1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please register or sign in to get full access to the forum.

Several issues I have with the map editor

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Aroetem, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Aroetem

Aroetem New Born (1) Member

Hello.

I bought the map editor, and although it is nice to have, it's also very limited in its uses.

For one thing, what's up with it having only 3 save slots? I'd like to be able to save more than 3 maps at a time.

Secondly, it'd be nice to be able to set how far apart or close together a team spawns - or even better, exactly where on the map each tank spawns. As it is, I have to build the maps around the tanks, and them being so close together makes that difficult and limits my creativity.

Lastly, I'd like more variety in creating the landscapes themselves. Yes, building vertically is nice, but what about building HORIZONTALLY? It would open up so many new creative routes to take, as you'd be able to build things like caverns, ledges, etc.

But yeah, while nice, I feel that as it is, the map editor is extremely limited, and updating it with these things would make it a whole lot better and approachable as a way to be creative. As it stands, there's only so much you can do with its limited editing tools.

Anyone else have any ideas as to what kChamp should add to improve the editor?

2. Staple

Staple General of the Army (25) Member

I agree. This would increase the value of Custom Maps.

3. KarasuG

KarasuG Private E-2 (3) Member

I don't want to waste my money on custom maps, but the only suggestion I would agree with is more save slots. Moving spawn points seems unreasonable in that all of the current maps are built around the tanks having the same spawn points. Building horizontally would not only be challenging to program, but meaningless in battle. Ledges can already be made as cliffs, and caverns would only entice people to waste their turns hiding, as well as adding vulnerability if opponents find a way to fire inward, and blowing up the land would cause many more problems.

4. Aroetem

Not programming in the option to have different spawn points just because it'd be something new? Seems a bit silly to me. And yes, I know that if an option to place spawn points ANYWHERE on the map existed, it'd be abused, so why not a simple option to make the spawn points for each team something like 1 tank-length between each tank, two tank-lengths, etc? That'd be much better for my and others' creativity, as we'd have more room to work with without making the game unfair for either team.

As for caverns, yes, I suppose they could entice players to hide, but what good would that do? How would they win by doing so? It's not like they'd have any more of a shot to hit an opponent as they would to hit them.

Yes, I know that adding the ability to horizontally edit maps wouldn't be any easy thing to do for the developer, but it WOULD greatly increase the variety of maps available as well as make the ability to create original maps easier. As it is, the map editor is very limited; you can't deny that.

But yeah, if anything, the ability to have multiple team spawn-point options would be greatly appreciated, and, above all, is something that wouldn't be difficult to implement into the game.
    I doubt anything as major as a horizontal editing option will ever exist in this game, though - that's just highly wishful thinking.

And of course, more save slots is an absolute must.

5. RumMumMario

RumMumMario Lieutenant General (23) Member

I support.

6. KarasuG

KarasuG Private E-2 (3) Member

Moving spawn points wouldn't be much of an issue if there were a very limited window to how far you could move them. But I don't see a problem with where they are as it is.

7. RumMumMario

Ah but we got to be able to make FFA maps.

Team maps are mirror-ed.
    But FFAs arent.

Archgoat88 likes this.
  8. Aroetem

If you've never used the map editor, then I definitely understand why you'd say that; but, coming from someone who has, the single spawn-point option really does limit creativity, as you have to build around the exact same 6 tank-spawn spots for every map if you don't want players to spawn in stupid areas. Being able to switch the distance between spawn points would allow us to build our maps differently.

9. RumMumMario

I agree with Aroetem.

We can click the tank and drag it, and click the tank once and you can move that tank with YOUR fuel level & traction