was really long and there was so much growth and twists and turns and craziness and awesomeness up to that point? Perhaps that's the point. Maybe it should take the same amount of time to make a fortune with a minimum wage job. You start off as the weak underdog, then slowly rise up through the ranks and become a freaking boss. It should feel like some kind of career. I'd take that over just a few months or weeks of playing and then "Hey! I'm lvl 100! I guess.. I guess I'm done with this game already. Off to play a different game then!" But yeah, have no doubt that your efforts are appreciated, man.

Argonwolf and Taylor like this.
  5. Argonwolf

I'd say you're correct, lowering the leveling curve too much could make it seem too easy for some people that play a lot, and then it won't feel special. I like the idea of having more stuff in and around the existing level curve that let you progress without having to level up at all. Also maybe a little bit of balance so high-level weapons don't automatically do more damage than low-level ones without even leveling that specific weapon up.

Taylor and xXTacocubesXx like this.
  6. Taylor

I think way more challenges added on a more regular basis would keep people on aiming for them. They could also feature weapons, xp amounts, and other prizes. This would make leveling some what fun and keep people distracted. Also having more shop items.

What we currently have is laughable cause we have more gears then we know what to do with. Everything that comes out we can just at up so fast cause of the vast amount many of us process. We wear out even the new weapons by maxing them not logn after they are put up cause well there isn't a steady amount being put in frequently to keep up with us. Lastly the few challenges we have are few and the rewards aren't that great, I mean 2k for gettign 10k wins and plays?

Too much to mention though and its mostly the fault of slow development we have gotten so ahead of him.

xXTacocubesXx likes this.
  7. SubZero

SubZero Sergeant First Class (9) Member

Mr. Bach has been saying this for 2 months, if not longer. obviously Kyle is 1 man so it's gona take awhile to complete this game.

8. Taylor

And there was countless before him saying this the first two months. We all know it takes time and most of us don't mind how long. I was just saying what was on my mind, its not my fault everyone has been repeating the same things for months lol.

I suppose we are just trying to keep the ideas fresh in hopes they get some attention by the one who can implement them.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  9. RumMumMario

RumMumMario Lieutenant General (23) Member

Lowering the required amount of XP should not be hard at all in terms of coding. You're just tweaking the values of the XP needed so there must be some reasons why Kyle's not doing anything about it.

Honestly though if the game was actually balanced, fun and less repetitive w/considerable player-base this wouldn't be as much of a problem. If the game is fun then the grind should be fun too, and if you're getting the thoughts of "how long till i get this shit" then that's an ocular proof that the game is not really good, at least for me. I think the XP for levels may not need any change except Lv70+ which can get absurdly tedious, but if Kyle's going to take that path then he needs to implement a lot more unlocks along the way that would keep us motivated and interested.

But then again all of this shit won't happen within the next couple of decades probably.
    Tough luck fam, this is one of the controversy we've been ranting about since the release for almost a year but Kyle barely spoke anything about it. Some of your ideas are cool, but you should spend that energy on something else. The dev won't bother checking it out anyway and we got plenty that are yet to be seen.
    Those levels definitely do need a tweak, some of us spent 500+ hours for those 30 levels. But they should still be fairly grindy or else the prestige tag it has won't mean anything.

My emotion towards the amount of discussions we've had about these types of topics:

xXTacocubesXx likes this.
  10. Holy2334

Holy2334 Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

I like this idea! Adding something between levels (particularly the prestige levels) would be a great idea as being rewarded with stuff as you go always makes a person interested in what the next thing they are going to get and how not that far it is from getting the next thing.

Personally I'm not to fond of the xp being lowered again simply because it's less than what is required already in SSL2 to get the "Max" level which is 10th prestige! The other way would be to simply speed up progress all together by having double xp events and ways to get double xp to speed things along a bit. I would be really happy if he did this during the steam Holiday sale as there is a lot of advantages in doing it around that time :)

xXTacocubesXx and Taylor like this.