1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please register or sign in to get full access to the forum.

Skill Rating

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by smb718, Aug 13, 2015.

1. smb718

smb718 Sergeant First Class (9) Member

http://ideas.theideawall.com/ShellShockLive/Forum/TopicDetails/f8101065-15f8-41e8-bd6c-1f0ee8871efa

I suggest adding a skill rating system to add another aspect to this game and make it more competitive. It would work quite simply: Everyone would begin with a ranking of 0, and winning/losing a match would result in a addition/reduction in skill rating. There would be no going below a rating of 0, so new players won't get completely screwed when they first start.

The system would assign different point values based on the difference in skill rating between the players. I am sure a formula could be made, but here is just a suggestion:
    Difference in Skill: Points Gained/Lost
    0-50: 10 points
    51-75: 9 points
    76-100: 8 points
    101-125: 7 points
    126-150: 6 points
    151-175: 5 points
    176-200: 4 points
    201-225: 3 points
    226-250: 2 points
    251+: 1 point
    When first begun, the system will be a little chaotic with everyone at skill 0, but overtime it will even out to a sizable spread.

With this, more achievements and unlockables can come about. It will also add another feel to the game. At its current state, the game is very grind heavy with little competitive spirit.

To not hurt people who like to grind, only "ranking games", a choosable option when creating a game, will cause a difference in points.

In the future, skill rating can also determine the brackets in which tournaments will be in.

Any thoughts?

2. Demon45

Demon45 Private E-1 (2) Member

Its a good idea but I think it would need something like plus 2 points per kill and per 50 xp just so if you have a good game but still lose your ranking shouldn't go down. Like 3 kills and 150 xp in assassin but then get killed etc. Or some different formula, just throwing out an idea.

JohannZim likes this.
  3. kChamp

kChamp Developer Developer

I think that's a great idea

4. xXTacocubesXx

xXTacocubesXx Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

The closer the fight, the higher risk/reward. Brilliant, yet simple. I love it!

Taylor likes this.
  5. JohannZim

JohannZim Sergeant Major of the Army (14) Member

Great idea! But how the rating will classify a loss in a multiplayer match? Lets say 4vs4 where you killed 2 guys but lost the match? Maybe adding @Demon45 idea can solve this... but it has to be done right in proportional matters.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    Taylor likes this.
  6. xXTacocubesXx

Good point. You should not be penalized for being outmatched and carrying a weak team.

Taylor likes this.
  7. JohannZim

Yeah another thing that also happens: you take away 1200 dmg in a match but you dont get any kill cause someone shoot the dying player... how will that be counted? Actually counting the dmg you deal is prob the most fair formula do solve this instead of kills... but i'm not sure.

8. Nightwing

Nightwing Staff Sergeant (8) Member

Scoob Skill Rating:
    "It's over 9000!!!"-Vegeta.
    "10/10 best skillz"-New York Times
    "Such Good Much Wow"-Doge

Hells Fury and RumMumMario like this.
  9. RumMumMario

RumMumMario Lieutenant General (23) Member

"20 points update coming soon!" -kChamp

Nightwing likes this.
  10. xXTacocubesXx

Yeah like in big games it could be a little unfair if someone else steals your kill. Maybe an assist bonus could be given. It could also be unfair in ffa and team games if people focus on one player and kill him and he loses skill points because of it. Edit: Perhaps the game will take into account how many people are firing on one specific player per turn (all, team, or single shot mode). The more people that aim for that specific player, the fewer skill points they get. Because it's easier to kill someone when you team on them. This could somewhat help encourage more fair play in team and ffa matches. But I think no matter what we do, people will complain about their skill points being messed up.

11. MeowrPower

MeowrPower Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

I think it should be broken into 2 areas ranked and unranked. So that way people can have fun without loss of their points.

Also to stop people trying to get high and then not playing any more at a high score (and if this were to be a leader board) have it so that after a week, every 24 hours after that you lose 10 points to a minimum of maybe 100?

Maybe add in a random match making so as high rank people don't purposely choose low rank people and also so a low rank player cant just keep kicking players. If this is implemented I think it should at least get a trial with only dm or points that way a fair way of calculating points for the other 2 modes can be thought up :p

12. JohannZim

Yeah... what i can observe is a million ways people will cheat into this.

Maybe now is the time to implement that "duel" game mode someone suggestted as the ranking counter (and have no ranking for the other modes). A game mode that both players get the EXACTLY same weps to duel each other... in this game mode the itens and shot tracers are off by default.
    To avoid someone playing a lot with a specific player... Kyle can make only 2 ranking matches per player in a week... so if you want to keep playing that oponent in the same week... it will stop counting for ranking.

We could also have the ranking counting for tournaments and clan matches... as well a clan ranking system. And have those both rankings shown in a leaderboard... so we don't have only the xp leaderboard.

13. Captain Curt

Captain Curt Private E-1 (2) Member

This game is too random to have skill ranked by a number system. A kill does not equal skill. It's nothing but the last person that gets to shoot you. And also, the better you are at the game, the more people try to kill you fast. So you may be the most skilled, but you end up losing chances to show that skill by dying quickly. Also, XP doesn't mean skill either. Just means you play the most. The only way to judge skill is by the talent of the player you watch in the game. @JohannZim you are right, people can cheat the system, that is why I don't care about damage records, it can all be cheated. The original post is not a bad idea, but it's just not suited for this type of game.

14. Goomba

Goomba Sergeant First Class (9) Member

This reminds me of Mario Kart :)

Getting VR and BR for races, initially starting with 5000, and if you do good in a race, you may gain like 140. If you came in last, you would lose about 50. The higher you go, the harder it is to gain points, all the way until 9999. And hilariously, the other direction you lose points until you get to the point where you can do the worst and still gain points.

Not saying this is the direction this idea should go, it just reminded me of Mario Kart, thanks for the nostalgia :D

RumMumMario likes this.
  15. Batgirl

Batgirl Lieutenant Colonel (19) Member

This idea starting to sound more like a leaderboard to grind again

The skill system could be determined by the overall rating of your stats (Accuracy, w/l, k/d, Total hours spent, etc).

For ranked tourneys, the further u reach to the finals the the more skill points u gain. eSports rules jk XD

Add those together And voila u get a skill system. Maybe the player with bad stats always win the finals or the best stats never get 1st place would not always stay on the spot in the skill system

edit: using items lowers your skill rating

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    Taylor likes this.