1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please register or sign in to get full access to the forum.

Rework How Items Are Used

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Amaterasu, Sep 3, 2015.

?

Do you think this could add a serious new level of strategy to the game as well as variety?

1. I think it would definitely add strategy and variety

80.0%
  2. I don't think it would

20.0%
  1. Amaterasu

Amaterasu Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

I had made a post under @Mallard King's "The SSL rut and possible ways to get out of it." thread. It talked about reworking the item system in a major way that could add a huge new level of strategy to game and not just a set of items on which just starts an item war about whoever has more of that item wins. This is going to be a copy paste, but I deleted the original comment.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I was thinking of one way to spice the game-play up a good bit. It has to do with items.

Items in general are a pretty cool idea on what they do, but the problem with them is, is that they're cheap tactics. In the end it all depends on who has more of that item; that's why most players don't like using them or others using them.

But I was thinking remove the entire item thing and make them abilities that require energy.

My idea was this exactly

Your base energy would be 100.

When the game starts, you start off with 0 energy. Each ability would require different amount of energy to use. I was thinking roughly this:
    (If you make it 200 this could make a flexible way of adding some more items.)

Teleport: 30

EMP Blast: 50

Supply Drop: 100

Jet Pack: 20

Shield: 80
    (Proposal: Instead of removing all damage, have it block 66% of damage up to 150 damage. Still lasts for the same amount of turns)

Tracer: 25

(Idea) Random: 40

Every round you get 15 energy back. (Maybe add a feature like Rest in which you would get 30 energy back, but can't attack that turn. Perhaps so you don't have people trolling make it an every other turn thing or you have to wait one turn longer to use it again every time you use it)

I think this could contribute into a big a part of the game that would be equally fair for everyone since everyone would have access to it.

As well as you could perhaps add a skill tree that would allow you get additional perks.

(Each regular thing could be how much your total is so if you had it maxed it would be 200 instead of 100, Possible perks: 20 energy every round, 30 for resting, 5% chance at additional energy every round, when using supply drop chance to get item you don't have unlocked yet, start with 10 energy, etc...)

This would also go kinda well with the leveling system of the items maybe maxing out item levels at like 5 or 10 or something.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    Credipede and Elebil like this.
  2. Elebil

Elebil Private E-2 (3) Member

This is awesome suggestion. The items on SSL2/SSLS are mostly never used with the actual system.

The proposed system would make everyone start using items and making every single game better.

As an added suggestion, killing enemies and crates may give you energy too.

3. Batgirl

Batgirl Lieutenant Colonel (19) Member

Tracer looks like it uses too much energy

4. Amaterasu

I edited it, I think that would work better.

Batgirl likes this.
  5. Batgirl

Batgirl Lieutenant Colonel (19) Member

60?

I mean that there's already past shot traceR

6. Holy2334

Holy2334 Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

Should tele & jet pack be the same amount of energy or jet pack cost more energy than tele? Because tele can be a lot useless sometimes than jetpack.

I'm good with this suggestion although I'm fine with how it is now. The only real item that's a pain to deal with is shield, and honestly kyle should give emps the chance to disable the shield whenever someone uses them. As well as 1 more anti-shield weapon that's between the very weak earthquake and the bit powerful laser. Something for medium players to have at least. All of the other items aren't really gonna make big game changers anyways, and shield is by far the only one that does.

7. referee11

referee11 First Lieutenant (16) Member

I wouldn't say THAT. EMPs can stop people from getting boxes at critical moments; Teleport can get out of a Quicksand hole which they can't climb; Jetpack can help you get out if you are dug a smaller distance in; Tracers can help you make tough shots in big moments.
    I think every item has game-changing capacity.
    Also, I'll just put what I said about the comment in that other thread here, in summary. I think this strategy would lead to a lot of no item games. The fact someone could just wait and farm from shields really sucks, and would take more from the game, rather than adding strategy. 1/4 of the time, you could have a shield on, and I don't think that is what would be good for the game. I think this would be a better addition when the new players come in, rather than now, while our community small and items have a bad reputation.

Holy2334 likes this.
  8. Holy2334

Holy2334 Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

Yea, but all of those items have setbacks to them and are a lot easier to counter than Shield. Shield has no setbacks to it and is really difficult to counter. Thats why nobody likes people using them though.

9. Amaterasu

I made a proposal to reduce the effectiveness but not make it useless OR super weak. It's where how much shield would cost.

10. referee11

referee11 First Lieutenant (16) Member

Perfect :D
    I still think we should wait to implement this, but we have a real plan now. :)