1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please register or sign in to get full access to the forum.

Steam Solutions

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Goomba, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Goomba

Goomba Sergeant First Class (9) Member

It's just been announced recently that SSL is coming to Steam, whether this be a ShellShock Live 2 upgrade, or an entire new game is unknown so far. What is known has been the recipient for quite a bit of controversy recently. This controversy is reaching fans in both ways, some are anticipating it, and some are negating it's existence. Here is my go at solving a few of the potential issues:
    Firstly, and most importantly:
    The Pay to Win Situation:
    Alright, so suppose kChamp actually... ahem, reads this thread. Easily the most controversial thing about Shellshock Live in general is the fact that if you give kChamp money, he essentially gives you superiority in return. It makes it hard to lose a game if the more (and better) weapons you own contribute to your randomized arsenal, the weapon crates do not compensate for the free players' lack of overpowered weapons. So how do you overcome this? It's not too late ! Since it's still in development how about this.
    Make EVERY single weapon in the game obtainable without tank coins, whether this means:
    Extreme Leveling: 100 levels ?
    Unique Prestiging: 50 levels with weapons, prestige, then unlock 50 more different weapons
    Challenges: Maybe every time you complete a unique achievement you get a weapon
    Upgrading: And not with tank coins, how about: Shoot 500 Creeks to unlock the River. Shoot 500 Sprouters to unlock the Blossom, etc.
    Single Player Mode: There's no going back on this, it was in the trailer, so why not make up the Single Player comprised of unlockable weapons, hell even, since you wouldn't need internet connection, maybe combine this with extreme leveling to max out at level 100.
    Tournaments: Also were announced, I feel like winners in tournaments should get a single special weapon to add to their list, maybe one weapon a week/month ?
    As for future weapon packs, I will get into that a little bit later.
    No Overpowered Tanks:
    Every single thing that someone who pays to unlock, an average free-to-play player should be able to get as well. Paying should merely expedite the unlocking a little bit (and I don't mean waiting years to accumulate enough tank coins for lifetime deluxe and a single weapon pack). Especially if this game will cost at launch. This isn't going to be a basic little flash game anymore, if you are entering Steam, you're in the competition zone, you're competing in a domain where Call of Duty and Portal run the market. So naturally micro transactions are a turn off if they alter gameplay.
    With this said, fully upgrading your tank? Should not cost anything, there should be enough tank upgrades to fully upgrade your tank, and maybe even with the option to prestige your tank.
    Tank Coin Functions:
    The Tank Coins, I see should be actually increased! And by increase, I mean make them fairly frequent (Earn 1 Tank Coin every winning match), for completing challenges, and in crates much more frequently. With earning Tank Coins more easily, people will be more attracted to the game, and allow replayability. Now with that said, it's all nice and dandy, but if you earn tank coins more easily then the prices of things should be bumped up. (Or you could ignore all of this and implement Towel's Tank Ticket idea, because that makes things a whole lot easier.)
    What can be bought with Tank Coins:
    • Extra Tanks: If people want to spend money on tanks, let them, so long as they don't have any special attributes.
    • Extra Maps: There are more than enough maps unlocked for free, so if people want to spend money on maps, that's their decision.
    • Items: Why not? Nobody buys them anyway, because they're so easily obtained.
    • Weapon Points: Any person can upgrade weapons themselves, so this doesn't alter the gameplay.
    • Themes: If you want a theme so badly, go ahead and buy one.
    • Special Perks: And what I mean by special, is something that is mainly useless. Or just not over-powered by any means. (I don't want to see a perk called "Ninja Gear" that allows you to dodge 50% of bullets)
    • Accessories: Have an accessory shop, it's own separate window, that has hundreds of purchasable accessories for your tank that cost ranging prices. Subtle/ugly accessories could cost anywhere from 1-5 tank coins, while let's say you purchase "Demon Wings" that would be larger and cooler looking would be in the hundreds. These obviously would be only for aesthetics, and rims would fall in this category.
    Veteran Rewards:
    This is the tossup, Kyle said and I quote: "your hard work and purchases in SSL2 will be rewarded in the new builds." So this means all the pay to win players automatically get all their pay to win features back immediately, unless this thread is put into effect. So to avoid having these distinctly large advantages over new or free to play players, what can the Veteran Rewards be? Well here I have a few:
    • Tank Coin Prize (Much like redeeming Tank Coins from transferring between SSL1 and SSL2, so long as the Tank Coins can not be used to gain advantages over other players)
    • Weapon Levels Retained: This should be an option to retain your weapon levels or not, many people would not want to upgrade their shot all the way to level 5 again.
    • Grab Bags: Depending on how much you played (judged by XP) you can earn Grab Bags, which reward you with various things.
    Leather Bag: 1 tank, small tank coin bonus. Bronze Bag: 2 tanks, 2 maps, medium tank coin bonus.
    Silver Bag: 4 tanks, 4 maps, Perk, large tank coin bonus. Gold Bag: 6 tanks, 6 maps, 2 Perks, extra large tank coin bonus. Platinum Bag: 8 tanks, 8 maps, 2 Perks + upgrade, and extra large tank coin bonus.
    Ultimate Bag: 10 tanks, 10 maps, 4 perks + full upgrades, and huge tank coin bonus.
    • Maybe cashing in your tank can grant you special features depending on the amount of XP. Map designer + upgrades to it, deluxe bonuses, or maybe a possible tank designer?
    Deluxe and Other Versions:
    Depending on how advanced this game will be on Steam, whether it's just the enhanced visual form of SSL2, or if it has all sorts of new features added, that should determine the price of the game. But we all know kChamp wants money, so I see buying the game going like this:
    If there are not many changes to SSL2:
    Price: Free
    If there are:
    Standard Game: $5.99 (Gives you all standard features)
    Deluxe Version: $9.99 (Gives you lifetime deluxe)
    Omega Version: $14.99 (Gives you Omega status)

Now what Deluxe should do in this game? Not be overpowered:
    4 Deluxe Tanks 2XP SLOT MACHINE (At the end of each match)
    Deluxe Emblem Possible Accessories
    No Advertisements Early Access (And mean it!)

Omega:
    8 Omega Tanks 2XP Every game
    Omega Emblem Possible accessories
    No Advertisements Maps/Weapon Upgrade/XP Bonus/etc
    2 Perks + Upgrades Early Access

That's what I think they should be, that halt the game from being biased towards people who pay.

And Fixes/Other Things:
    Finish ShellShock Live 2 first !
    Increase Friend List/Invite Steam Friends
    Moderators or bots, or a /ban command (that works once per IP)
    Other things to implement can be found all over the forum, look at them Kyle.
    More interaction with the community, show us that you're listening to us.

And with that, I hope this makes a little dent of a change, and brings more players to the 'new' game.
    But I doubt it will :p

xXxTnTxXx, Taylor, lopy and 2 others like this.
  2. RumMumMario

RumMumMario Lieutenant General (23) Member

I hate to see Kyle keep making new stuff with no reason but because he simply got bored of the game.

It's like when a kid gets so motivated on studying, and quits 3 days later because he eventually lost interest in it.

Please Kyle, finish your work and that is all we ask for.

Demon45 and Taylor like this.
  3. GhostKing1239

GhostKing1239 Command Sergeant Major (13) Member

I'm really impressed he did a big upgrade to the game. 3 years of playing this game and never thought it would grow to be this big. I'm proud of kChamp and im glad he added lots of suggestions especially mine, Singleplayer. Thank you :).

Taylor likes this.